Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419
Default Re: is Froch's resume really that great

I have Honeyghan as the better boxer as well but I wouldn't say there was a massive gap between the pair of them. Lloyd obv has the best win with Curry, a very good win with Blocker and a nice revenge win (first a TD) over Vaca but he got well beaten in his other big fights with Starling, Breland and even Paziena.

I'm not going to argue on a technical side of it as I feel Honeyghan was more gifted than Froch but imo Froch has juat as good a resume than Honeyghan and has looked far better in his losses than Lloyd did.
chatty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
He can only fight what's around him and fight them he has.

He hasn't ducked anybody, he's travelled the globe, that's all you can ask of any fighter.
macho_grande is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
BoxingObserver
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Pascal, Taylor, Abraham, Kessler, Bute, Ward, Johnson. How can you argue with that? Its fact.
BoxingObserver is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
tom22709
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
imn sick of people saying thats its great and hes fought great fighter after great fighter. like hes got the resume of a ray leonard, dela hoya, tommy hearns

imn sick of this froch being a modern great

theres only one potentially great fighter (ward) and he got comprehensively beaten

there mostly good/ok fighters. kessler and dirrell it can be said were very good and he arguable lost to both

we dont know how good bute is. arthur abrham was decent at best he did nothohng of distinction. a still good taylor was beating him clearly.

glenn johnson had seen better days and was coming down in weight. froch struggled with him

pascal is a really strong good fighter who froch deserves a lot of credit for outslugging in 2008. if hopkins hadnt of schooled him last year we may be giving carl more credit for that win

imn no froch hater. hes been great for boxing. the win over bute was a great performance but that and the facts hes fought all the top super middles of his generation doesnt make him him great

if some of the guys he beat were outstanding/potential greats i would say an argument could be made but we use the word great too much nowadays especially in boxing because the standards have lowered

froch still has time to enhance himself. he stil looks like hes improving as a fighter. but please stop insulting boxing history by saying hes great
Agreed you cannot place his resume in the same sentence as that of Leanord, DLH etc. But the fact is he has fought everyone of any substance in the SMW division...Elite level, contenders, world champions, everyone.

Never once has he ducked a fight and is always pushing for the best fight available, sure his resume doesn't match up to the above due to the available competition not being as high a level. But the proof is in the pudding he is a true champion and in boxing today they are few and far between.

If every fighter has Frochs mentality and attitude boxing would be in a better place
tom22709 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
I have Honeyghan as the better boxer as well but I wouldn't say there was a massive gap between the pair of them. Lloyd obv has the best win with Curry, a very good win with Blocker and a nice revenge win (first a TD) over Vaca but he got well beaten in his other big fights with Starling, Breland and even Paziena.

I'm not going to argue on a technical side of it as I feel Honeyghan was more gifted than Froch but imo Froch has juat as good a resume than Honeyghan and has looked far better in his losses than Lloyd did.
Lloyd was past his best before Starling schooled him. Froch was totally
schooled during his best run of form. Vinny Pazroid is inexcusable but Breland was a good fighter at least at that stage and had a big dig, and Honeyghan was shot to pieces (looked HORRID) Froch has built at a steady pace and has hit his physical best into his mid-30s. If after this incredible run he gets old, gets blasted a few times against opposition he could've beaten at his best would it detract from what he's done already? Not really.

And as Kos pointed out Honeyghan wasted Rosi away from home as well.

At this point, I go with the guy who has actually won a real World title as well as having some solid second tier wins. Froch would need something pretty spectacular to overtake Honeyghan at this stage or a few more very solid wins...for me a couple of B+ wins don't necessarily make a fighter overtake a guy with one incredible win and comparable second tier victories.

Not far off but Honeyghan clearly more accomplished (with several defences of THE World title) and the better fighter on film.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
You can say a lot of things about Froch - technically he's not exactly supreme, he lost to the two best fighters he faced, etc....

But the one thing you simply can't do is knock his opposition - he's fought literally everyone in his weight class worthy of mentioning.

Faced all his domestic rivals, a fair few international contenders and all available world level fighters during his time in the top 5 or so in the division.

It was only 7-8 months ago ''experts'' like Steve Bunce were saying he should fight a couple of bus drivers to build his confidence after the Ward defeat. Instead he wasted a man who Ward and Pavlik weren't all that keen on facing (why I don't know), and then took an OK-ish filler fight immediately afterwards whilst lining up more tough fights for 2013.

He's fought top fighters on a more consistent and basis than any other British fighter in recent times. Hatton and Calzaghe both fought their fair share of turds, Khan has fought a few, ditto Haye and the assortment of ''Allegedly world champions'' that Britain has had.
Pretty much it.
glue glove is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Record
thats the english word. yanks use resume
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #38
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom22709 View Post
Agreed you cannot place his resume in the same sentence as that of Leanord, DLH etc. But the fact is he has fought everyone of any substance in the SMW division...Elite level, contenders, world champions, everyone.

Never once has he ducked a fight and is always pushing for the best fight available, sure his resume doesn't match up to the above due to the available competition not being as high a level. But the proof is in the pudding he is a true champion and in boxing today they are few and far between.

If every fighter has Frochs mentality and attitude boxing would be in a better place
great point. the reason i wrote this article is because imn sick of people saying hes fought great fighter after great fighter when he hasnt. the only exceptional fighter on his record is anfre ward

he deserves all the credit in the world for taking tough fight after tough fight
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #39
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
thats the english word. yanks use resume
Last time I looked Froch is British.......The resume thing is only a fairly recent affectation, even across the pond.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #40
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Last time I looked Froch is British.......The resume thing is only a fairly recent affectation, even across the pond.
its happened over the last year or so and it makes me cringe
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #41
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
its happened over the last year or so and it makes me cringe
Its ****ing awful
icemax is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #42
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Won't be long before people are removing the letter U from words like flavour and colour.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #43
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

With Froch it's not just about the names, Ws and Ls on the record. It's about ther circumstance, timing and manner of the victories and defeats. I defy any Brit to watch the Taylor fight and not be whooping like a madman at the end, similarly I defy anyone not to be on the edge of their seat against Kessler, amazed at what turned up against Abraham and on and on.

The only dissapointing fight for me was Ward, where he was outclassed and never really turned up. I wasn't even particularly dissapointed with the Dirrel fight, i was there and it wasn't as bad (or as close for large parts) as is now made out.

Modern British great? hell yeah! In an era of paper chamions, politics and ducking he's a bona fide beacon of boxing sportsmanship and integrity.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
i agree his resume is ****ing awful, but his record is shit hot,no one i mean no one should be knocking frochs RECORD, its shit hot.
in fact anyone in the boxing game thinks its shit hot,its just internet nerds who think it aint.
froch is a british great ,can't ****ing believe anyone knocks him
widdy is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
With Froch it's not just about the names, Ws and Ls on the record. It's about ther circumstance, timing and manner of the victories and defeats. I defy any Brit to watch the Taylor fight and not be whooping like a madman at the end, similarly I defy anyone not to be on the edge of their seat against Kessler, amazed at what turned up against Abraham and on and on.

The only dissapointing fight for me was Ward, where he was outclassed and never really turned up. I wasn't even particularly dissapointed with the Dirrel fight, i was there and it wasn't as bad (or as close for large parts) as is now made out.

Modern British great? hell yeah! In an era of paper chamions, politics and ducking he's a bona fide beacon of boxing sportsmanship and integrity.
the mans an inspiration no doubt

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum