sas6789 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Michael Watson vs Iran Barkley

Watson was known to be strong, but Iran Barkley would beat him and stop him late I think.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Ive always fancied Watson in this match-up, It would i feel be a similar Blueprint to that Mike employed with Nigel Benn, Iran was not as fast into the attack as Nigel, his hands a lot slower, and his shots more roundhouse-wild, so Mike would find Iran much more easier to Anticipate map and counter, James Toney did it beautifully, but was more flexible that Mike, Mike is more upright so would be relying on his high guard blocking more that actually making Iran miss as Toney did, Iran would keep pegging away where the young inexperienced Benn blew himself out and mentally folded, and he did have a good Jab when he used it so would be in contention, but Mike, i feel, once he gets past the dangerous first half, will read and counter Iran with ever increasing vigor, in the last third, Iran would i feel, eyes swollen, perhaps one closed, be walking into Mike's educated Counters, A compassionate Ref may wait for an ever increasing Watson rally to wave it off, Iran Brave Beaten and unbowed, saved from his own valour and a Watson fully in the Driving seat..Circa 10th
I just dont think you can keep slowly "Ambling" forward into the Classy Watson counters without paying a price further down the road.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Watson would clearly outbox Barkley, a far better boxer
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Watson would clearly outbox Barkley, a far better boxer
I see your point, but he was a better boxer with lesser opponents. I liked Michael, but I am not sure he could beat Barkley. Benn beat Barkley ,but Benn's style was incredible. And I know Watson beat Benn, but that was an inexperienced Benn in 1989.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I see a late stoppage for Watson, a really really good boxer, upsets me to think what he could have achieved, the best of the Brit pack of that time and i think here he lets Barkley tire himself a bit then steps it up off the jab and counters to force a late stoppage
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Barkley would be too much, coming from behind to catch up with Watson late.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

watson for me uses his boxing ability to win a close decision
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Jamal Perkins
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Ive always fancied Watson in this match-up, It would i feel be a similar Blueprint to that Mike employed with Nigel Benn, Iran was not as fast into the attack as Nigel, his hands a lot slower, and his shots more roundhouse-wild, so Mike would find Iran much more easier to Anticipate map and counter, James Toney did it beautifully, but was more flexible that Mike, Mike is more upright so would be relying on his high guard blocking more that actually making Iran miss as Toney did, Iran would keep pegging away where the young inexperienced Benn blew himself out and mentally folded, and he did have a good Jab when he used it so would be in contention, but Mike, i feel, once he gets past the dangerous first half, will read and counter Iran with ever increasing vigor, in the last third, Iran would i feel, eyes swollen, perhaps one closed, be walking into Mike's educated Counters, A compassionate Ref may wait for an ever increasing Watson rally to wave it off, Iran Brave Beaten and unbowed, saved from his own valour and a Watson fully in the Driving seat..Circa 10th
I just dont think you can keep slowly "Ambling" forward into the Classy Watson counters without paying a price further down the road.
Watson wasnt of the same quality of technical boxing as graham, mccallum and kalambay.That said his career was ended early and perhaps like his rival Benn he would have improved drastically.

I certainly dont think Watson could do what Kalambay did to Iran and i thibk people underestimate brakleys boxing skills. He had good movement and could box when he had to.
I think a mix of barkleys pressure and boxing beats Watson over pts
Jamal Perkins is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I see your point, but he was a better boxer with lesser opponents. I liked Michael, but I am not sure he could beat Barkley. Benn beat Barkley ,but Benn's style was incredible. And I know Watson beat Benn, but that was an inexperienced Benn in 1989.

He beat Barkley 15 months later, yeah he was already a better, more disciplined fighter but he fought Barkley in a similar way to how he tried to fight Watson, ie beat the shit out of him from the opening bell.

Styles make fights, and Barkley would have given Watson some problems but Mike was too good for him IMO, would have boxed him to a UD.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum