Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300
Default School me on Jimmy Wilde

Always very high on P4P all-time lists.

To his credit, just looking at boxrec, he was always 10lbs lighter than his opponents.

HOWEVER:
Most of Wilde's wins were against bums who barely even started their professional career lol. He won the first world flyweight title against a guy who had 17 wins and 32 losses by the end of his career.
He only stayed in Britain. Did he fight cab drivers?

Right now, I have no CLUE how on earth he is always ranked as one of the very best ATG's.

I put him on the list I did because I didn't know enough about him and thought I'd submit to the greater knowledge pool...acknowledging I'm still yet to learn about many fighters.

How exactly is he better than a monster like Galaxy or someone like Ricardo Lopez?

Keep to the topic please.
anj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: School me on Jimmy Wilde

His victory over McRubedoo was shocking on a p4p basis. Better than anything Tunney or Loughran ever had, frankly. Writers of the time say he burst the box open on that one.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

One of boxings truly amazing phenomenons, regardless of how much one may believe athletes have improved over the last 100 years.

Jimmy looks to frail to carry a spit bucket, let alone throw punches, but Gene Tunney unequivocally called Wilde the greatest fighting machine he'd ever seen, a particularly amazing comment when one considers that Gene had only seen Wilde when Wilde on beginning to lose a step in the ring.

Wilde is best remembered for his AMAZING punching power, which is even more amazing when one remembers he typically weighed in between 96-102 pounds while fighting fully fledged flyweights and bantamweights. But its often forgotten that Wilde had blinding handspeed, he was extremely agile, and he was very, very calm and poised inside the ring, which allowed him to fight round after round without getting tired.

While its hard to gauge where Wilde should rank all time relative to someone on this side of the century like Jones or Mayweather, I don't think anyone can deny 'The Ghost With the Hammer in His Hand' was a rare creature.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think many of Wilde's opposition's records are incomplete. It's impossible to really assess just how good they were.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Top-20 ATG, at least, is fair. Anyone agree?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Their records are mainly incomplete.

Still, can't give him a free pass. As a flyweight champ' it's hard to rankhim highly withmuch justification. But we know how good a bantamJoe Lynch was and how diminutive Wilde was.

Therefore he ranks high as a P4P force IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Always very high on P4P all-time lists.

To his credit, just looking at boxrec, he was always 10lbs lighter than his opponents.

HOWEVER:
Most of Wilde's wins were against bums who barely even started their professional career lol. He won the first world flyweight title against a guy who had 17 wins and 32 losses by the end of his career.
He only stayed in Britain. Did he fight cab drivers?

Right now, I have no CLUE how on earth he is always ranked as one of the very best ATG's.

I put him on the list I did because I didn't know enough about him and thought I'd submit to the greater knowledge pool...acknowledging I'm still yet to learn about many fighters.

How exactly is he better than a monster like Galaxy or someone like Ricardo Lopez?

Keep to the topic please.
Like the_bigunit said, Boxrec records are incomplete for such older fighters. You can read in a 1921 newspaper that a fighter had over 120 bouts so far, yet you read on boxrec that he had a 3-0 record. Boxrec is a great tool, but it would be near impossible to add every damn fights that have happened since 1870.

I'm pretty sure that Gentleman Jim Corbett didn't develop his revolutionizing style (for the time) with a career of ony 24 bouts.
Brownies is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
One of boxings truly amazing phenomenons, regardless of how much one may believe athletes have improved over the last 100 years.

Jimmy looks to frail to carry a spit bucket, let alone throw punches, but Gene Tunney unequivocally called Wilde the greatest fighting machine he'd ever seen, a particularly amazing comment when one considers that Gene had only seen Wilde when Wilde on beginning to lose a step in the ring.

Wilde is best remembered for his AMAZING punching power, which is even more amazing when one remembers he typically weighed in between 96-102 pounds while fighting fully fledged flyweights and bantamweights. But its often forgotten that Wilde had blinding handspeed, he was extremely agile, and he was very, very calm and poised inside the ring, which allowed him to fight round after round without getting tired.

While its hard to gauge where Wilde should rank all time relative to someone on this side of the century like Jones or Mayweather, I don't think anyone can deny 'The Ghost With the Hammer in His Hand' was a rare creature.

Phenomenon is truly a correct term. His fighting life is just unbelievable -- who can forget Wilde's mark in the legendary Boxing Booths?

He, at times, would fight grown men over 100 pounds heavier than him -- at just 16 years old.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Anyway, Galaxy never beat the best of his division. Lopez weighed more than Wilde and cut to make a meaningless division that Wilde didn't have the luxury and could've made naturally for most of his career.

Canto? That I could live with.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
Top-20 ATG, at least, is fair. Anyone agree?
Absolutely not.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Absolutely not.

Absolutely not? How so?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Flea hates Wilde because he is secretly Scottish. Lynch!
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

If I don't know much about his era of flys I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Still, his P4P achievements mean I rank him in the top 50-60.

Still, 1-1 with Tancy Lee only due to influenza. Stopped much bigger Joe Symonds. YZK was a well regarded scrapper, Rosner and Pal Moore good wins. Lynch for me, not surprisingly, is the most impressive scalp for Wilde.

Brilliant, I'm not denying that. But top 20 is hard for me to fathom just because we can't prove how dense his resume is, despite his consistency and huge amount of bouts (I don't include 'booth' bouts when summing up a fighters greatness though it obviously proves a lot about their toughness and schooling) its easier to place guys I can reel off more quality scalps blah blah blah

Greater P4P than Lynch.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #14
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
If I don't know much about his era of flys I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Still, his P4P achievements mean I rank him in the top 50-60.
Have you read this piece about Wilde, Flea?

Posted by Senya:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

His first sparring partner was his wife...

" We used to spar in the bedroom or in the kitchen," Wilde said to me on one occasion. " She'd lead at me, and I'd dodge the blow."
" But did you ever hit back ? " I asked.
" Oh, no," replied Wilde, " but even if I had she'd have been nimble enough to get out of the way. She knows as much about boxing as I do."

Quote:
Greater P4P than Lynch.
Lynch looks more impressive on film than Wilde to me.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Agree with that 100%. He would've battered Wilde IMO
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum