Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Tyson vs Carl Williams KO

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Tr3WkOnzE&feature=related[/ame]

Skip to 8:45

Almost every time I see a right cross coming at my head to slip to the left and comeback with a left hook to the body/head its one of my favorite counters. I like to throw an overhand right to counter a lazy jab as well those are two of my fundamental counter punchers. In Tyson vs Williams, Carl "the truth" Williams throws a jab and mike slips all the way to the left before coming back with a monster left hook to knock him out. It seems odd that he slipped left off of a jab, wouldnt it be easier just to move a few inches right? Obviously it worked, I was curious if anyone slipped to the left to avoid an incoming jab often in sparring or fights. Anyone got any insight on this KO and how it was set up? Also just for fun Williams complained because of a premature stoppage the ref said he didnt respond when he asked him "are you alright?" he didnt look like he wanted the fight to continue but probably could have, and then as soon as its called immediately protests haha whats your opinion on that?
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson vs Carl Williams KO

Slipping to the left like that gets your weight onto your left foot so you can shift it back your right foot- really get behind the hook. You can throw a left uppercut off the same move and that, for my money, is one of the slickest counters in boxing. but it has to be done fast, like Tyson did it. The timing is key.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Re: Tyson vs Carl Williams KO

He definitely came back with a huge powerful hook, I guess to get away with that you have to be super quick. I could imagine getting countered quite easily if you dont come back with a lot of velocity. Its almost like he's slipping and loading up with that big hook as well. Offense and defense.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing