Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #16
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: Ali v Shavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
More revisionism here. The truth is that the fight was televised live on national tv and the judges scorecards were revealed after every round to the home audience. Shavers gave Ali a good fight but there were no cries of a bad decision after this bout. Shavers rocked Ali in several rounds but did little doing his best to conserve himself. He let it all hang out in the last 3 rounds but by that time Ali already had 8 rounds in his pocket. I was not an Ali fan back in 1977 but I found no issues with the scoring....Shavers just did not do enough in many of the first 12 rounds.
Careful with the facts. You'll upset the delusional ones
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #17
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9Garrard View Post
I think taking this fight was testimony to Ali's courage and self-confidence and the result was testimony to his heart and toughness. I'm shocked he signed for the fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Likewise. But Ali had total belief in himself.

Only up to a point.
Let's not forget that he was 'ducking' rematches with Norton and Young at this time. Shavers was considered less of a challenge.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #18
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Only up to a point.
Let's not forget that he was 'ducking' rematches with Norton and Young at this time. Shavers was considered less of a challenge.
Ali beat Jimmy Young comfortably and by UD about a year and a half prior to meeting Shavers.

I thought Kenny Norton was very stiff not to take the rubber 2 to 1 against Ali, but 3 meetings wasn't enough?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #19
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ali beat Jimmy Young comfortably and by UD about a year and a half prior to meeting Shavers.

I thought Kenny Norton was very stiff not to take the rubber 2 to 1 against Ali, but 3 meetings wasn't enough?
Many disagree that Ali beat Young comfortably. Many thought Young should have won. I thought they both looked shit. Young then went and beat Foreman. The calls at the time were for Ali to fight Norton or Young. He chose to fight Evangelista and Shavers.
People especially wanted to see Ali face Norton again. Norton beat Young in an eliminator and was scheduled to get another shot.
Yes, people wanted to see a 4th fight.
Ali fought Leon Spinks instead.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #20
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Many disagree that Ali beat Young comfortably. Many thought Young should have won. I thought they both looked shit. Young then went and beat Foreman. The calls at the time were for Ali to fight Norton or Young. He chose to fight Evangelista and Shavers.
People especially wanted to see Ali face Norton again. Norton beat Young in an eliminator and was scheduled to get another shot.
Yes, people wanted to see a 4th fight.
Ali fought Leon Spinks instead.
As we know only too well, only 3 judges views carry any weight in boxing, and two of them had Ali a comfortable winner against Young, and the other also scored it for Ali.

'People' always want to see any number of different fights, but Ali and Norton did go at it 3 times. As I said earlier, I thought Norton should have got the nod 2/1 in their rubber.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Even though earnie was a little shaky there at the end, he sure won that 15th round. He didn't beat Ali like Young and Norton did, but he sure made his point. he could have ko'ed Ali had he let it all hang out inthe 2nd.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Ali won the fight it's pretty clear. Shavers was a threat to anyone, a harder hitter than Foreman.
anj is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He hurt Ali more than Foreman or Liston ever did...if only he let his hands go and not have been so concerned about gassing out.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
He hurt Ali more than Foreman or Liston ever did...if only he let his hands go and not have been so concerned about gassing out.
I think the damage Foreman inflicted on Ali is understated. He hurt Ali alright, particularly to the body, but Ali took it well.

Shavers landed flush to the jaw a number of times, but again Ali stood firm.

Norton stylistically was a nightmare for Ali, and I though Norton took it 2/1 in their matches.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think the damage Foreman inflicted on Ali is understated. He hurt Ali alright, particularly to the body, but Ali took it well.

Shavers landed flush to the jaw a number of times, but again Ali stood firm.

Norton stylistically was a nightmare for Ali, and I though Norton took it 2/1 in their matches.
You're right on the money Spider!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Dundee had a runner keeping him updated on the scores. So Ali knew he only had to avoid a KO to lose near the end of the fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #27
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Even though earnie was a little shaky there at the end, he sure won that 15th round. He didn't beat Ali like Young and Norton did, but he sure made his point. he could have ko'ed Ali had he let it all hang out inthe 2nd.
Nah, Shavers didn't win the 15th. He ****ed up and let it slip away. I had Ali winning by a point because of that last round. Either way, Shavers still could easily have gotten the decision. The official scorecards were bogus though: 9-6, 9-5 for Ali. Ha, those look like what should have been the scores for Ali-Norton 3 in favor of Norton.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

There was no controversy concerning this decision. Period. Shavers lost many rounds simply because he was not fighting. His endurance was hugely suspect and his plan was to conserve himself as much as he could and then come on with all he has the tail end of the fight. So by round 12 or 13 Ali had already won 8 rounds. Earnie came on strong seriously hurting Ali in rounds 13 and 14 as well as the 15th....that is until Ali caught him in the las 30 seconds of the round nearly having shavers out by fights end.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #29
D9Garrard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I hate to agree with HOUDINI, of all people, but I think he's correct about the scoring. I don't believe there was much controversy. I remain impressed that Ali took the fight against Shavers. High risk, low reward opponent, when there were safer opponents to fight out there. I have always been of the opinion that Ali was one of the most courageous fighters that ever laced them up.
D9Garrard is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I had Ali winning the fight by a single point, on virtue of that 15th round. That is the textbook definition of stealing a round; Do more damage in 30 seconds then the other guy did in the other 2:30, and convince the audience that you ran out of time.

I can't score a round for a guy I think was lucky the bell came. I just can't. 20 more seconds, its an Ali TKO.

Also, Earnie was the better fighter the night of. He was sharp, Ali was not at all. He was honed, Ali was clearly not well-trained. Earnie just didn't punch! Every round he went out and executed, he won, and easily! But there were so many where he just sat there, gloves up, and Ali pecked away, pecked away.

Earnie gave the fight away. He got to the point where he needed a series of big rounds, and one of his best ended then with him on the verge of being stopped.

Ali legitimately stole that fight. The judge's scorecards were pretty darn good.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum