Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #46
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Pavlik Ward signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Easy win for Ward, the SMW division is so weak that Pavlik who hasnt done anything at SMW is one of the best on offer?
Its not weak, hes just beaten everyone.

And people really need to check this whole notion that Pavlik is some sort of bum.

Hes a former undiputed champ at middleweight and has only been beaten by the very best.

People are talking likes hes some 18-12-1 nobody!
irishny is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #47
DocLouis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1431

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighttsharpe View Post
He's being (subtly) blackballed.
Ah makes sense. Can't really argue with that.

Sorry for the OT folks.
DocLouis is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #48
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLouis View Post
I thought he would have been more active since he "came back". I really only listed him based on potential. If he's inactive, he won't have a shot against anyone. Hopefully he gets it together & gets back in the ring. He hasn't fought in almost a year!
I heard he was training with Loew, would explain why he was at Jack's event, and was training full time and not going to do the last minute bouts that he wasn't prepared for anymore. He had a little girl that I'd guess could be his daughter that looked about one year or so old. Boxing is a tough business and I hope it does him good.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
ridiculous fight
Not really.

Ward will win, of course. However, Pavlik is one tough, scrappy dude, and he's surely going to bring it to Ward. So, the really interesting thing will be how Ward fights him. Will Ward dance around and do that Mayweather thing that he does so well, or will we se the "new" Ward that demolished Dawson?

The answer is important, since Ward-Froch II is on the horizon, and Froch is looking mighty tough these days.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #50
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I heard he was training with Loew, would explain why he was at Jack's event, and was training full time and not going to do the last minute bouts that he wasn't prepared for anymore. He had a little girl that I'd guess could be his daughter that looked about one year or so old. Boxing is a tough business and I hope it does him good.
I think you and Doc are not on the same page. Sounds like Doc is talking about Dirrell and you're talking about Darnell Boone
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBot View Post
Arreola-Stiverne as opener. Stiverne by brutal KO.
That's a very interesting matchup. It could end up being a great fight.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #52
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
I think you and Doc are not on the same page. Sounds like Doc is talking about Dirrell and you're talking about Darnell Boone
Don't know why. Probably slipped a cog and was thinking about the thread about Boone beating Ward and being owed a rematch.

Dirrell blacklisted? WTF? Only guy I have a really good chance against Ward at this time. GBP thing because of his new promoter?
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #53
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Easy win for Ward, the SMW division is so weak that Pavlik who hasnt done anything at SMW is one of the best on offer?
He should take on a real world beater like Charles Brewer or Juan Gimenez.

Now those were title defenses.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #54
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

At least Pavlik is fighting Ward in Oakland, he'll get his ass beat but luckily minimal fans from his hometown will be there to witness this ass beating in person.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Don't like this fight for either but better than nothing I guess????
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #56
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

SMW is pretty much cleaned out. You have guys like Oosthuzien and Rodriguez on the way up, but they both need a career-defining, televised win to get them a shot at Ward. Pavlik will carry this fight on name recognition alone. It's pretty pointless but activity beats inactivity.
EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Pavlik I think has improved abit under Garcia he hasnt looked that hungry since his 160 days. He needs a fight he can look good against and further boost his confidence before facing Ward if it ever happens. He should face Andrade which should be very fan friendly and then turn his attention to Bute. But Ward? Don't think so man.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #58
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

There is no better fight out there for Ward so I don't see why people are bitching. The fight makes sense financially and Pavlik is not some sort of a bum.
Leonit is online now  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #59
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Pavlik I think has improved abit under Garcia he hasnt looked that hungry since his 160 days. He needs a fight he can look good against and further boost his confidence before facing Ward if it ever happens. He should face Andrade which should be very fan friendly and then turn his attention to Bute. But Ward? Don't think so man.
Well, some of that "hasn't looked hungry" factor is that I would imagine it is hard to get motivated to fight the Scott Sigmons and Alfonso Lopez's of the world when you were once a top guy who still has some ability left.

I wouldn't send him straight to Ward either. Going from Rosinsky to Ward is a big jump and Ward might be the best fighter Pavlik has faced (though maybe not the biggest uphill battle in a sense, Hopkins was about 185 on fight night while Pavlik was around 172 making the beating that much more ugly. Ward will probably be smaller than Pavlik on fight night, 176 I'd guess to Pavlik's 180). Not saying that Ward is better than Hopkins in an all-time sense, but that at 28 he's probably better than a 43 year old Hopkins. Maybe Pavlik's team views this as a no-lose proposition. If Ward owns him, well, it was supposed to happen and Pavlik would have several respectable siblings in that department. The flip side of the coin is if Pavlik pulls off the miracle upset, then he hit the jackpot.

The only real problem I have with the fight basically coincides with what I said above. If the fight goes according to plan (10-2 Ward or worse), then the fight proves nothing. We have no idea where to put Pavlik in the mass of "other" SMWs.

EDIT: Pavlik Andrade would have been fun in 2007-2008, and I really wish Pavlik went to SMW THEN , but now Andrade is totally and completely shot.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #60
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Can't wait for this fight im a fan of both fighters, but it would be one of the greatest wins in a long time if Pavlik won.The good thing is Pavlik can lose every round and be in just about the same boat as everyone else imo. If he wants to keep fighting he should be able to get good fights even if he gets dominated.

A fight vs Froch, Kessler or Chavez could be real good fights that can be made after Pavlik is done with Ward.
Big Red is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum