Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Steviewonder
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Question If you were Chuck Wepner's trainer, what would you do to make him a better fighter?

There've been a few Chuck 'Wagon' Weper posts on here recently, so it got me thinking about this one.

I have nothing against the bloke at all, I think he had guts, and was tough. But, to be blunt, skillwise, he wasn't very good, was he?

So, if you were to be his trainer, with what you know about boxing, and about his style, what would you do to improve him?

If it was me, I'd train him how not to use his face for his defence, and to develop a jab of some kind. I'd also like him to be more mobile, plus I'd have to do something about those horrid crosses, like the futile ones he threw against Ali.

There's sure to be plenty of boxers and trainers out there, and also people who just know more about boxing than I do, so what would you do to improve Chuck's style if you were his trainer? Please feel free to be as blunt as you like!
Steviewonder is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: If you were Chuck Wepner's trainer, what would you do to make him a better fighter?

You can't improve on perfection.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: If you were Chuck Wepner's trainer, what would you do to make him a better fighte

Pray real hard...
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: If you were Chuck Wepner's trainer, what would you do to make him a better fighter?

Teach him how to fight on the inside.

I think it'd maximize his lack of natural talent, considering how damned huge he was. Big, big guy.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't think that there's much that can be done to improve on what little potential there was. Chuck Wepner already went further than he was supposed to. He had no natural ability, the tendency to cut badly, little power, etc. No matter how hard you trained him, chuck's ability to develop real athleticism was capped. Sure, he might have been a little bit better had he started off his career working with a top level trainer and staying away from the kind of life that came with being associated with the mob, but he'd never be champion.
mr. magoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum