Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #46
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Donald Curry underated?

I think Curry had a great fighting stance.He could do everything properly out of it, hands in good position of blocking parrying, but also slipping shots and balanced to slide in any direction with his feet.

he liked to be planted in that stance at centre ring and invite punches, which you need to be sharp for, and one of the first things that went in him were his legs and balance.He ended up spreading his feet too wide, which as said hampered his movement or falling in off-balance with his gloves cupped around his ears when trying to get inside.Which in turn only telegraphed his intention and made him a target.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #47
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Different fighter of course but Bruce does seem a little underrated. Usually fun and with some solid wins and efforts scattered about his ring record.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #48
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I've got to say though, i'd have liked him as a fighter more if his name had been Conald Durry.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #49
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
At his best he was very good at catching and parrying shots.

Broner is a shambles technically IMO.
He tries too hard to be Floyd instead of working to his strengths and he's too stiff. By copying Floyd he ends up copying the obvious things while ignoring the less obvious things that win fights and ofcourse the difficult skills that seperate the top fighters. He also copies some of Floyd's errors like his wide slappy left hook. I reckon he does a bit of bodybuilding training too, which adds muscles for show but not explosiveness/strength

Quote:
Lightweight, like junior middle, has no no.1 at the mo' really. DeMarco looks one of the better ones but a come from behind win over Linares, a blowout of the not very good Molina, Kid Diamond and getting outclassed and battered by Valero doesn't show us much IMO. If he's the no.1 135lber he's one of the very worst to ever earn that distinction.

Still, solid chin, big guy, decent pop, good test for Broner.
Yea pretty weak no1, Demarco is there to build Broner's name not as a true acid test

Quote:
Different fighter of course but Bruce does seem a little underrated. Usually fun and with some solid wins and efforts scattered about his ring record.
The Benitez fights were impressive in themselves, although I'm sure others have seen far more of him to give a fair assessment

Never thought I'd agree with Flea so many times on 1 thread, aye Flea?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #50
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Flea is right!....And Benitez's fghts were impressive in themselves
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
He certainly looked great during his prime. I think the weight definitely could of been factor in the Honeyghan fight although Honeyghan was really on fire that night.

Just watched the McCallum fight again it just oozes class from both fighters and i think on another night Curry might of won, he was handling Mike, a future ATG who was at his peak great until he shipped that left hook. Mike though even though he took some great shots just kept coming. Talking about Curry fighting Hagler which at the time looked a great matchup makes you wonder how McCallum might of done against Hagler circa 85-87.
I don't see the fight as winnable for Donald. He was fighting the best fight he could and he still was not strong enough for Mike, and Mike was still coming on strong with Donald's eye swelling up. I think Mike always wins because he is stronger than Donald and was mentally stronger to hold up and fight this kind of fight for 15 rounds.. Being stronger helps a lot.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #52
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

McCallum wasnt necessarily beating Curry till he dropped him, by know means was this a one sided fight, Curry was still given him a hard time.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #53
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Curry was slightly ahead on the cards
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #54
Flo_Raiden
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Curry gets under-appreciated nowadays. For a short time he was considered the MAN on the P4P ranking next to Marvin Hagler. He defined the term 'boxer-puncher' with his textbook stance, laser accurate punches, tight defense, great counter punching skills, and devastating power along with handspeed. But, like most promising fighters with very high expectations, fell apart like a chandelier and was never the same.

Still a HOF worthy fighter in my view. Fought very good opponents and was undisputed for a while. Donald Curry at his peak was an incredible fighter, my favorite guys to watch.
Flo_Raiden is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #55
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
Curry gets under-appreciated nowadays. For a short time he was considered the MAN on the P4P ranking next to Marvin Hagler. He defined the term 'boxer-puncher' with his textbook stance, laser accurate punches, tight defense, great counter punching skills, and devastating power along with handspeed. But, like most promising fighters with very high expectations, fell apart like a chandelier and was never the same.

Still a HOF worthy fighter in my view. Fought very good opponents and was undisputed for a while. Donald Curry at his peak was an incredible fighter, my favorite guys to watch.
probably HOF worthy ,but then who do you not vote in so Donald can get in? Virgil HIll is up for the HOF this year, and he is really and underrated guy because he had a boring style, but he had something like 25 title defenses in 3 or 4 title reigns at 175 and 190
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #56
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Well I reckon broker is the best lightweight out there right now.

I hope he fights abril next.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #57
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

**** Abril, Burns!!!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #58
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
throwing it out there but I'm not a big fan of Donald currys stance. he was far too upright, chin almost on display at times. looking at the mccallum and honeyghan fights he relies too much on his rflexes...his stance looks to have the same weakness as adrian broners does now as was discussed in another thread. his mobility and corresponding defense suffered
Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I think Curry had a great fighting stance.He could do everything properly out of it, hands in good position of blocking parrying, but also slipping shots and balanced to slide in any direction with his feet.
Prime Curry had very few flaws. But he could pull his chin up on occassion. Not often, but it happened. Sometimes when stepping straight back with his hands low.

SRL commented on it already in the first Starling fight, and then it of course became his undoing against McCallum.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #59
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I had Curry 3-1 up going into the 5th round with McCallum. The swelling was because of an accidental head-butt, not a punch.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #60
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
**** Abril, Burns!!!
hmmm Walsh has been injured so it's a possibility I suppose.

Broner, Abril and Burns are very close at the top. I think Vasquez is a level behind.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum