boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Chrystophilax
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 316
Default Re: I cannot even do 1 pull up. What muscles should I train to improve this?

A pull up is just a particular type of pulling action -- so if you want to be able to do more, find ways to replicate that (or similar) pulling motions. Someone's already mentioned doing pull-downs on a machine. Rows work well, (imagine a reverse bench press -- you'll find ways of making this work) one handed with free weights, or with a barbell.

One thing that might help is to find something to stand on so that your feet are on the ground throughout the pullup, and use your legs as you need to. I often do this to finish off my muscles at the end of a session.
Chrystophilax is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: I cannot even do 1 pull up. What muscles should I train to improve this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
I could do 50 at 16, and now I can hardly do 15

Of course then I was training full time, and now I'm a lazy ******* but still
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliBua View Post
35, when I was few years younger and used to wrestle Greco-Roman intensively . But Nowadays I can do only 15.

And I have never lift any weights or anything...
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Chrystophilax
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamito_2012 View Post
Nothing in particular. I lost a lot of weight and have some loose skin, mainly around the belly, but want to lose it and am just trying to do a lot of compound exercises. I heard that pull ups were one of the best back exercise for building muscle and burning fat because they're a big muscle.
If you want to burn fat, the best method is to do interval training. Gym work won't do much for you for that specifically, though it will make you more strong, vigorous, and exercise-hungry, all of which help for interval training.
Chrystophilax is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
ElTrigueno
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Eat more raw meat you goddamn fairy
That Erik Morales hamburger meat......
ElTrigueno is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I have a question. How much do you weigh compared to many years ago and what body type do you have. I used to be thin,, and I could do pull ups.. Then I gained weight and tried it and it was very difficult since I never had to lift the body weight I have now, which was totally different. I can do push ups, but pull ups are hard. It could have to do you gaining more weight since when you were young and just building up slowly. Maybe instead of pull ups you do that where you hang there for awhile and then that will build it up. I think my comment might be sort of idiotic. Thought I would type it anyway.
I currently weigh 12.8 stone, not sure of that in lbs. But I used to be 16 stone of pretty much all fat and little muscle. But now I've lost the weight, I need to build up my strength. I want to get down to 12 stone, maybe 11.5 if I can. I still have a little loose skin that needs shifting.
Dynamito_2012 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Could try using an assisted machine if you have access to one. If you go down that route though, I would only use them for as long as it takes for you to do one unassisted. You see some people at the gym doing sets of assisted pull-ups or dips every session, and they're obviously using it as a comfort blanket. Especially with the dips. I refuse to believe that any adult with a fully operational set of testicles can't do a single unassisted dip after months of training.

If you can do "half" pull-ups unassisted, try doing them to build up your grip strength and confidence.
Momus is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Get yourself a short bar where you can sit down with you legs straight out. Practice pulling up half your body weight, Work with that untill you are able to lift more. Raise the bar as you get stronger and pretty soon you will be able to lift you whole body.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystophilax View Post
If you want to burn fat, the best method is to do interval training. Gym work won't do much for you for that specifically, though it will make you more strong, vigorous, and exercise-hungry, all of which help for interval training.
I do about 15 minutes of cardio after my workouts. I heard this is the best way to burn fat. Thanks, I look into interval training.
Dynamito_2012 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 104601

Your back. Over time you will. Just try to pull urself up to the best of ur ability after couple days, you should be able to do one, then two and three.

Also get a chair and start at the top and slowly lower urself down.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
I currently weigh 12.8 stone, not sure of that in lbs. But I used to be 16 stone of pretty much all fat and little muscle. But now I've lost the weight, I need to build up my strength. I want to get down to 12 stone, maybe 11.5 if I can. I still have a little loose skin that needs shifting.
sounds like you lost some muscle when you lost weight. Just do small exercises and build up slowly and you will get the strength It will work out well for you.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

Quote:
I am in decent shape, but I have just started trying to practice pull ups. I cannot even do one. What muscles should I train to improve this?
I see guys twice my size that are able to do 5-6 wide pull ups and it's embarrassing. I always shied away from bodyweight exercises, apart from press ups and sit ups.

advice, anyone?
hahaha only on esb, guys watch a brutal sport but cant even do 1 pull up u *****
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 96

Your gaping ******.
Ilesey is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Fap with both hands, 5 or 6 times a day.

If that doesnt help do some rows & curls
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

Pull ups are hard. Your lifting your body with your arms, sholders and chest. If these things were ment to sopuort our bodies. We'd walk on our hands.
When you go to the gym don't shy away from doing pull ups. Also don't try to do 5 or 10 in a row. What you should do is between excerices go and try to do one pull up. At first it will be hard. Than you will be able to do one. Next you will be able to do two and so forth. Keep doing this till you build up your count to were you want it to be.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by |A|C|S| View Post
hahaha only on esb, guys watch a brutal sport but cant even do 1 pull up u *****
SJS19 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing