Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #31
richie bee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thoughts on Bellew after last night. Is he ready for the elite?

Kerry doesn't have boxers doing ' bodybuilding weights' far from it, they work on certain areas and in short sessions, I was with Kerry when he did a recent training session with Brian Rose, took a total of twelve minutes , hardly going to be entering Mr Universe at that rate !
richie bee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I'll repeat what I said in the RBR last night before the fight started. I think Tony is a far better boxer when he relaxes and let's the punches flow rather than forcing things. His jab is very good and can open up any opponent for combinations and when he sets up attacks behind it, he's a dangerous fighter. To me as well, he's a puncher-boxer whose power comes when he doesn't wind up punches and just really snaps out the shots. He has a nice array of punches too and isn't just right hand happy which is good to see.

Last night, he rushed a bit at the start IMO and wasted punches although he got the 2 knockdowns. Then after the cut, he had to adpat which I thought he did very sensibly and let his boxing take over. He controlled the fight throughout and was composed and mature in the way he dealt with Bolonti.

He's developing all the time and is definitely ready for another step up. After 2 more meaningful fights, I can see him challenging the belt holders and putting up a good effort no doubt.
Spot on dude, when tony boxes he damn good when he tries forcing things it all goes pear shaped. He can prove his point but behind his boxing skills and the power that will flow from that
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I've just said on another thread,I really like Tony and he's really got it together in and out of the ring.
He could win a belt,but if I'm honest I think he's a little bit mechanical and predictable and I think Chad's long SP jab could have Tony at comfortable length all night.Tony tends to be a bit too "jab-cross" all the time for me.
Good luck to him though.Really would like to see him get a belt because he's doing it the right way.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
hughesa
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I have watched Tony from the start of his pro career and as a fellow scouser have hoped he does well. Thing is, I am starting to have some serious doubts. I think being a fellow scouser I have always believed with my heart that he will go all the way. But there has always been this underlying feeling that he is just not good enough. Who has he beaten to say he can go far? Miranda? Come on, Miranda was washed up and turned up for a payday. Bolonti? Who? Danny Mcintosh? British level.

Bellew to me is just to predictable at times and he is slow as heck. I still hope he goes far but I just do not think he can compete with the top boys. He goes on about bolonti being 5 with the wbc. Nice job of fooling the public tony. Yes you were telling the truth, but overall, bolonti is something like #24 in the world.
hughesa is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Bellew to me is looking more & more like a badly weight drained fighter. After the weigh in he was so gaunt I thought he looked like he was 15 years old! Then during the fight he was slow & ponderous, he made the argie look like Herol Graham avoiding his shots when he was steaming in. Then that horrible cut from a decent left hook he got countered with... dried out skin with the brutal weight making caused that IMO.

I know Tony always says he makes the weight OK & is drinking protein shakes & all that on the morning of the weigh in, but I think its his obsessive training thats getting the weight off, not being comfortable making weight. This guy could burn out soon IMO if he isnt careful. Looks to me to be pushing his body too far, its not right looking the way he does at a weigh in, collapsed cheeks, bulging eyeballs & looking like a big skinny 15 year old lad...
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

PS,

whats happened to dear old Tony anyway? I was a wee bit shocked to see the normally niceguy scouser with a bit of a temper turning a bit nasty for no apparent reason

Learning foreign words just to antagonize an oblivious soon to be shocked opponent at the weigh in & threatening to execute Bolonti afterwards? The 'likeableness' which has made Tony a bit of a cult hero here was sadly lacking, im not sure I like this new version of Tony which is slowly emerging
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
airdrie diamond
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He's still more likeable than Scott Harrison is Dunky. No matter what he's done you've stood by him. Maybe being a bit harsh to Tony in that respect.
airdrie diamond is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #38
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Re: Looking Gaunt... In nearly every interview he does, he looks like he is trying not to fall asleep!

Tony... Move up to CW, mate!
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Well, he's got guys like Denis Grachev and Eduard Gutknecht in his way before he gets in position for Chad's WBC belt.

I think he'll fight Eduard Gutknecht next. If his record is anything to go by, Bellew should beat him and Eduard is also ahead of Grachev in the rankings, so it would make sense. I assume after that, he'd get the mandatory position or would be in a final eliminator with Grachev. Not sure if he'd beat him.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
PS,

whats happened to dear old Tony anyway? I was a wee bit shocked to see the normally niceguy scouser with a bit of a temper turning a bit nasty for no apparent reason

Learning foreign words just to antagonize an oblivious soon to be shocked opponent at the weigh in & threatening to execute Bolonti afterwards? The 'likeableness' which has made Tony a bit of a cult hero here was sadly lacking, im not sure I like this new version of Tony which is slowly emerging

All I said in Spanish was the word PAIN! I wanted him to come and have a fight not run all night like he did! I'm not weight drained at all! Weight drained people don't get up from knockdowns, weight drained people don't do 12 rounds and throw 800 punches, weight drained people don't eat on the day of weigh ins and weight drained people usually dry out which is something I refuse to do! What you see is what you get with me it's that simple..

I'll be back in a ring sooner than people think and I WILL win a world title in the end! I'm so determined and will do what needs doing! Time will tell! One thing is for sure, I'm only looking to fight guys that are gonna get me that world title shot..

Thanks to all on ESB for your support as always
Tony Bellew is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

He's proved he can operate at world level.. he can box and also scrap it out if need be plus we've seen him get up from big shots & also deal effectively with a bad cut!

Should he take on Dawson right now? not yet for me but Bellew will be a world champion.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #42
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fights against guys who look to survive like at the weekend, they are all experience, but he needs a couple more against competitive guys who offer more offensively, because ithe big fights it won't all be one way traffic.

That said hatton was steamrollering opponents before tszyu and it did him no harm but he'd got a lot of fights in and he'd had more tough nights in the locker.

Think tony needs another year and some sterner tests just to prep him nicely for when the big one comes along.

He matched cleverly so he's definitely on the cusp IMO. Still looks fresh to me but a tad green.

I thought haye was green before mormeck to be honest, suppose sometimes you have to just make the leap.

The key at this stage is Simply to keep improving, he seems to be doing that.
trotter is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #43
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bellew View Post
All I said in Spanish was the word PAIN! I wanted him to come and have a fight not run all night like he did! I'm not weight drained at all! Weight drained people don't get up from knockdowns, weight drained people don't do 12 rounds and throw 800 punches, weight drained people don't eat on the day of weigh ins and weight drained people usually dry out which is something I refuse to do! What you see is what you get with me it's that simple..

I'll be back in a ring sooner than people think and I WILL win a world title in the end! I'm so determined and will do what needs doing! Time will tell! One thing is for sure, I'm only looking to fight guys that are gonna get me that world title shot..

You're welcome Tony mate. If you're able to fight on the February card at the Echo Arena then I'll definitely be there supporting you and the rest of the scouse lads.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Definitely knocking pretty hard on the door after Saturday's impressive display. Well done, mate.
On The Money is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #45
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bellew View Post

If i wanted to be 168 pounds, i could be 168 pounds and not have to dry out. All i need to do, is restrict my calorie intake/micro nutrients. This is where i think you are at, so even though you might not have to weight drain before weigh in's..? You are basically just slowly suffocating your body to stay at a unnatural weight, which in the long term can do damage to the body? due to the high intensity's you train at.

When Bernard Hopkins moved up to 175, he did not have to body build to get to that weight..? he just started to eat more naturally and instinctively, Manny Stewart stated he would of been a light heavyweight years before he moved up, but due to his dieting & restriction he held out at 160 for as long as possible.

If you feel like you are a 100% capacity at 175, f airplay! The reason why you get up from knock-downs is for me, due to your natural toughness, i referenced to that in my earlier post.

I think at CW you will be physical stronger, and who knows how it will affect your performance..? Plus 175 is shit division anyway, the CW division has allot of raw material to market, afew years back it was belonging to take off with the Hayemaker affect.

It can rise again.

But i suppose you are doing what you have to do, and it has been a way of life for many boxers past and present.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum