Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Developing mental strength for boxing

I dont know if enough time is spent on the mental aspects of boxing. I am not a trainer but I see fighters who are in total command. Like Floyd Mayweather, no matter how hard an oppt comes at him he is in total control. There is a clip of Joe Louis in a fight with Max Baer. Max Baer was a hard punching, rough tough fighter, with a excellent chin, he had never been on the deck in almost 50 pro fights, and he was an ex heavyweight champ. Louis, was a young pro facing a beast. As you watch the fight Baer rushes out and tries to bully Louis and tries to get Louis into a punchup. At first Louis is flustered, but Louis' mental strength came to play,the next time, he convinced Baer that it wasnt the wisest thing to try to get Louis into a slugfest. Louis remained cool and fired back with precise accurate punches. If Louis had lost his cool or been intimidated, who knows what would have happened.
My question is, can this mindset, where no matter the heat coming in a fighter like Louis or Mayweather maintain their composure, can this be taught or is it like power where you are born with it?
the Joe Louis - Max Baer
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Developing mental strength for boxing

Most of Big boxers like Sugar Ray, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Holyfield, James Toney, Zab Judas are believers. Watch Beyond the glory series to answer your question
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What on earth is 'mental strength'? That's such an ambiguous, meaningless term. There are many different aspects to a persons psychology, and they can all be developed which is why the profession of sports psychology exists.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
I dont know if enough time is spent on the mental aspects of boxing. I am not a trainer but I see fighters who are in total command. Like Floyd Mayweather, no matter how hard an oppt comes at him he is in total control. There is a clip of Joe Louis in a fight with Max Baer. Max Baer was a hard punching, rough tough fighter, with a excellent chin, he had never been on the deck in almost 50 pro fights, and he was an ex heavyweight champ. Louis, was a young pro facing a beast. As you watch the fight Baer rushes out and tries to bully Louis and tries to get Louis into a punchup. At first Louis is flustered, but Louis' mental strength came to play,the next time, he convinced Baer that it wasnt the wisest thing to try to get Louis into a slugfest. Louis remained cool and fired back with precise accurate punches. If Louis had lost his cool or been intimidated, who knows what would have happened.
My question is, can this mindset, where no matter the heat coming in a fighter like Louis or Mayweather maintain their composure, can this be taught or is it like power where you are born with it?
the Joe Louis - Max Baer
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
And you're not born with power you ****wit, it's something that's developed. I'm yet to see a baby crawl out and start knocking people out.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
And you're not born with power you ****wit, it's something that's developed. I'm yet to see a baby crawl out and start knocking people out.
Cartoon time
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
What on earth is 'mental strength'? That's such an ambiguous, meaningless term. There are many different aspects to a persons psychology, and they can all be developed which is why the profession of sports psychology exists.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=dealt_with;14245303]What on earth is 'mental strength'? That's such an ambiguous, meaningless term. There are many different aspects to a persons psychology, and they can all be developed which is why the profession of sports psychology exists.[/qu

This posts deserves a response, for those trainers/ fighters, who may be intersted in learning something that might improve performance afighter who feels good about himself will perform better, in training and in a fight. Motivation, is a mental aspect of boxing knowing how to instill confience is another. dealt, states the obivious, yes there is a "profession of sports psychology".
FYI, not everybody has the resources to bring one in, so its left to the coach to try and learn as much as he can.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

I don't think he was suggesting that people need to hire a sport psychologist, but was just criticising what he feels is an oversimplification of what is a very broad area.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
I don't think he was suggesting that people need to hire a sport psychologist, but was just criticising what he feels is an oversimplification of what is a very broad area.
Neither was I, but you brought up a good point, people are prone to over complicate things rather than oversimplify something.

I would rather learn about about somrthing than defend a statement. If you have something along the lines of tips, advice, anecdotes, that would help a coach or fighter with something they could use to improve do that.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It can't be taught, it's about being confident in your own abilities as a fighter.

Watch a Maywether interview, ****iest bastard in the ****ing world.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
It can't be taught, it's about being confident in your own abilities as a fighter.

Watch a Maywether interview, ****iest bastard in the ****ing world.
You're right, I guess that answers my question, thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
****iness outside the ring and belief in yourself is different to remaining composed within the ring when serious leather is being thrown at you, mate.

No boxer, no matter how fantastic or composed, has been like that under fire in the ring during their first few sparring sessions. It takes years of experience.
There's not a huge difference. If you honestly believe plain and simple you're the best boxer in the world you'll do far better than some guy that doesn't believe in himself. It's all about self belief.

The people that do the best in life go after what they want no matter what. Being punched in the face over and over is not going to stop someone with that kind of mentality, they just won't quit. That's why I find the "I lost 2 fights, shall I quit boxing, I really want to win a title, though" threads funny, they just don't have it in them.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Discipline helps.

Do the work, every day. Train hard, everyday. Follow instructions, every day.

Way easier to weather difficulty if you did everything right beforehand.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interesting Topic, Ive had the Good fortune to work, and be a very good Friend of a top psycho Therapist. Plus have used Him quite a lot, some Time ago. His take on it, Psychodinamics, plus Genetic Memory, is a major Player. Yet over the years, at times, its left me scratching my Head, with some off the Lads Ive worked with .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interesting Topic, Ive had the Good fortune to work, and be a very good Friend of a top psycho Therapist. Plus have used Him quite a lot, some Time ago. His take on it, Psychodinamics, plus Genetic Memory, is a major Player. Yet over the years, at times, its left me scratching my Head, with some off the Lads Ive worked with .
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing