Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How Good Was Jeff Fenech?

Jeff Fenech is not an ATG. Had he beaten Nelson then he may have been seen as one but it was the rematch that solidified my thinking that he would never be one. I'd had previous doubts about him since the Zarate fight, specifically about how he reacted to adversity (or in this fight, preceived adversity...check out Fenech's reaction after the fight ended and he thought for a moment that Zarate had been given a TKO win on a cut)

At his best though, he was a monster who largely flew under the boxing world's radar
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Do you not think putting on that level of performance in his 4th division against one of the most highly regarded fighters of that time demonstrates that he was a great fighter? Especially considering a lot of people consider it a robbery.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Jeff Fenech is not an ATG. Had he beaten Nelson then he may have been seen as one but it was the rematch that solidified my thinking that he would never be one. I'd had previous doubts about him since the Zarate fight, specifically about how he reacted to adversity (or in this fight, preceived adversity...check out Fenech's reaction after the fight ended and he thought for a moment that Zarate had been given a TKO win on a cut)

At his best though, he was a monster who largely flew under the boxing world's radar
It was only a shadow of the great Carlos Zarate that Fenech beat, but I'm sure I've heard Zarate quoted that he thinks even at his peak he couldn't have beaten Fenech. High praise indeed and if Zarate didn't honestly think it, he would have no cause to say it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Do you not think putting on that level of performance in his 4th division against one of the most highly regarded fighters of that time demonstrates that he was a great fighter? Especially considering a lot of people consider it a robbery.
Absolutely! I remember getting ready to watch Tyson/Ruddock, being excied about watching Nelson school this aussie who at the time I knew very lettle about....mid-way through I realized he was no joke. Nelson is my favorite non-Philly fighter, and I was upsetthat a draw was the decision...When a fighter ives a performance like Fench's he deserves the decision he has earned. to do this a you said well above his natural weight class against a high caliber opponent shows he was a great....the level of greatness is really the only thing that is debateable.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pfff the worst austrailian named jeff that won titles in 3 divisions in the 80s.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I would say that Fenech was really fighting someone his own size when he fought Nelson But it showed that he didn't need to be the bigger man to outhustle and outfight a top fighter.

A real shame he never fought Esparragoza IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
It was only a shadow of the great Carlos Zarate that Fenech beat, but I'm sure I've heard Zarate quoted that he thinks even at his peak he couldn't have beaten Fenech. High praise indeed and if Zarate didn't honestly think it, he would have no cause to say it.
True, Zarate was a 36 year old who'd been retired for about 7 years and had fought nobody since making a comeback. High praise indeed from Carlos, although I wonder if he meant that he could never beat Fenech at 122 rather than 118. Zarate had little success when fighting the bigger boys and Fenech was a big 122 lber
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Samart was a fighting machine. Weight drained, I know, but the beating Fenech put on him was frightening.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I reckon at 122 there was Gomez, Fenech....then daylight. Nobody would have troubled either of them too much at the weight

At 126 Fenech found them a bit stronger and since one of his strengths was his strength and pressure they didn't fall as easily as the smaller guys. His mangled hands didn't help the situation. With a healthy pair and a bit more power he would have been incredible
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
True, Zarate was a 36 year old who'd been retired for about 7 years and had fought nobody since making a comeback. High praise indeed from Carlos, although I wonder if he meant that he could never beat Fenech at 122 rather than 118. Zarate had little success when fighting the bigger boys and Fenech was a big 122 lber
I don't know that Zarate applied any weight qualification to his assessment of Fenech? But Zarate was an absolute wrecking ball, even though slight in build. It came as high praise indeed for Fenech, and I was quite shocked to hear it at the time.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
I reckon at 122 there was Gomez, Fenech....then daylight. Nobody would have troubled either of them too much at the weight

At 126 Fenech found them a bit stronger and since one of his strengths was his strength and pressure they didn't fall as easily as the smaller guys. His mangled hands didn't help the situation. With a healthy pair and a bit more power he would have been incredible
Not even sure Fenech needed more power with the relentless tempo he had. But a sounder pair of hands would have been extremely useful and who knows how good he could have been then?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fair enough. His hands forced him into holding back although at 126 you could see his punches had less effect aginst the better fighters

As an aside..Fenech's attitude wasn't too good at times. For the Nelson rematch he's quoted as saying he thought he's walk right through him, which isn't a good attitude to have against Azumah Nelson. His longtime trainer had also literally kicked him out of the gym and told him to come back only when he'd learnt respect and humility
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

To be fair the beating he laid on Villasana would've stopped a few. Villasana was one of the hardest men I've ever seen!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I watched Paul Hodkinson fight Villasana and remember thinking that since Hoko was a lesser version of Fenech so he was in for a very long night. Hoko started well but ended up with both eyed closed and unable to see a thing
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Oh, savage that one, but pretty good operator was Hoko.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum