Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #46
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if Tyson beat Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
This is very true, and I commented on the need to get rid of men like Bright, Snowel and Halloway in an earlier post. The Douglas defeat resulted in the hiring of former Holmes' trainer rich Giachetti, who I think lit a fire beneath Mike's ass for at least a brief period.
Tyson was also an EXTREMELY proud champion; Don't discount the hunger to get the damn belt back in lighting the fire under him.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #47
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

He also made the same mistake against Holyfield in 96

He came in thought hed get Holy out of there within a couple of rounds, was huffing and puffing by round 4. Which explains why he wasnt able to follow up on Holy in round 5 when he DID hurt him.

He gets stopped, comes to the rematch in shape, hires Giachetti.

Tyson was lazy and over confident more than anything else, however when Tyson knew he had a fight on, he trained hard. Look at Tysons shape in the Ruddock fights, second Bruno fight and the second Holyfield fight, contrary to popular belief, i believe he trained hard for Lewis as well, he just didnt have it in him anymore.

Even against Spinks, Tyson apparently used to skip training to bring fear into himself, and then when he would train, he trained twice as hard.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #48
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No Tyson was just stupid really to make those same mistakes over and over until he was broke and lost his titles the same way, in embarassment.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #49
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
He also made the same mistake against Holyfield in 96

He came in thought hed get Holy out of there within a couple of rounds, was huffing and puffing by round 4. Which explains why he wasnt able to follow up on Holy in round 5 when he DID hurt him.

He gets stopped, comes to the rematch in shape, hires Giachetti.

Tyson was lazy and over confident more than anything else, however when Tyson knew he had a fight on, he trained hard. Look at Tysons shape in the Ruddock fights, second Bruno fight and the second Holyfield fight, contrary to popular belief, i believe he trained hard for Lewis as well, he just didnt have it in him anymore.

Even against Spinks, Tyson apparently used to skip training to bring fear into himself, and then when he would train, he trained twice as hard.
Exactly. He also trained harder for his first 4 fights post prison than he did for Holyfield! Unbelievable. You could tell by his ring walk, his weight, his demeanor, he definitely took Holy lightly. He also looked svelt for Cliff Etienne right after the Lewis beatdown. He didn't want to embarrass himself again.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #50
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I have read lots of opinions, many have already covered things i wanted to say, Funny Man on page 1 and Magna have pretty much covered a good portion of what im thinking thought they put it better than i probably could

also say he gets past Holyfield the era he cleaned out was not as tough as the next era he was coming into

Guys like Bowe, Lennox, Foreman, Mercer, Morrisson, Moorer, McCall, Cooper, Botha, Schulz, etc wont list them all though i know i missed a few i know Tyson is great and probably h2h is favored over most but could he beat them all, i mean the life style the constant competition would have to catch up

Also on a side not of those guys i listed who would challenge or win belts in the 90's how come Tyson never got in the ring with a good deal of them? Was it prison was it missed opportunities
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #51
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
I have read lots of opinions, many have already covered things i wanted to say, Funny Man on page 1 and Magna have pretty much covered a good portion of what im thinking thought they put it better than i probably could

also say he gets past Holyfield the era he cleaned out was not as tough as the next era he was coming into

Guys like Bowe, Lennox, Foreman, Mercer, Morrisson, Moorer, McCall, Cooper, Botha, Schulz, etc wont list them all though i know i missed a few i know Tyson is great and probably h2h is favored over most but could he beat them all, i mean the life style the constant competition would have to catch up

Also on a side not of those guys i listed who would challenge or win belts in the 90's how come Tyson never got in the ring with a good deal of them? Was it prison was it missed opportunities
Moorers IBF title was next after Tyson was to beat Holyfield. However that never hapenned and it was Holy who fought Moorer.

King did have a fight plan set up for Tyson after he beats Holyfield, guys like Mcall, Morrison, Briggs and Foreman were on there. But after Tyson lost to Holy, King and Tyson went seperate ways. Tyson went with Shelly Finkel, who did a worse job than King ever did.

Tyson and Bowe refused to fight each other

Tyson and Mercer were meant to fight in 2001-2002 but Lewis was threatening retirement and Tyson needed the payday so he skipped Mercer and went with lewis instead
Azzer85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum