Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416
Default Dan Rafael? Opinionated journalist or bias moron?

Did anybody see what Dan Rafael has been tweeting recently in regards to British fans and our views?

I'll admit that this guy really gets up my nose. Some of the things he comes out with cause to me really scratch my head in disbelief. Of course as boxing fan he's entitled to his opinion like the rest of us, it just really boggles how this guy has managed to get himself a pretty cushdy job with ESPN as their boxing correspondent.

What do you guys think of him?
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dan Rafael? Opinionated journalist or bias moron?

I don't mind him, he can be an annoying cunt at times but he clearly loves the sport is quick with the boxing news, he also doesn't mince his words, I loved seeing him rip the shit out of Frank W.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I think he's a bellend who has his moments. Great for scoops though.
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The problem with him is he dishes it out constantly but can take none back.
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

He was a utter prick IMO but yesterday's tweets aimed at Fisheyes has elevated him to just a prick.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
He was a utter prick IMO but yesterday's tweets aimed at Fisheyes has elevated him to just a prick.
This.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

I can't stand him. He's looked upon as one of boxings best journalists and yet he acts in a way which would embarrass a proper journalist. Instead of being impartial, he resorts to insulting fighters he doesn't like, even using childish nicknames for them. I think he's a pathetic journalist. He has the personality of a good General Forum poster but with great contacts.

I do read what he writes but his opinion is worthless to me, so I ignore all that and skip to the useful information he provides.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I can't stand him. He's looked upon as one of boxings best journalists and yet he acts in a way which would embarrass a proper journalist. Instead of being impartial, he resorts to insulting fighters he doesn't like, even using childish nicknames for them. I think he's a pathetic journalist. He has the personality of a good General Forum poster but with great contacts.

I do read what he writes but his opinion is worthless to me, so I ignore all that and skip to the useful information he provides.
This.

When he seen Haye in person, didn't he run/roll away from him? I'm sure I read that before
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Ulver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dan Rafael routinely steals material from other boxing writers and passes it off as his own. I've seen the evidence on more than a few occasions. He lifts sentences and paragraphs almost verbatim.

That right there is enough to view him as a scumbag.

He also loves to dish it out, but has super thin skin himself and can't take any criticism.

He also is biased, like when he says as he did on Friday that David Haye "doesn't deserve the shot or the payday" against Vitali. This even though Haye did what they asked of him and beat Chisora. So Charr and Briggs did deserve the title shot?

He may get some inside info, though he has grown lazy and gets less of that then he used to. But overall, Rafael is a scumbag.
Ulver is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Haye and Booth offered him an interview to tell their side of the story with the brothers and he didn't reply. And yes, when they saw him at a fight, he more or less bolted.

He's all right - a good writer, excellent networks, and can generally see the business side of things clearly. But he's basically a columnist, spewing out his opinions as if they're fact. Which is a shame, because when he does investigative articles he's actually very astute.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
smegmaa
Undefeated Champ
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulver View Post
Dan Rafael routinely steals material from other boxing writers and passes it off as his own. I've seen the evidence on more than a few occasions. He lifts sentences and paragraphs almost verbatim.

He also loves to dish it out, but has super thin skin himself and can't take any criticism.

He also is biased, like when he says as he did on Friday that David Haye "doesn't deserve the shot or the payday" against Vitali. This even though Haye did what they asked of him and beat Chisora. So Charr and Briggs did deserve the title shot?

He may get some inside info, though he has grown lazy and gets less of that then he used to. But overall, Rafael is a scumbag.
This. Fat Dan knows his stuff which is probably the only reason he's a journalist as his spelling and writing is shite. Always complaining about things but when someone calls him fat on twitter they get blocked!
smegmaa is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmaa View Post
This. Fat Dan knows his stuff which is probably the only reason he's a journalist as his spelling and writing is shite. Always complaining about things but when someone calls him fat on twitter they get blocked!
It really isn't. I also agree with him blocking someone for calling him fat. What's that got to do with boxing debate?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Ulver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Haye and Booth offered him an interview to tell their side of the story with the brothers and he didn't reply. And yes, when they saw him at a fight, he more or less bolted.

He's all right - a good writer, excellent networks, and can generally see the business side of things clearly. But he's basically a columnist, spewing out his opinions as if they're fact. Which is a shame, because when he does investigative articles he's actually very astute.
Most of Dan's marerial these days is rewritten press releases. I get most of the same releases so I know this, but much of the public doesn't and thinks Dan is going out and getting these quotes, etc. He never indicates it when he's using a press release.

He's grown arrogant and lazy these days, which is why he steals the work of other writers and passes it off as his own. Believe me, he's got a lot of enemies in boxing writer land.

I knew one guy, a trainer, who used to email back and forth with Dan, and one time the guy dared to disagree with him on something, and Dan quit talking to him, instantly. That's how thin-skinned he is.
Ulver is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

He said fans who want to see a Froch-Ward rematch must still be drunk from the night before. Also said British fans think we would win a rematch Revolutionary War because we're that deluded.

Fickle comments like that, you'd think the bloke was about 7. What I dislike particularly about him is how much of a brown nose he his. He's always tweeting American fighters and having love ins with them, you'd think he and Andre Ward were newly married the way they tweet each other.

Also when he meets fighters face-to-face, he's says nothing. He slags David Haye a lot, I've heard a story that when they came face to face one time Rafael skipped away like a little girl before David said something to him. Chicken shit.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
JohnH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulver View Post

Pretty much sums it up for me.
JohnH is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum