Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100
Default Re: Dislike for Ricky Hatton.

I like the bloke,I think the comeback is a mistake though and he is only doing it to try and rescue his promo venture. If the fight is on primetime as Ive heard it is he is going about this in totally the wrong way.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #32
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

i like him but he started going over board with the normal down to earth lad man of the people pr shit. diarrhea such as:

"THis comeback is for my fans"

"I am happy wait outside a club in the pissing down rain like the ordinary folk" F.OFF
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #33
Abertawe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1264

The casuals absolutely love him which is a rarity. I think he's a bit of a ****, self obsessed and plays the victim occasionally ("life has hammered me" etc) but he's alright.

Will be good to see him back, hopefully he looks the biz and we can look forward to some mega domestic fights.
Abertawe is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #34
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

I cant fault him as a fighter ,very game and wanted the best. Cant argue with that

his whole "Man of the people" persona to me is just bullshit,talks about himself like hes an normal bloke when i dont beleive it... and the whole "Im doing it for the fans" and putting ppv hasent really helped him redeem himself to either . I feel hes a fake tbh and just dont buy his pish

example of this is when he was caught on the gear, rather than admitting he got caught with his pants down, he comes out and makes out hes "Depressed" and even goes to the lenghts to get max clifford onboard ...
alba is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #35
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1500

attention whore /thread
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #36
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

As someone who knows him fairly well I've got my own opinion. I've seen the best and worst of him but I'm still a fan.

The best. As a young kid I showed a bit of promise and Paul Burke used to take me down to the Pheonix gym to train with all the pro boxers. It was brilliant and I got talking to Ricky who everyone was praising to the highest order. I found him to be a totally sound bloke- subsequently at any of my amateur or early pro fights he'd always be shouting me on- give me bits of advice. Chat with my dad etc etc... Couldn't have said a bad word about him.

Few years later I met him at one of these 'a night with Ricky Hatton' do's we went through the usual stand up routine. He signed a few gloves for ridiculous amounts of money. Various other merchandise and then was charging 30 for pictures. I remember someone asking to get something signed - clearly a fan and Paul speak (his agent) was like sure '250'. It was entirely about the money. This wasn't someone looking to make a bit of coin meeting their fans- they were tearing the arse out of it.

Subsequent meetings with him were no less dissapointing. I remember meeting him at a show and he was in and out of the toilets every few minutes. I spoke to him and he barely said hello. This was a guy perhaps in his lowest eb but I was still really sad that I'd spent all that money supporting someone who claimed to be a man of the people but clearly wasn't.

Add to this the way his promotional outfit treated kenny, just basically took their coin for the groves fight then fooked him off. I remember Paul speak getting the ice been all helpful and stuff, the guy barely can manage a word to anyone at boxing shows when I've seen him.

Also Hatton ****ing off on holiday a week before Adam Little fought when he's in his final week of training.

I'm sure there is a reason for everything above but it just doesn't sit right that people think he's Mr Normal when he's really not... At least not in my experience of recent years. They are a money outfit. That is the main reason he's fighting. He needs his tv contract and the only way he can get that is by creating the khan-brook-Hatton sky trio.

Like I said I may have it all wrong. Reading this site may have seen me look at things in a negative way but that's how I see it at the moment.

Despite all this I am still a fan to some degree, he was a good fighter. I found him pleasing to watch at a lower level. I'd like to see his comeback do well purely so that boxing can get back on the back pages.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #37
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
As someone who knows him fairly well I've got my own opinion. I've seen the best and worst of him but I'm still a fan.

The best. As a young kid I showed a bit of promise and Paul Burke used to take me down to the Pheonix gym to train with all the pro boxers. It was brilliant and I got talking to Ricky who everyone was praising to the highest order. I found him to be a totally sound bloke- subsequently at any of my amateur or early pro fights he'd always be shouting me on- give me bits of advice. Chat with my dad etc etc... Couldn't have said a bad word about him.

Few years later I met him at one of these 'a night with Ricky Hatton' do's we went through the usual stand up routine. He signed a few gloves for ridiculous amounts of money. Various other merchandise and then was charging 30 for pictures. I remember someone asking to get something signed - clearly a fan and Paul speak (his agent) was like sure '250'. It was entirely about the money. This wasn't someone looking to make a bit of coin meeting their fans- they were tearing the arse out of it.

Subsequent meetings with him were no less dissapointing. I remember meeting him at a show and he was in and out of the toilets every few minutes. I spoke to him and he barely said hello. This was a guy perhaps in his lowest eb but I was still really sad that I'd spent all that money supporting someone who claimed to be a man of the people but clearly wasn't.

Add to this the way his promotional outfit treated kenny, just basically took their coin for the groves fight then fooked him off. I remember Paul speak getting the ice been all helpful and stuff, the guy barely can manage a word to anyone at boxing shows when I've seen him.

Also Hatton ****ing off on holiday a week before Adam Little fought when he's in his final week of training.

I'm sure there is a reason for everything above but it just doesn't sit right that people think he's Mr Normal when he's really not... At least not in my experience of recent years. They are a money outfit. That is the main reason he's fighting. He needs his tv contract and the only way he can get that is by creating the khan-brook-Hatton sky trio.

Like I said I may have it all wrong. Reading this site may have seen me look at things in a negative way but that's how I see it at the moment.

Despite all this I am still a fan to some degree, he was a good fighter. I found him pleasing to watch at a lower level. I'd like to see his comeback do well purely so that boxing can get back on the back pages.
Interesting post mate, got to admit i'd be a bit gutted if I bumped into him and he was a ****.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #38
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Just something i'm curious about, before I came to this site I would of thought Ricky would be super popular among the british posters but in actual fact it seems a lot of people really dislike him, not just as a fighter but have an actual personal dislike of the man.

Personally I like him a lot, as a fighter and a person, granted he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory since he retired (the Cocaine scandal etc) but I loved his aggressive style in the ring and I loved his "normal bloke down the pub" type personality, as in all honesty, that's just what I'm like

Now, i'm not looking to argue about Ricky with any of you, everyone's entitled to an opinion and i'm not particularly bothered if people like him or not, But I am curious as to the reasons.

So if you don't like Ricky, why?
I wouldn't say I don't like him, and I get the feeling that not many people actually dislike the fella... but... at times I think he has been guilty of claiming things are 'for the fans' or motivated by his great love for 'the fans' when they...well... have been for him and not the fans.

Such as moving a fight from easily accessible and cheaper Madison to LV one time. to say "thanks" to the fans was the rationale given. Thanks?! Stop ****ing thanking me!

For me at least it took the edge off my enthusiasm for him a bit. I just have a threshold for people jabbering on about their fanbase the whole time and suspect other people do as well. It just gets a bit tedious after a while.
Camaris is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #39
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siney View Post
I love the guy aswell, i think the hate he gets is because of the 'football crowd' he brings to his fights, alot of the hardcore boxing fans just dont like it, also i think people believe his 'just a normal bloke down the pub' act is put on.

edit: i will be honest there is something i have noticed since hes been on twitter, his love for man city doesent seem to come off like it use to back in the day so maybe he did play that role alittle bit to build his fan base.
This sums it up perfectly.
BretN is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #40
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
i like him but i think a lot of people dislike him for his constant putting of shit on ppv, and now this after claiming it was "for the fans" cheers ricky i love paying an extra 15 quid and i think a lot of people are pissed off at his fans for their effect on boxing, if i could go back in time i'd probably kill the guy who first started singing "hatton wonderland" as now i have to hear a version of it at every show
I feel the same when I go to an England match (soccer) and have to listen to

1. The great (MOTHER****ING) escape tune being belted out for the billionth time.
2. Everyone screeching "England til I die"

If only I had been there at the very beginning of both of these things with a high powered hunting rifle, things would be very different for fans attending.

Likewise going to cricket to watch England and having to sit through hours... HOURS.... of the "barmy army" chanting their own "name". Hilarious stuff. Go to the cricket, paint your face up in a 'comedy' way, and screech "BARMY ARRRMY!!!" for hours on end. Because that'll be ****ing "barmy", now won't it?! not boring at all. No.

Camaris is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #41
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Well you never know Oli, they may end up fighting now, at least Witter would hype the ****ing fight.

I must admit I do think Ricky avoided the fight with Witter, I don't think he was physically scared of him I think he just didn't fancy fighting Witter's awkward style.

Witter was ****ing mental back in the day, remember the Judah fight when he was waving to people in the crowd as Judah was trying to knock him the **** out?

He was ****in AWFUL in that fight, it set the tone for the rest of his career
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #42
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Never forget the night he was on the AL Murrey show just before the Mayweather fight & big Al was joshing about having no tickets & Ricky said "i'd love to get me hands on some of those & make a few quid. I wanted to stick my boot through the screen! I shouted out "You lying disingenuous CUNT! Yer Dad sold a stack to Preffered Tickets Agency in Vegas, carved every ****er up big time. Mayweather back then could'nt attract flies to shit & had about 4,000 attending his fights. MGM & Goldenboy said they were all sold outin 26 minutes, absolute crap! NO TICKETS WERE EVER PUT ON SALE!! They all went to yank ticket agencies & UK corparate hosting, along with special MGM packages in conjuction with punch promotions & Hatton knew that! Every ****er had to go & get scalped if they wanted a ticket! Fleeced his most loyal of fans!

I know this for an absolute fact as i'am well aquainted with the owner of the Las Vegas ticket Agency who just said "Com'on man" You now how it works!! The Wilderbeast are coming & we are the Lions! A quote from Punch Promotions over the phone was, we have no tickets left but we can get you some, what are you prepared to OFFER!!!.........cunts.

I'm no fan of Hatton, just a fan of big fight night in vegas, i just felt so sorry for his fans who got rounded up like sheep & fleeced.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #43
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post

Funny thing is I met him at one of those events too, I was invited along by a supplier of mine. Days after the Lazcano fight, he still had the bruises.

I got a pic with him and asked him to sign a few bits and bobs for a guy I was with, who was going to sell them for charity (I didn't tell Hatton that) and he did it no questions asked, more than happy. And he signed loads for other people too.

Obviously I'm not questioning your version of events but it's just weird that he would do that stuff sometimes and not other times.

Maybe it was because it wasn't a 'Night with Ricky Hatton' show, he was on a charity night with various people involved (Bruno, McGuigan, Cooper etc)
trotter is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
Peter__1987

vCash:

Ray Hatton sounds like a right money grabbing bastard that's for ****ing sure.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #45
utv
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Paul Speak is the money grabbing ****er, i've met Hatton a couple of times when Speak hasnt been near him and he's always been accomodating to his fans, on another occasion after the Lazcano fight Hatton was signing gloves and posters, my mate went up with a pair of gloves and Speak tried to charge him 200, also in Vegas, Speak was acting like a possessive girlfriend whenever anyone went near Hatton, he's just a fat twat to be honest.
utv is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum