Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crescent Heights,Hell
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 438
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
You raise some valid points. Foreman, while being a very strong and powerful hitter, I think gets a little too much credit for his supposed SUPERNATURAL punching power. I mean, a lot of people make it seem like all George had to do was tap you lightly on the arm and your arm would fall off!
Most of his destroyer persona was based on his knockouts over guys who probably didn't have the best of chins in Norton and Frazier. No disrespect to those two guys (Frazier in particular), but they didn't have Tex Cobb-like chins.
And yeah, Foreman knocked Joe down 6 times, but Frazier kept getting up; he was up after the last knockdown albeit severely dazed.
Then during Foreman's comeback he knocked out a lot of bums, out-of-shape, inactive heavyweights and blown-up light heavyweights. And a lot of those guys were simply stopped and not knocked out.
And of course Moorer was never known for the sturdiness of his chin.
So, I agree that Foreman was a big, strong, hard-punching fighter, but I do believe he gets too much credit for his SUPERMAN punching power.

I'm sure there have been countless fighters over the years who have hit just as hard as Foreman; they just didn't make it to the world class level where their power would have become well known.
According to Holyfield,old Foreman hit harder than Lewis,Tyson and Bowe punch for punch. And in a recent interview Shannon Briggs said Foreman hit harder than Lewis and Vitali.
Now Norton and Frazier didnt have great chins but they had good chins and they were tough. When a fighter gets off the floor it is a testament to their toughness and not the power of the other guy dont you think?
Frazier got off the floor because he was tough as nails.
I doubt we can ever say who was the hardest puncher but Foreman had power,chin and toughness which made him world class.
Perhaps Tua,Shavers and even Magomed Abdusalamov are in his league in terms of power.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRt_Zv_1Oz0[/ame]


[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwWynfQKLc[/ame]
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

This is what I'm talking about - this mythologizing of Foreman's power. It's a load of crap. Briggs went 12 rounds with Foreman, got stopped by Lewis in 5, but Foreman hit harder, OK. "Foreman didn't knock me down but I thought he knocked all my teeth out." Holyfield should shut his mouth and pay his child support.
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
You raise some valid points. Foreman, while being a very strong and powerful hitter, I think gets a little too much credit for his supposed SUPERNATURAL punching power. I mean, a lot of people make it seem like all George had to do was tap you lightly on the arm and your arm would fall off!

He broke Jose Roman's forearm with a punch...
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #34
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
He broke Jose Roman's forearm with a punch...
Ali's forearms must have been broken in a thousand places... Or maybe they were made of adamantium...
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #35
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
This is what I'm talking about - this mythologizing of Foreman's power. It's a load of crap. Briggs went 12 rounds with Foreman, got stopped by Lewis in 5, but Foreman hit harder, OK. "Foreman didn't knock me down but I thought he knocked all my teeth out." Holyfield should shut his mouth and pay his child support.
I suppose using that logic James Toney hit harder than Foreman too because he floored and stopped Holyfield and George couldn't.

For ****s sake Foreman was near 50 when he fought Briggs and still Briggs backed away from George for most of the fight and was extremely reluctant to mix it up.

Briggs went right after Lewis and was stopped by exhaustion as much as Lewis' power. And if Holyfield reckons George hit him the hardest then who the **** are you to argue?

The evidence is all there.

George hit hard and was bloody powerful,his record shows that, his opponents all say that and anyone with two working eyes and a rational mind can see that . It ain't mythologizing if it's true. I don't see why you have such an issue accepting this.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #36
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Bottom line is that George hit way too hard, had KO power in both hands so no doubt goin glove-less wouldve destroyed his hands, but with that being said in a street fight or bare knuckle match Nobody could have beaten him, he'd have you outa there pretty quick And there a good chance he could kill you or for sure hurt you permanently.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #37
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Bottom line is that George hit way too hard, had KO power in both hands so no doubt goin glove-less wouldve destroyed his hands, but with that being said in a street fight or bare knuckle match Nobody could have beaten him, he'd have you outa there pretty quick And there a good chance he could kill you or for sure hurt you permanently.
london prize rules..hip toss..foreman retires after dislocated shoulder...
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #38
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
london prize rules..hip toss..foreman retires after dislocated shoulder...
Im pretty sure he would have broken every bone in both hands before separating his shoulder my man...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #39
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Im pretty sure he would have broken every bone in both hands before separating his shoulder my man...
clinches happen fast..london prize rules allowed Judo type tosses.. 1 of 5 things happens if he fights john L sullivan...John L knocks him out (slight chance) Foreman knocks him out (decent chance) Foreman breaks his hands before knocking him out and has to quit (decent chance) foreman breaks his hands while knocking him out and never bare knuckle fights again (decent chance) John L clinches him and hip tosses him enough to times to beat him (some what decent chance)....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #40
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
clinches happen fast..london prize rules allowed Judo type tosses.. 1 of 5 things happens if he fights john L sullivan...John L knocks him out (slight chance) Foreman knocks him out (decent chance) Foreman breaks his hands before knocking him out and has to quit (decent chance) foreman breaks his hands while knocking him out and never bare knuckle fights again (decent chance) John L clinches him and hip tosses him enough to times to beat him (some what decent chance)....

Stop it..Foreman murders Sullivan in the 1st round..thats a fact
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #41
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Stop it..Foreman murders Sullivan in the 1st round..thats a fact
its really not "a fact" because they never fought and had about 50 years seperating ones death to ones birth..hence its not "a fact" and it doesnt become one just because you say it does. You should understand that London Prize Rules did allow throws...a guy like Sullivan trained that shit all the time...that would make a big difference.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Why are most people saying his hands would break so easily? Obviously if he was bare knuckle fighting he wouldn't fight like a ****ing retard he would have learned how to be a bare knuckle fighter.....
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,382
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

He dosn't strike me as somebody well suited to the bareknuckle ruleset, for the following reasons:

1. Stamina is one of the most important characteristics in a bareknuckle fight, because it is almost impossible to score a quick knockout under LPR rules. Remember that the fallen fighter gets 30-38 seconds to recover every time he hits the canvas, and his team can literaly lift him to his feet.

2. The finishing skills that made Foreman so effective in gloved bouts, would be largley nulified under LPR rules. He would have to pick his punches more carefully to avoid damaging his hands, and when he had somebody in trouble they could just take a knee to get 38 seconds respite.

You can see where all this is going.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #44
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

I think Tyson knocks George the **** out.....in a street fight.
I know Foreman had a mean streak but i dont know how much of a 'street' kinda guy he was.

Foreman punches hard no doubt, but he seems to knock people around with his punches, when Tyson hit people, they were going to sleep.

Ive read numerous stories about Tysons exploits though. Tyson was a complete asshole, especially in his younger days. He would commit crime, rob/mug people and then run off and hide in Catskills. Even after he turned pro.

Tyson once grabbed a girls butt and her boyfriend, knowing who Tyson was, didnt do anything, Tyson still slapped him in the face.

Another time just after turning pro, Tyson walked up to some security guards and poured beer all over them and told them to go f*ck themselves.
Azzer85 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Tyson was a bully.. As typical with bully's he would back down when seriously threatened. Foreman was the real deal....no quit in him, great heart and true killer instinct.

Touching a woman in that way and slapping around her boyfriend is a testament of the punk Tyson really was.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013