Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400
Default Danny Green defends catchweights and weight draining opponents

Having most recently competed as a heavyweight, Cameron described the new 89kg weight as a "Danny division", which prompted a heated reply from the Aussie most famous for knocking Roy Jones Jr cold.
"Why Shane's making out like he's the first guy in history to fight at a catchweight I have no idea," Green said. "Some of the world's best fights would never have taken place without a catchweight in place.
"People need to realise Floyd Mayweather has done it, Manny Pacquiao, Bernard Hopkins, Julio Caeser Chavez and Meldrick Taylor fought a welterweight title at catchweight in '94. It's been happening forever ... it's happening now.
"And why? Because Shane Cameron walks around at 100kg, I walk around at 86kg. So does he think I'm an idiot? Perhaps he'd be happier if I cut an arm off before the fight too - maybe that would make it fairer for him.
"He needs to know that when I wanted to fight Roy Jones Jr for the cruiserweight title they said it had to be at 81.5kg. And guess what? If you want an opportunity, you take it.
"Roy said I was too big and strong for him at the regular cruiserweight limit and so I sucked right down, then went out there and knocked him out.
"I agreed to it because I wanted it. So what's he whinging about?"
Green said Team Cameron first approached him more than two years ago, when he was still IBO cruiserweight champion. "First thing my management said was, 'Hang on, he's a heavyweight'," Green said.
"So we agreed to take the fight so long as it was 89kg. And they said no problem.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Florez
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Danny Green defends catchweights and weight draining opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
Having most recently competed as a heavyweight, Cameron described the new 89kg weight as a "Danny division", which prompted a heated reply from the Aussie most famous for knocking Roy Jones Jr cold.
"Why Shane's making out like he's the first guy in history to fight at a catchweight I have no idea," Green said. "Some of the world's best fights would never have taken place without a catchweight in place.
"People need to realise Floyd Mayweather has done it, Manny Pacquiao, Bernard Hopkins, Julio Caeser Chavez and Meldrick Taylor fought a welterweight title at catchweight in '94. It's been happening forever ... it's happening now.
"And why? Because Shane Cameron walks around at 100kg, I walk around at 86kg. So does he think I'm an idiot? Perhaps he'd be happier if I cut an arm off before the fight too - maybe that would make it fairer for him.
"He needs to know that when I wanted to fight Roy Jones Jr for the cruiserweight title they said it had to be at 81.5kg. And guess what? If you want an opportunity, you take it.
"Roy said I was too big and strong for him at the regular cruiserweight limit and so I sucked right down, then went out there and knocked him out.
"I agreed to it because I wanted it. So what's he whinging about?"
Green said Team Cameron first approached him more than two years ago, when he was still IBO cruiserweight champion. "First thing my management said was, 'Hang on, he's a heavyweight'," Green said.
"So we agreed to take the fight so long as it was 89kg. And they said no problem.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Green does have a point, even ATG's have fought at a catch weight.
Ah well guess I will be watching this fight tonight down at the Pub.
Florez is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florez View Post
Green does have a point, even ATG's have fought at a catch weight.
Ah well guess I will be watching this fight tonight down at the Pub.
The problem is Green is defending the IBO cruiserweight title but everytime he fought at the full 200 pound limit, he got starched.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
happydrinks
@elPrincipeFeliz
ESB Addict

vCash: 666

danny green could drain him down to lightweight and it would still be an irrelevant fight
happydrinks is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

nothing wrong with catchweight fights like green vs cameron... they are only doing it because they are running out of options. and green was a career super middleweight and cameron a heavyweight.... catchweights are for fags when the divisions are separated by 5-7 pounds while having 5,6 champs in each division and none are unifying
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Loudon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Green didn't knock Roy cold at all.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru

vCash: 1343

who watches green fight?

Even if Cameron comes in at heavyweight, still can not be bothered.
pejevan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum