Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #31
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East,England
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 1176
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
The last two guys he fought before tonight were just decent. They both got bludgeoned. Maybe he is done. Maybe he is not.



A North American champion. I know these days you're either shit or a star but coming into the sport as he did and getting a hold of a good regional title is not nothing. I'm sorry, it's not. There are journeymen who work their asses off trying to get just to that level who put everything they've got into it and have amateur pedigree and still don't make it. Seth hopped in from another sport and got there with his grit, determination and power. Why so many "fans" on here seem to take more pleasure in seeing one guy lose than another guy win is beyond me, honestly. Especially one who, as you say, is a class act from everything he's shown, thus far.
Good post,I don't take pleasure in it however ... it's worrying that a former cruiserweight who isn't really known as a big puncher had him in so much ****ing trouble,he was allover the place and just couldn't recover,this doesn't bode well for him if he were to face a natural HW that can punch just as hard as he can,he'll end up seriously hurt,he looked really troubled aswell by that first knock down almost to the point of tears,was quite disturbing.
lordgore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #32
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 2137
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulver View Post
No way are Fury and Price as bad as Mitchell.

Dereck Chisora would murder Mitchell. Fury beat Chisora.

Mitchell is a JOKE.

A FLAT OUT BUM.
Nah. Let's be fair on the guy. He's no bum.
Again, it boils down to basics and fundamentals that he had to learn in the pro ranks, not in the amateurs. Nobody knows how good anyone is until they're hit. Mitchell came from one sport and tried to learn another...not easy. He's not the first football player to try his hand at boxing, and he won't be the last. None have been successful.

His bodypunching is something I really wish more heavyweights had. Our current heavyweight titleists don't know how to throw a decent left hook to the body, for example. He's certainly more physically talented than the likes of Wach or Arreola...but it doesn't seem like he can take a good shot, and as useless as Wach is, that's the one thing he's good for.

Price is in the same boat as Mitchell in many ways...one loss can really set a fighter back if time isn't one his side. The big difference though is that Price does have a good amateur backround.
But we'll not know how good he truly is until he's hit.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #33
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East,England
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 1176
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Nah. Let's be fair on the guy. He's no bum.
Again, it boils down to basics and fundamentals that he had to learn in the pro ranks, not in the amateurs. Nobody knows how good anyone is until they're hit. Mitchell came from one sport and tried to learn another...not easy. He's not the first football player to try his hand at boxing, and he won't be the last. None have been successful.

His bodypunching is something I really wish more heavyweights had. Our current heavyweight titleists don't know how to throw a decent left hook to the body, for example. He's certainly more physically talented than the likes of Wach or Arreola...but it doesn't seem like he can take a good shot, and as useless as Wach is, that's the one thing he's good for.

Price is in the same boat as Mitchell in many ways...one loss can really set a fighter back if time isn't one his side. The big difference though is that Price does have a good amateur backround.
But we'll not know how good he truly is until he's hit.
Good points and it does come down to fundamentals etc etc but you'd have thought at this point in his career they'd have taught him how to hold on properly when hurt? Or taught him any kind of actual defense atall to be fair.
lordgore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #34
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,956
vCash: 26664
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulver View Post
I think the pleasure they take is because Mitchell was an obvious hype job by HBO and Al Haymon.

When you really listen to what Seth says, he obviously is still in love with the game of football. Boxing is just something he thought he could do out of necessity. But it's hard to be great at boxing if you don't really love the sport.

And Mitchell just plainly can't take a hard shot.

Like I said, he's a nice guy and would make a good assistant coach in football. That is where he should go next.
He got a devastating knockout when he was given his big TV slot, instead of falling apart or not showing any guts or gumption like a great deal of prospects end up doing, and over a guy that had never been stopped, and he blew him out early. That earns you hype. And of course the channel took advantage of that. Aren't you actually supposed to back a guy who gives you an exciting kayo on your television station? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Reward people for showing up big?

Yet so many on here act like someone is trying to victimise them by a channel doing this with one of their guys. And then they rejoice in kicking the guy while he's down and calling "exposed" like it means anything, almost as if it's revenge for someone trying to sell you on the idea that maybe you want to watch this athlete if you enjoy the sport. It's really remarkable, if you ask me. It's a remarkable phenomenon.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #35
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

It's weird that around here people seem to get more pleasure from watching fighters they dislike fail more than they like watching their favorites succeed.

It's as if these idiots think that saying 'told ya so' is the same as winning the fights themselves.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #36
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 75
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgore View Post
What level has he hit as a boxer? Banks was seen as a huge underdog(not sure why mind,the guy has boxed for years) and ****ing spanked him,he found his level this evening.Fair play to him for giving it a go and the guy has balls and heart for getting up as many time's as he did but he was never really going to make waves at HW.He is a classy guy though no one can say different.
The level where they exchange US currency to fight on a major Network.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #37
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 75
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
He got a devastating knockout when he was given his big TV slot, instead of falling apart or not showing any guts or gumption like a great deal of prospects end up doing, and over a guy that had never been stopped, and he blew him out early. That earns you hype. And of course the channel took advantage of that. Aren't you actually supposed to back a guy who gives you an exciting kayo on your television station? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Reward people for showing up big?

Yet so many on here act like someone is trying to victimise them by a channel doing this with one of their guys. And then they rejoice in kicking the guy while he's down and calling "exposed" like it means anything, almost as if it's revenge for someone trying to sell you on the idea that maybe you want to watch this athlete if you enjoy the sport. It's really remarkable, if you ask me. It's a remarkable phenomenon.
Excellent posts in this thread...and it really is interesting to think about why...how does one get to this point (rejoicing in others losing as primary motivation to watch).
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #38
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 2137
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgore View Post
Good points and it does come down to fundamentals etc etc but you'd have thought at this point in his career they'd have taught him how to hold on properly when hurt? Or taught him any kind of actual defense atall to be fair.
I agree. Then again, a fighter can look great in the gym but when he's been buzzed for real, he may panic and forget everything they taught him in the gym. I don't know.

I like Michell; he's a decent man and by all accounts a good one, but being a nice guy doesn't make one a good fighter. He needs to sit down with his team and decide if boxing really something he wants to carry on with.

I can't fault his management team regarding choice of opponent. Banks was a good choice. It just backfired...
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #39
p4pBute
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: cold place
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Seth has sold power, an one of those big punches could hurt wlad, they dazed banks, I could see seth work a little defense an still get a title shot in a couple of years, he got some nice power. I honestly don't see banks being a threat at all to wlad, but seth landed some nice hard body shots. I could see seth being a threat, not yet, but work on some defense, learn how to tie up better, he could be a sold contender
p4pBute is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #40
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East,England
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 1176
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
Excellent posts in this thread...and it really is interesting to think about why...how does one get to this point (rejoicing in others losing as primary motivation to watch).
I'm sure we've all been guilty of this on here at some point? It's like any other sport in that respect,I'd never make it my motivation to watch the sport though as it's brutal and there is often tragedy in the ring so to take enjoyment in that would be ****ing ridiculous.

Having seen Mitchell hyped up on here and various other sources though as the next big thing in the HW division,the next klitschko killer so on and so forth it was the "told you so" bit I got enjoyment from as I enjoy the banter with you americans about our HW divisions,not the actual him being hurt part,that would suck.I know i mention him being ****ing spanked etc but there ain't no malice in it.
lordgore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #41
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East,England
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 1176
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4pBute View Post
Seth has sold power, an one of those big punches could hurt wlad, they dazed banks, I could see seth work a little defense an still get a title shot in a couple of years, he got some nice power. I honestly don't see banks being a threat at all to wlad, but seth landed some nice hard body shots. I could see seth being a threat, not yet, but work on some defense, learn how to tie up better, he could be a sold contender
Unfortunately I think Wlad would probably have Seth out with his jab alone very early on.
lordgore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #42
Decker
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
...
Why so many "fans" on here seem to take more pleasure in seeing one guy lose than another guy win is beyond me, honestly. Especially one who, as you say, is a class act from everything he's shown, thus far.
The K bros are class acts - why do they have so many haters?
This is typical of many boxing fans if they don't identify w/the boxer.
Decker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #43
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Todorov UD Maywether
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 1666
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Exposed as a hardworking, respectable all-around athlete who isn't invincible like no one was saying he was? Hahaha? Why does boxing attract these kinds of "fans"? That's what I'm curious about.
All sports forums are the same I think. At least the once I visit once and a while. Fact is that a lot of US fans are mocking the European HWs and started little by little hyping Mitchel as the savior of the division which he was never meant to be.
Leonit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #44
Sheikh
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 965
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

banks and witherspoon were not even big punchers, just imagine a big puncher in there with him. banks is done at the top level, he is exciting though.
Sheikh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #45
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Todorov UD Maywether
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 1666
Default Re: Seth Mitchell exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
It's weird that around here people seem to get more pleasure from watching fighters they dislike fail more than they like watching their favorites succeed.

It's as if these idiots think that saying 'told ya so' is the same as winning the fights themselves.
get serious is a deadly sport and when you watch it you know that people will get hurt. If you make a correct prediction you are allowed to feel some satisfaction from it. Michell was not hurt seriously from what I saw so I don't understand all the drama. People here are getting emotional because he is from the States.
Leonit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013