Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Freddie Steele Appreciation Thread

Where does he rank among all time middleweights? The guy was nails with great power. Sure he loves his right hand. But if you had a right like he did, you would love it, too.

Here he is KO'ing Vince Dundee who had never been stopped before, knocking him down 11 times...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUL-6M9wKwA&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Here he is dispatching Gus Lesnevich, future LHW champ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcJ_XbTgNI[/ame]

A big time power player in my opinion. A broken sternum brought an end to his run at the top even though he fought on. Then the war came.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Freddie Steele Appreciation Thread

Thanks to Burts posts and glowing reports on Steele, he is now the fighter i want to know more about. Pity there isnt much footage of him. He musta been some pup
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Great punching power as you mentioned. I think his relatively modest kayo percentage is deceptive because Steele fought so many excellent fighters, many of whom were incredibly durable and noted for their surival abilities.

Its often forgotten that Steele was even more famous for his spectacular footwork than for his punching power.

I definitely favor a healthy Steele over Hostak, who I rate higher than most on this foroum. I also would favor him over Zale, Basora, and he'd stand an excellent chance against Cerdan imo.

I think a thread pitting Steele with Georgie Abrams would be interesting. Reports suggest that many thought hardluck Abrams deserved a win over Robinson, and evidently a very big majority of observers thought Abrams handily outboxed Cerdan.

Abrams awkward wizardry against Steele's power and technical acumen.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think Teddy Yarosz would be a great matchup for Steele. He was an excellent boxer, had an strong jaw and was extremely hard to hit. Plus he was no novice at shutting down big bangers.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Where does he rank among all time middleweights? The guy was nails with great power. Sure he loves his right hand. But if you had a right like he did, you would love it, too.

Here he is KO'ing Vince Dundee who had never been stopped before, knocking him down 11 times...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A big time power player in my opinion. A broken sternum brought an end to his run at the top even though he fought on. Then the war came.
Steele was not only the first man to stop Dundee , he was the only one ,in a total of 148 fights.
Dundee was in hospital a week after that bout , with concussion, and a broken jaw.
Steele was undoubtedly a big banger, but he throws just about everything long, and I think he looks a bit sloppy against Dundee.

He looks better against Lesnevich imo..
Steele is very mobile and rangy , at 155.5lbs, he was conceding 5lbs to Dundee . Freddie was usually conceding weight to his opponents.

Great puncher whose career went into decline after his injury.
Arguably top 10?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

not without or before Jock McAvoy.

I love Steele, but have never understood the ommision of Mac when talking Steele, this is "the fight of that middleweight decade, the 1930s", and it should've happened... a reveiw of the timeline and opponents show this, and Mac also fought up, where Freddie didn't.

the two best middles of the mid late 1930s, why didn't they meet?
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
not without or before Jock McAvoy.

I love Steele, but have never understood the ommision of Mac when talking Steele, this is "the fight of that middleweight decade, the 1930s", and it should've happened... a reveiw of the timeline and opponents show this, and Mac also fought up, where Freddie didn't.

the two best middles of the mid late 1930s, why didn't they meet?
Same reason Risko would not rematch Jock with the title on the line,though McAvoy would probably have had to cut a leg off to make 160lbs by late 1935.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Same reason Risko would not rematch Jock with the title on the line, though McAvoy would probably have had to cut a leg off to make 160lbs by late 1935.
hardly a full blown light-heavyweight though was he?
he made 160 in 1939 for his defense against Sadd.

Al kid McCoy vs Jock McAvoy
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

A few observations : Life AND boxing was far crueler in the old days as witnessed by the brave referee allowing the fight to continue after Vince Dundee was floored ELEVEN times before stopping the contest...
Was there ever a braver performance than Vince Dundee gave that night after truly being out on his feet after the first knockdown ?
Freddie Steele was almost unbeatable in his first 10 years in the ring.
The era of the 1930s produced great MWs like Freddie Steele, Al Hostak, Tony Zale, Jock McAvoy, Marcel Thil, Billy Conn, Teddy Yarosz, Solly Krieger, Georgie Abrams, Fred Apostoli, Ken Overlin etc ,ALL who would be MW champion today and according to a Nat Fleischer who saw them all
would be vast underdogs to a Harry Greb from a decade earlier...Lest we forget...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

He wernt no KP but he was reel good man ill tell ya wut.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
A few observations : Life AND boxing was far crueler in the old days as witnessed by the brave referee allowing the fight to continue after Vince Dundee was floored ELEVEN times before stopping the contest...
Was there ever a braver performance than Vince Dundee gave that night after truly being out on his feet after the first knockdown ?
Freddie Steele was almost unbeatable in his first 10 years in the ring.
The era of the 1930s produced great MWs like Freddie Steele, Al Hostak, Tony Zale, Jock McAvoy, Marcel Thil, Billy Conn, Teddy Yarosz, Solly Krieger, Georgie Abrams, Fred Apostoli, Ken Overlin etc ,ALL who would be MW champion today and according to a Nat Fleischer who saw them all
would be vast underdogs to a Harry Greb from a decade earlier...Lest we forget...
Burt, if you have taught me anything, it is that each successive generation is about 87.31% weaker than the one that preceded it.

Thanks for the wisdom!
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
He wernt no KP but he was reel good man ill tell ya wut.
He lacked KP's brilliant success in coping with cagey boxers.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Great punching power as you mentioned. I think his relatively modest kayo percentage is deceptive because Steele fought so many excellent fighters, many of whom were incredibly durable and noted for their surival abilities.

Its often forgotten that Steele was even more famous for his spectacular footwork than for his punching power.

I definitely favor a healthy Steele over Hostak, who I rate higher than most on this foroum. I also would favor him over Zale, Basora, and he'd stand an excellent chance against Cerdan imo.

I think a thread pitting Steele with Georgie Abrams would be interesting. Reports suggest that many thought hardluck Abrams deserved a win over Robinson, and evidently a very big majority of observers thought Abrams handily outboxed Cerdan.

Abrams awkward wizardry against Steele's power and technical acumen.
FM, I saw the Marcel Cerdan ? Georgie Abrams bout at MSG in Dec, 1946. It was a close decision but I, my dad and the fans thought Cerdan won because of his aggresiveness alone...I can't recall any booing from the fans after Cerdan got the decision...Abrams was a tough MW to beat in his prime...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Burt, if you have taught me anything, it is that each successive generation is about 87.31% weaker than the one that preceded it.

Thanks for the wisdom!
It all started downhill after David thrashed Goliath...I was at ringside during that fray.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
FM, I saw the Marcel Cerdan ? Georgie Abrams bout at MSG in Dec, 1946. It was a close decision but I, my dad and the fans thought Cerdan won because of his aggresiveness alone...I can't recall any booing from the fans after Cerdan got the decision...Abrams was a tough MW to beat in his prime...
Thanks Burt. There is a lot of misinformation about this and Marcel's fight with Anton Raadik.

The pro-Abrams crowd wanted Georgie to be given a draw because of his brave showing. But the majority of sportswriters said that Cerdan won a clear-cut decision and anything less than a win for him would have been a robbery.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum