Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What if Rocky Marciano never existed ?

Roland Lastarza beats a highly rated contender like Satterfield and then faces of with
Rex Layne following his upset win over Jersey Joe. Considering Rex wasn't at his best when they fought each other I think I'd probably favour him. The winner faces Walcott in an eliminator for Charle's title around mid 51. Personally I think Walcott would have beat either man, but Lastarza more comfortably. Obviously there's always the chance that Joe stylistically didn't match up well with Rex and may have dropped another to decision to him. after a failed Joe Louis comeback the title changes hands between Walcott and Charles, with either Moore, Layne or Maxim taking over at some point before Patterson takes over as the next heavyweight champion until he meets up with Johansson.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Rocky movies would have been "Rex" after Rex Lang..or "Jack" after Jack Dempsey (and would have had a cameo by Robbin Williams) or it would have been called "Chucky" after Chuck Weapner and would have also involved a child killing possed doll.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #18
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Roland Lastarza beats a highly rated contender like Satterfield and then faces of with
Rex Layne following his upset win over Jersey Joe. Considering Rex wasn't at his best when they fought each other I think I'd probably favour him. The winner faces Walcott in an eliminator for Charle's title around mid 51. Personally I think Walcott would have beat either man, but Lastarza more comfortably. Obviously there's always the chance that Joe stylistically didn't match up well with Rex and may have dropped another to decision to him. after a failed Joe Louis comeback the title changes hands between Walcott and Charles, with either Moore, Layne or Maxim taking over at some point before Patterson takes over as the next heavyweight champion until he meets up with Johansson.

Lastarza, Layne would have never gotten past guys like Clarence Henry, Bob Baker, and Nino Valdes
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Rex Layne may has not been ruined
I think that sums it up. I spoke to boxing people from that era, and many said Layne was never same after Marciano ko loss. He was 80% of old self at best afterwards, and a few thought he should have retired, although he did ok after. If he had no Marciano to deal with, he would be the guy everyone argues about from that era.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #20
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
. If he had no Marciano to deal with, he would be the guy everyone argues about from that era.

No, because Layne was never better than Clarence Henry and Bob Baker. Marciano was the best young fighter in 1951, but Clarence Henry was nipping at his tail...some newspapers rated Henry on par with Marciano. Baker was also considered one of the most highly touted prospects since Joe Louis.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum