Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: 12 round limit, saved lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Twelve rounders I supect have killed more than have been saved. As fighters do not go that extra mile in training, when they have a fight over merely twelve rounds rather than championship distance.

As mentioned, the safety aspect of twelve rounders is spin; the only reason we have twelve rounders, is back in the 80s, they fit into a TV hour, for the benefit of Terrestrial (Network) TV.
Strange statement. I suspect not many have been saved -- but a lot of damage has been prevented. I would like to see 15-rounders again, most fighters know the risks and I'm not one to tell a man what he can and can't do, but the final few rounds, when a fighter is tired, emotionally spent or physically hurt are almost always the most damaging.
Shake is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Strange statement. I suspect not many have been saved -- but a lot of damage has been prevented. I would like to see 15-rounders again, most fighters know the risks and I'm not one to tell a man what he can and can't do, but the final few rounds, when a fighter is tired, emotionally spent or physically hurt are almost always the most damaging.
Fighters of this era are not used to hard fights, they have it too easy on the way up and when things start getting rough, they lack the mileage of toughness needed.

If 15 rounders were brought back, fighters would need to prepare better, respect their weight etc... And by doing so, surely this would lead to less, not more injuries?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Fighters of this era are not used to hard fights, they have it too easy on the way up and when things start getting rough, they lack the mileage of toughness needed.

If 15 rounders were brought back, fighters would need to prepare better, respect their weight etc... And by doing so, surely this would lead to less, not more injuries?
I do agree with this point -- a lot of fighters drain excessively and are not in their natural weight-class. I do disagree with the notion that toughness prevents braindamage -- it's precisely the tough fighters we love so much that usually end up paying the bill. Getting used to it is not a good thing from a medical standpoint.

That said, it's a slippery slope. Boxing, at its core, is damaging and unhealthy. We're always negotiating with our conscience when we implement these kinds of rules -- and the effect is always limited. Men will find a way to test their limits no matter what rules you give them -- they will adapt, and give their all.

I shudder when I think of Erik Morales having a 15-round career.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

No..the 12 rounders havent saved any lives, all they've done is to undermine the tradition and significance of the sport of boxing...like split titles, too many "jumior titles" (except juniorwelter)..and the like...oh..and these "catchweight" fights...bring back 15 rounders.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Not in a direct sense, but obviously it's less damaging to the brain to be pounded for 12 rounds than 15 rounds.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Probably not, but they like you to think it has.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Ill bite.

Chavez might have killed Taylor with 3 extra rounds. Robert Quiroga would definitely killed Akeem Anifowshe; the man showed no signs of slowing down and more pounding would have turned a coma into a life ending coma.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Ill bite.

Chavez might have killed Taylor with 3 extra rounds. Robert Quiroga would definitely killed Akeem Anifowshe; the man showed no signs of slowing down and more pounding would have turned a coma into a life ending coma.
Chavez/TaylorI was stopped before the end of the 12th, so it would of made no difference other than taking any so called 'controversy' out of the decision.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Chavez/TaylorI was stopped before the end of the 12th, so it would of made no difference other than taking any so called 'controversy' out of the decision.
Wait... Chavez beat Taylor?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #25
louis3749
Journeyman

vCash: 500

I agree with many here, the number of rounds is irrelevant, poor refereeing has more to do with it.

Of course naturally some people are more easily affected by punches than others. Fighters who lack some sort of defense are more likely as well.
louis3749 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

hard to say. i don't think they will ever go back to 15 rounds. Hagler thinks they should, but I don't think they will. it would be hard on some of the guys now to go 15.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The 12 round limit is an abomination to boxing. Bring back the 15 round limit and let it be shown who are the worthy champions today. The 12 round limit hasn;t saved any lives. You want to save lives other than have better officiating and more conditioned, in-shape boxers? Make headgear a requirement (sarc).
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
hard to say. i don't think they will ever go back to 15 rounds. Hagler thinks they should, but I don't think they will. it would be hard on some of the guys now to go 15.

Well, what a damned shame that would be.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

TBooze, I think you're half right. Preparedness is one thing, but someone here mentioned how come there wasn't many or any ring deaths in the 50s or 60s. To that I say there was one champ not four. In order to get that title shot one had to go through his apprenticeship. By the time he got his shot at the brass ring he was ready. Today you have four guys looking for work. They have bled the top ten dry. One can get a title shot after ten fights. That fighter hasn't learned his trade. He's going to get hurt when he goes against the champ. Also, for example, Kiko Beijenes and Jimmy Garcia weren't prepared for their respective shots at Albert Davila and Gabe Ruelas. Kiko hadn't fought in a year and had lost his last fight. Why was he getting a title shot? The same for Garcia. I don't have his record in front of me but he had lost a title fight against Genero Hernandez about six months earlier, so why was he getting another shot? If memory serves me he was completely outclassed by Hernandez and hadn't won a fight in a year. We need less champions so our contenders can grow and grow properly, not plucked from the vine before ripe.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Good post Scartissue.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum