Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363
Default Re: Is Froch-Cleverly really that bad of a fight to make ?

Froch will only fight at SMW.

If Clev came down he'd be annihilated end of.

Weight drained, not got the same experience, not got the same power or skills.

Be over very quickly.
jof is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

The way key to beating Froch is speed and timing. You can't let him plant his feet or get you against the ropes. You'll eat his power shots all night otherwise (ask Taylor, Bute and Mack).

Dirrell was the first fighter to show us this. Froch barely laid a glove on him until the later rounds. Andre Ward saw this and because he's much better than Dirrell he was able to take this strategy and do it even better to completely outclass Froch.

Cleverly has the speed but he doesn't have the boxing skills or reflexes that Ward and Dirrell have, not even close. His workrate would count for nothing in my opinion. He wouldn't be able to stop Carl either because of his granite chin and Nathan isn't a big puncher anyway.

This fight would only have 1 result. Froch win.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #33
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

I think Cleverly has some attributes to really trouble Froch, especially his speed and his size. If they fought right now, I think Clev's defense is too leaky and Froch would wear him down for a UD/late TKO, but if Clev got himself a half-decent trainer who could give him a good gameplan, I think NC would win a clear decision. But unfair on Froch though as he is a comfortable 168 and Clev is a big 175.
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
The way key to beating Froch is speed and timing. You can't let him plant his feet or get you against the ropes. You'll eat his power shots all night otherwise (ask Taylor, Bute and Mack).

Dirrell was the first fighter to show us this. Froch barely laid a glove on him until the later rounds. Andre Ward saw this and because he's much better than Dirrell he was able to take this strategy and do it even better to completely outclass Froch.

Cleverly has the speed but he doesn't have the boxing skills or reflexes that Ward and Dirrell have, not even close. His workrate would count for nothing in my opinion. He wouldn't be able to stop Carl either because of his granite chin and Nathan isn't a big puncher anyway.

This fight would only have 1 result. Froch win.
Some good points there, Dirrell certainly had the speed and skill just lacked the balls and/or fitness. I had the Ward fight much closer than most and can see how one of the judges had it so tight, clear win yes but close also Froch was walking him down towards the end.

I just think Nathan has certain things in his favour, he has the range (how often do we see Froch the shorter guy) fitness, heart and punch output to trouble anyone. Those who seem to think he cant hang in world class are demented both Bellew and Murat are top 10 light heavys and he beat the shit out of Murat. I also think he has been unlucky with matches.... if the boy Clev is so protected why the feck would he be matched with jurgen Brahmer at 23 yrs old. People seem to forget who pulled out of that fight. His lack of meaningful fights is just FW being a dick nowt to do with the quality of the fighter.

Clev is definately in this fight, fifty fifty barnstormer that could go either way imo, more than likely a split decision. People are clouded by the vast difference in achievement which is perfectly understandable, on paper Froch annialates him fosho.
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Jonny5-9
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post

Cleverly has the speed but he doesn't have the boxing skills or reflexes that Ward and Dirrell have, not even close.
I think what you are trying to say here is Clev is not black or slick enough.
Jonny5-9 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

I can't see if any reason why Froch would take this fight.
Clev has nothing to bring to the table, he's got no reputation, he's fought no one of note, Froch would have to move up weight and move onto a TV channel with a limited audience.

Where's the appeal in this? Clevs not even a big sell, is this really a bigger domestic draw than fighting say Groves?

The truth is no one cares about Clev given his recent opponents neither here nor in the states.
This is the only way he can claim a "big" fight, one that sells out here and that the Yanks would give a shit about is to get Froch.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5-9 View Post
I think what you are trying to say here is Clev is not black or slick enough.
Well.... yeah.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #38
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Always thought Cleverly would do okay in this one. The guys filling out at light heavy, he doesn't look like a lanky streak of piss anymore. I don't expect Froch to simply bully him around, as strong as Froch is.

The guys got a very good chin, and I don't think Carl is that comfortable when somebody is on his chest. He's very long limbed, all his most effective punches are long. Christ even his uppercut is thrown from 4 foot away.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #39
Abertawe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1264

It would be a quality tear up imo. Both have chins, both come forward, both have steel etc.

I'd opt for Froch but it's by no means a certainty.
Abertawe is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
Abertawe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
I can't see if any reason why Froch would take this fight.
Clev has nothing to bring to the table, he's got no reputation, he's fought no one of note, Froch would have to move up weight and move onto a TV channel with a limited audience.

Where's the appeal in this? Clevs not even a big sell, is this really a bigger domestic draw than fighting say Groves?

The truth is no one cares about Clev given his recent opponents neither here nor in the states.
This is the only way he can claim a "big" fight, one that sells out here and that the Yanks would give a shit about is to get Froch.
It would be a huge fight, it would make money pure and simple.
Abertawe is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abertawe View Post
It would be a huge fight, it would make money pure and simple.
Why would it make more money?
More than Ward or Kessler?
More than Groves or even Degale?

Where this extra money coming from? Frank?
What about the money lost from putting it on Boxnation rather than SKY.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #42
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Clev isn't anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be. His reputation is suffering because of how terrible his opposition has been since the Bellew fight. His workrate and relentlessness means he would make it a difficult night for any of the top fighters in and around his weight class, even if I wouldn't pick him to beat many of them. He still had a very leaky defence and I think Froch would punish him for that.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Decent fight in the ring. Every Cleverly fight won't be too bad because his defence is average at best and he comes to fight at a good pace. Froch will oblige. However Cleverlys a disgrace to boxing and Froch is what a fighter should be.

Its another ****** stunt to mention his name, knowing the fight would be turned down and if it isn't Cleverly gets to fight a smaller fighter.

Can we please stop mentioning Cleverlys name with the likes of Shumenov, Dawson, Froch etc Especially when his track record says he is gutless. Lets get Cleverly to fight someone we've heard of first. Even Mack or Miranda would be better than the no names getting plucked from obscurity.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
Llanlad
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

If they could fight at a weight that would suit both then i would put some of my hard cash on Cleverly to beat Froch.

Cleverly is too fast for Froch imo and would beat him rather comfortably on points .

I would love to see this fight happen ...

and yes .. im welsh
Llanlad is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #45
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176

Cleverly barely beats Bellew and tko's some guy called Shawn Hawk (sounds like a Tekken character) and people are hyping him to somehow give Froch a good fight,possibly beat him? **** sake.
lordgore is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum