Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What would all of the bullshitters hating on Ricky Burns have said if...

Waay too many dumbshits here want their fave to fight at home, or where ever he wants, and to just make a lot of money. They think it makes them sound like insiders sprouting off rating or purse numbers. Just makes em look l**** a bunch of ****in fanboys. We should ALL expect this fight to come off if broner stays at 135. And this posturing is bullshit, considering Broner is NOT a superstar yet, despite being treated like one by the network, has not paid any dues really, and despite being a two division champ (or titlist), is not a household name, or as stated, a superstar in the sport who can call their own shots. This is just more of the current trend of young fighters calamoring for high paying fights more then the fights they SHOULD be taking and earning their place on the upper echelon of the sport.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: What would all of the bullshitters hating on Ricky Burns have said if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
People need to understand that America is where you go to "make it" in boxing. If Burns said he was staying in the UK his whole career, that would be MUCH more ridiculous than Broner saying he was staying in Vegas his whole career. If you can't see the difference you are a brittard.
We all want to see Ricky over there.
But the point is,I want to know what they'd have said if Burns said he wanted Broner but wouldn't leave the UK.

And no one seems to want to answer

And I wish you would fight that little voice in your head that makes you post like a dick sometimes Slyk when you've shown you're capable of far better.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
But the point is,I want to know what they'd have said if Burns said he wanted Broner but wouldn't leave the UK.

And I wish you would fight that little voice in your head that makes you post like a dick sometimes Slyk when you've shown you're capable of far better.
I already answered your question. Broner happens to live in the boxing capital of the world. If you aren't fortunate enough to be from there, you WILL have to travel. No one is going to respect Golovkin for telling people they need to fight him in Kazakhstan. Neither fighter is a huge name, both need to become big names, and the way to do it is fighting in the US.

Broner has the luxury of telling Burns he has to come fight him, as he's already living under the money tree.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I already answered your question. Broner happens to live in the boxing capital of the world. If you aren't fortunate enough to be from there, you WILL have to travel. No one is going to respect Golovkin for telling people they need to fight him in Kazakhstan. Neither fighter is a huge name, both need to become big names, and the way to do it is fighting in the US.

Broner has the luxury of telling Burns he has to come fight him, as he's already living under the money tree.
But it's not really answer...you know what? Never mind.

I'll put it another way.What would you have said if Burns said the same thing?

I'm saying that I understand perfectly what Broner meant,but why wouldn't it be OK for Burns to say the same? And sorry,but the Las Vegas thing doesn't fly with the question I've just asked you here.
And I'm not looking to be shitty,but that last "Brittard" comment is the sort of thing that lets you down.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Elliot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 634

Quote:

This might be true, however he isn't currently getting much from the money tree, not enough to command that Burns chases him.

Both Burns and Broner will make very similar amounts regardless of who they fight, therefore can get away with fighting worse fighters, it's shit but it is the way it is, and unless you're willing to criticize one you can't criticize the other, well at least without breaking away from logic.
Elliot is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
But it's not really answer...you know what? Never mind.

I'll put it another way.What would you have said if Burns said the same thing?

I'm saying that I understand perfectly what Broner meant,but why wouldn't it be OK for Burns to say the same? And sorry,but the Las Vegas thing doesn't fly with the question I've just asked you here.
And I'm not looking to be shitty,but that last "Brittard" comment is the sort of thing that lets you down.
I would say he's a joke who will never make it in boxing. A brit NEEDS to fight in the US to make it big. An American DOESN'T need to fight in another country to be a superstar. Look at Floyd Mayweather.

If Burns were the American and Broner were the brit, I would expect Broner to come to the US. Brit fighters who never leave end up like Calzaghe and are never really respected. American fighters who never leave can still become a Floyd Mayweather.

Your question is answered.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I would say he's a joke who will never make it in boxing. A brit NEEDS to fight in the US to make it big. An American DOESN'T need to fight in another country to be a superstar. Look at Floyd Mayweather.

If Burns were the American and Broner were the brit, I would expect Broner to come to the US. Brit fighters who never leave end up like Calzaghe and are never really respected. American fighters who never leave can still become a Floyd Mayweather.

Your question is answered.
No.You think it's answered,but it's not.
Burns has no bargaining power over there,so should he go over for a shitty offer?
He hasn't had one single offer to go over,he earns good money here,so untiul there is a much better than career best offer for him to go over there,your answer is inconclusive at this point.
But you did say that he would be seen as a joke,which is exactly the point I'm making.And I assume you're inferring that Wlad is a joke champion too?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Is there any debate that American networks, and viewers are the key to succes for most fighters? Why in the world would you want to fight at 4 in the afternoon on British television, and miss the exposure of fighting in Vegas on HBO? These guys are trying to "make it", it does them disservice to do something like that.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
Is there any debate that American networks, and viewers are the key to succes for most fighters? Why in the world would you want to fight at 4 in the afternoon on British television, and miss the exposure of fighting in Vegas on HBO? These guys are trying to "make it", it does them disservice to do something like that.
Again,we all want Ricky to go over there,but he makes enough money here and there still hasn't been a satisfactory answer to my question because the truth is,it's a stone cold double standard,and it shouldn't be OK for Broner to say it if Ricky would be a laughing stock if he did.
Burns is a legitimate champion too.Why should he become a mere "opponent" for Broner.

And I'm not having a go at you Reppin because you've been kool n the gamg with me mate.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

In fairness it's the guys like PAC and Floyd who have the drawing power to fight abroad and still draw. I think it'd be cool to see manny and Marquez fight in Mexico City...or Floyd and Khan at Wimbley, but these young cats don't benefit from fighting abroad unless they are fighting huge draws that will get them exposure and help them better their career.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

I've just seen another thread where someone makes a good point;
We could all say that if Broner truly wants to fight Burns,he'll be willing to fight abroad to make it happen.he has a far better chance than Ricky of making great money after this fight,so why,if he really wants it,is he so reluctant to travel?

I know the answer,but it's a good addition to this debate.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:

We would have thought Ricky was pulling an Ottke; only fighting at home and banking on a robbery.

We don't have much exposure to him and don't think he has the right to call a legitimate champion out and demand the champion to travel. For all we know, he's Joe Cal part two. Sitting at home, avoiding challenges and waiting for somebody to get old.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #28
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
We would have thought Ricky was pulling an Ottke. We don't have much exposure to him and don't think he has the right to call a legitimate champion out and demand the champion to travel.
And would you say Broner is doing the exact same thing Jeff?
You're certainly not down in my book as an unreasonable poster.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
And would you say Broner is doing the exact same thing Jeff?
You're certainly not down in my book as an unreasonable poster.
Broner has the legitimate belt and a good thing going with HBO. He also has the skills to beat Ricky, based on what little I've seen. He's a hot commodity right now. It's hard to fault him for not wanting to travel to the UK when he can make plenty of money and fights here.

Burns, at this stage, needs Broner a lot more than the other way around.

If Burns was the hot shot with a belt, I'd change my tune.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #30
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No.You think it's answered,but it's not.
Burns has no bargaining power over there,so should he go over for a shitty offer?
He hasn't had one single offer to go over,he earns good money here,so untiul there is a much better than career best offer for him to go over there,your answer is inconclusive at this point.
But you did say that he would be seen as a joke,which is exactly the point I'm making.And I assume you're inferring that Wlad is a joke champion too?
Wlad is obviously not a joke of a champion as the HW scene has shifted to Europe. There hasn't been an American HW superstar in a long time. Most up and coming prospects are not American either and because of this, the Klitschko's are able to draw every contender to them in Germany. Nearly every other big name division is centered in America.

Burns can stay in the UK all he wants, he doesn't have to fight Broner. He could build his name fighting domestic talent and go to America once the offer is sweet enough and he has a name. The point is, eventually, if he wants to become a star, it is HE who must travel to the US. It's because of this fact that if he were to insist that he is never going to leave home, he could become Calzaghe level at best, and it would be a joke.

Another thing to consider is that people are touting Broner as the next Mayweather. This isn't a comparison that is often made, and whether it becomes true or not, it is a big deal. No one is touting Burns to become anything close to that. Because of each fighters respective potential future, Broner DOES have a lot more bargaining power, regardless of whether or not people think he doesn't have defining wins.
Slyk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum