Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Greg Haugen vs Brandon Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I was at that fight. Reno Nevada in April of 1992. That is when I almost fell 2 rows shaking Al Bernsteins hand. Bramble was there, got his autograph and Mills Lane was the ref. I think. Mancini wore out with stamina in that fight and the right hand just finished him. But Haugen liked to sometimes back up as he countered so he would not walk into a punch, so the left hook was a nice punch so he could back up and counter. I remember a name Charlie Brown which Haugen fought, but I could be wrong. in the 1980s before he fought Jimmy Paul in late 1986. I think he stopped Brown with a left hook.
He did that all night long in beating Jimmy Paul. Excedllent performance. It should have told everyone that Haugen was a smart fighter who could box, and wasn't the "Alaskan toughman slugger" that he was always described as being.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Greg Haugen vs Brandon Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
He did that all night long in beating Jimmy Paul. Excedllent performance. It should have told everyone that Haugen was a smart fighter who could box, and wasn't the "Alaskan toughman slugger" that he was always described as being.
I was shocked when he beat Paul. No one gave him a chance, and that was seen as just a workout defense by Paul. As it turned out you are right, Haugen was a very good fighter. Haugen surprised me a few times.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum