Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449
Default Klitschko could learn something from Cleverly

Quote:
Klitschko could learn something from Cleverly by Steve Bunce

Wladimir Klitschko kept Marius Wach at arm's length for 12 disappointing

As expected, Nathan Cleverly won in Los Angeles, defending his WBO light-heavyweight title against Shawn Hawk in a fight from which he can take more positives than negatives.

The positives are simple: he boxed in America, it was an exciting fight and he had Tom Jones and Mickey Rourke by his side, so he certainly made an impression at the Staples Center. But being in LA with Jones and Rourke in tow and knowing that he needed to make an impression made him a little reckless. It made for good viewing, but it wasn't necessarily a vintage performance.

Then again, that's what boxing should be about - taking risks to get opponents out of the ring even if it means getting clobbered along the way. Nathan did get hit a few times - his nose was busted up a bit - but he won the fight and looked good doing it. He probably could have breezed it in 12 rounds, but he wouldn't have drawn half as much attention as he did for the way he fought.

It is interesting that Bernard Hopkins only started talking about a fight on March 9 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, after watching Cleverly. The Welshman's name had been mentioned, but it wasn't highlighted. There are three potential opponents Hopkins is looking at, all of whom hold a version of the light-heavyweight world title - WBA champion Beibut Shumenov, and Tavoris Cloud with the IBF belt are the other two - but my gut feeling is that Hopkins will take Shumenov or Cleverly, leaving the remaining pair to fight each other. Effectively we would have two unification semi-finals, which would be brilliant - not just for the light-heavyweight division but for boxing.

I would love Hopkins to fight Cleverly next. That's the fight I'd push for - I don't want Hopkins in a hard or boring fight that he could potentially lose before facing the 25-year-old. But Hopkins is a brilliant negotiator and will know that's the best fight out there right now - so that's the fight he'll ask the most money for.

Wladimir Klitschko's decision victory over Maruisz Wach in Hamburg was in direct contrast to the Cleverly-Hawk fight. Klitschko could have, and should have, knocked Wach out before the final bell. The Pole was immensely brave, but was finished from about round seven or eight - and looked like like a man waiting for the inevitable. But Klitschko either didn't see the signs or simply refused to take the slightest risk.

If you hit a man with 20 right hands to the head in every single round and he's still standing there, you've got to change your tactics - throw some body shots, you've got to start mixing up your cominations. But Klitschko refused: he just stuck with left jab, big right. Of course he won the fight, clearly, taking every single round as far as I'm concerned. But where was the variety? How did he manage to let Wach survive round seven and eight? It is a mystery.

As a result, we had a world heavyweight title fight that will be remembered for being 'competitive', but in truth it was anything but. Wach had one brief moment at the end of the fifth round when he landed one right hand, and Wladimir Klitschko - and let's not mince our words - looked panicked. Looked scared. Looked in trouble and had to hold.

I was slightly disappointed after that when Wach didn't go all out in round six. The giant Pole still lost the fifth round - you can't win a round on the back of 10 seconds - and should have gone for broke on his return. As Tim Witherspoon said in the ESPN studio, "Son, the world title is yours - go out and get it." But he never did - and that's where Wach lost his golden opportunity.

The broadcast on ESPN was a resounding success. Witherspoon was brilliant and Frank Maloney was forthright and honest. However, he did make one comment that I'm sure he regrets. It was a comment aimed at Wladimir that for some reason people think was an insult aimed at the late Manny Steward.

It was not. It was an attack on Wladimir and just how cold he can be in business. It was a throw-away, and at the same time unnecessary, comment.

Read more at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Manning is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Klitschko could learn something from Cleverly

Nobody noticed the Cleverly fight in America and if it wasn't for Showtimes new policy of showing all the undercards it wouldn't have made it on TV. I always get a laugh when the British pundits talk about the 'big American debut', like when Kell Brook beat some nobody last year in Atlantic City, the Sky team were raving about him coming to America and making a splash when it wasn't even televised in that country.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

it's funny yeah but he's got a point.

Wlad had a dead man walking in front of him, and all he did was up the tempo, slightly.

He's not a finisher, he throws his punches the same all the time, never with bad intentions, luckily thats enough to get it done, most of the time
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
stebinn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Well Wlad just does not take chances like that. One of the reasons for his early losses was his lack of stamina after throwing a lot of punches and gassing out. I doubt hes gonna change that because a Super Middleweight was slightly entertaining somewhere in Britain. Plus I have no idea why they are comparing the two. One is a 168 pound volume puncher, the other a nearly 250 pound heavyweight.
But Yeah Wlad go on and change your whole gameplan that made you a success.
stebinn is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
it's funny yeah but he's got a point.

Wlad had a dead man walking in front of him, and all he did was up the tempo, slightly.
Wlad couldn't add any more tempo. He was close to gassing himself out in round 8. You can piss on Wlad saying his stamina sucks, or even say his punching power ain't good enough. I wouldn't argue with that.

But saying Wlad held back and did not throw the kitchen sink and then some at Wach is just plain ridiculous

Bunce is a ****ing idiot.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
RememberingC.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebinn View Post
Well Wlad just does not take chances like that. One of the reasons for his early losses was his lack of stamina after throwing a lot of punches and gassing out. I doubt hes gonna change that because a Super Middleweight was slightly entertaining somewhere in Britain. Plus I have no idea why they are comparing the two. One is a 168 pound volume puncher, the other a nearly 250 pound heavyweight.
But Yeah Wlad go on and change your whole gameplan that made you a success.
Exactly. Comparing different weight categories is embarassing himself; peoples that says that kind of things
1- doesn't remember that that was a fight of literally GIANTS
2- Wach has (or, better, HAD ) an huhuman chin; he was seriously hurted, often, but he never even had bambi legs, nothing; nobody else could have taken him down, Wladimir did an impressive performance in the 7th round, but he seriously risked to gass out (remember: they are HW, NOT cruisers, NOT middleweights, they have muscle masses that burns TONS of oxygen)
3- Actual Wladimir's style is unique, and has been forged in 8 ****ING YEARS by Emmanuel Steward, a legendary trainer that almost anybody thinks to be smarter than him (!!!) ; it is perfect in the way that allows high accuracy, little exposure (with the excellent footwork and mobility of Wlad), and very high damage output, that forces the opponent to rarely opens up; if you think that you are a better tachnician than Manny and a men that koed 50 OPPONENTS, you're welcome;

--To sum it up: Wladimir showed his best performance of the year, and probably of the last years; Emmanuel would have been proud by his conditioning degree; Wach survived for unknown reasons, but he'll probably develop Parkinsons or other diseases in the future.
RememberingC.S. is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2964

Look at this ****ing drivel. People on ESB always try to say it's just a select few brittards that make the rest look bad, but this guy is a highly ranked figure in british media and he's coming out with this shit? It's no wonder brits come across as some of the most biased and clueless posters on the site when this guy is given a prominent voice in sports media.

Embarrassing article. It looks like some amateur hour shit off the ESB front page.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
BunnyGibbons
Is Not About That Life

vCash: 6371

At the very least, Wlad should consider wearing a headband & using Basshunter as his ringwalk music.
BunnyGibbons is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
Nobody noticed the Cleverly fight in America and if it wasn't for Showtimes new policy of showing all the undercards it wouldn't have made it on TV. I always get a laugh when the British pundits talk about the 'big American debut', like when Kell Brook beat some nobody last year in Atlantic City, the Sky team were raving about him coming to America and making a splash when it wasn't even televised in that country.
The british commentary is a joke really

The Alexander fight will be his real american debut.

The only thing clevery could teach Klitshko is maths by tutoring him
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Monty90
Journeyman

I would have series qualms about him not having enough punch power? he hit's like a truck, some guys can just take horrible punishment. Wach has a boulder sized head, short neck and big shoulders so he has all the fundamentals for taking a big punch, it's not a big deal, a KO is nice but Wlad has had plenty in his career and will have plenty more i'm sure.

Bunce is a complete clown, i can't even find words to describe the idiocy of this twit.
Monty90 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty90 View Post
I would have series qualms about him not having enough punch power? he hit's like a truck, some guys can just take horrible punishment. Wach has a boulder sized head, short neck and big shoulders so he has all the fundamentals for taking a big punch, it's not a big deal, a KO is nice but Wlad has had plenty in his career and will have plenty more i'm sure.

Bunce is a complete clown, i can't even find words to describe the idiocy of this twit.
Well then Wlad could have tried throwing an uppercut?

Maybe attack to the body?

Nope, jab jab straight right, just a bit faster than usual
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Well then Wlad could have tried throwing an uppercut?

Maybe attack to the body?

Nope, jab jab straight right, just a bit faster than usual
I don't think you're aware of how you come across.

It's very unfortunate.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Wlad couldn't add any more tempo. He was close to gassing himself out in round 8. You can piss on Wlad saying his stamina sucks, or even say his punching power ain't good enough. I wouldn't argue with that.

But saying Wlad held back and did not throw the kitchen sink and then some at Wach is just plain ridiculous

Bunce is a ****ing idiot.
Why is he an idiot, for giving his honest opinion of how the fight played out? Where has he made anything up. Highlight it for me?
You're just another typical k2 fanboy/appoloigst who gets the anger when people speak the truth about Wlad.
He didn't change tactics in the fight because he couldn't, the 1-2 is his entire gameplan. He has no plan b or plan c.
A man that size the first thing to do his chop down the body. He didn't even throw one body shot on Wach. Pathetic.
I believe Wlad hasn't landed a body shot on fighter in 5 or 6 years.
Has he. Prove me wrong?
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
stebinn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Why throw a punch that is not your best weapon? Wlad has used uppercuts before, against Thompson and Mercer and those uppercuts were frankly a bit limp. Why use a limp uppercut when you can use your devestating straight right. Wlad is not a schooled Bodypuncher cause it has not made sense attacking the body of men that are smaller than you in stature. But he should consider it when fighting bigger men in the future.
stebinn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum