Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Peter__1987

vCash:
Default Dislike for Ricky Hatton.

Just something i'm curious about, before I came to this site I would of thought Ricky would be super popular among the british posters but in actual fact it seems a lot of people really dislike him, not just as a fighter but have an actual personal dislike of the man.

Personally I like him a lot, as a fighter and a person, granted he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since he retired (the Cocaine scandal etc) but I loved his aggressive style in the ring and I loved his "normal bloke down the pub" type personality, as in all honesty, that's just what I'm like

Now, i'm not looking to argue about Ricky with any of you, everyone's entitled to an opinion and i'm not particularly bothered if people like him or not, But I am curious as to the reasons.

So if you don't like Ricky, why?

Last edited by Peter__1987; 11-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416
Default Re: Dislike for Ricky Hatton.

I love him too, I'll be down the pub rooting for him next week for definite!

I guess he just not EVERYONE'S cup of tea. People have fighters they like and ones they don't. I've never heard him of being arsehole or anything like that to fans so I can't think of any apart from what I said.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Siney
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

I love the guy aswell, i think the hate he gets is because of the 'football crowd' he brings to his fights, alot of the hardcore boxing fans just dont like it, also i think people believe his 'just a normal bloke down the pub' act is put on.

edit: i will be honest there is something i have noticed since hes been on twitter, his love for man city doesent seem to come off like it use to back in the day so maybe he did play that role alittle bit to build his fan base.
Siney is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I was a fan of ricky back in the day but i cant get pysched for this fight at all for some reason, looking forward to munroe/quigg instead to be honest.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

I like him but to say he's coming back for the fans and then sign to primetime shows himself up to be full of shit.

Still want him to win, I just won't be watching.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Peter__1987

vCash:

I know he's got a lot of grief for saying he was coming back "for the fans" and then putting it on PPV but is it that big of a deal really? Ricky was always an entertaining fighter I don't mind paying 15 to watch him fight, I think i'll get my money worth.

That's just my opinion on it anyway.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
I was a fan of ricky back in the day but i cant get pysched for this fight at all for some reason, looking forward to munroe/quigg instead to be honest.
Yeah mate, I'm not half as excited as I thought I would be.

Probably something to do with the choice of opponent, I don't know a lot about Senchenko and he's hardly talked up the fight.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534

Hatton's career went very "Rocky 3" towards the end.

He almost became a "celebrity" boxer. The casuals still love him, but I think a lot of hardcore fans lost respect for him after the Pacquaio fight.

Total shambles
macho_grande is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I used to be a MASSIVE fan of Hatton up untill and including the Kostya Tzsyu fight. I felt that he had genuinely wanted to step up for a while and it was Fish Eyes who was blocking the move. He always came across well in interviews and seemed like a genuinely decent bloke.

That said, he changed after the Tszyu fight imo. He was ALL about the money and the endless preaching about being a "man of the people" just rubbed me up the wrong way. If you're genuinely just like a normal bloke then why feel the need to remind everyone in every single interview? If you genuinely felt you were normal and didn't have an ego then it wouldn't even cross your mind to mention it.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Personally I have no respect for his shameful and disgraceful ducking of Junior Witter for all those years. For me that and one or two other things make him a bit of a fraud who gets way too much boxing respect than he really deserves. But that's just my opinion and there's just no point arguing with Ricktards about it as we never see eye to eye on it.

Not saying you are one of those Ricktards Peter1987
oli is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post
Personally I have no respect for his shameful and disgraceful ducking of Junior Witter for all those years. For me that and one or two other things make him a bit of a fraud who gets way too much boxing respect than he really deserves. But that's just my opinion and there's just no point arguing with Ricktards about it as we never see eye to eye on it.

Well you never know Oli, they may end up fighting now, at least Witter would hype the ****ing fight.

I must admit I do think Ricky avoided the fight with Witter, I don't think he was physically scared of him I think he just didn't fancy fighting Witter's awkward style.

Witter was ****ing mental back in the day, remember the Judah fight when he was waving to people in the crowd as Judah was trying to knock him the **** out?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
superman1692
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post

Whether or not he ducked Witter, don't you feel he kind of made up for it by facing a prime Mayweather, and a prime Pacquiao?
superman1692 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Hands of Paper
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 445

The shameless ducking of Witter will be long remembered well after Hatton has retired. I think that will be a stain on Hattons record that alot of the hardcore boxing fans will not forget.
Hands of Paper is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

I loved watching Ricky fight from the start and had some great nigths with those big triple headers they did at the MEN with Gomez and Farnell.

He was great for the sport and transcended it like few have, certainly since the sport moved away from terrestrial.

Even my mum knew who Hatton was for Gods sake!

I was gutted when lost to Mayweather although I never thought he would win, it was just so sad seeing one of my heroes knocked out.

I don't think less of him for his troubles after retiring; yes he did stupid things that were wrong, but the guy was in a very bad place and deserves a second chance as far as I am concerned.

I have really liked his work building his management stable and its been great to see him looking happier.

I was shocked when he announced a comeback and although I will be watching it and rooting for him I don't think it is a good idea.

I have no problem with the PPV really, just disappointed its on Primetime to be honest, I would have much rather it had been on Sky.

I don't like the whole "doing it for my fans" angle, I think that was a mistake.

He clearly is doing it for several reasons; self worth, money, his promotional company, inner demons and perhaps even ego, but I think one of the last reasons he is really doing this is for the fans.

If this was really the case he would have sold loads of cheap tickets and put it on in a big outside arena.

I'm not saying he should have done this, I just think he wound a alot of people up making out he was back for the fans.

I can't think of any real reasons why people would have so much bile towards the man.

What has he realy done that is that bad?!

By all means people don't have to agree or support his comeback but surely they can't deny that he has done more for the sport in this country than just about any other boxer in the last twenty years.

Haters gotta hate
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Peter__1987

vCash:

^^ Good post mate.

Yeah saying it's "for the fans" then putting it on PPV was a bit daft I suppose, even though I don't think it's that bad.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum