Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528
Default Re: Steward and Bowe, instead of Lewis.

Bowe and Steward would not have meshed. Steward valued over everything else, hard work it seems and Bowe... Well if he sees cake on the table and he wants some he will have as much as he wants and he doesn't give a ****.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
did you even see him fight?
I most certainly did, I lived the ****ing era!

You dont think Bowe had a good right hand? Come out with it, spit it out, dont hold back!

Bowe had power in both fists and unlike Lewis and Klitchko, could throw either hand with power from various distances, long, medium or short distance.
Its what gave Holyfield so many problems. You figure a fighter smaller than Bowe has to get inside his reach and work him inside.
Bowe had the ability to fight on the inside and throw short uppecuts with either hand and with power.
He worked the jab and kept distance. If you got inside that distance, he could do damage on the inside as well. A fighter with a size disadvantage could never find comfort zone with Bowe he could work at different distances.

When Holyfield did beat him in the rematch he beat him with speed and lateral movement. There is'nt a big man ever to handle speed and lateral movenment well. Bowe's loss to Holyfield had lots to do with Holyfields greatness as well as his own physical preparation.
divac is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No, bowe had no motivation. Futch came in and motivated him for one fight and that was the first holyfield fight. Bowe beats just about any heavy of alltime that night. Maybe not a prime clay but anyone else. Too big, great jab, and a great in fighter. Tough as nails aswell.

Pretty sure futch was a better trainer than steward and steward would admit that.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Bowe already had Eddie Futch you ****ing melons.

Difference between Bowe and both Lennox and Wlad? Intelligence.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Bathory
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

When bowe was focused and serious like in bowe golota 2 he was one tough customer... and man could he take a punch. That version of bowe might have been too much for lewis, regardless of trainer.
Bathory is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 651

He had Eddie Futch in his cornor. I don't think his trainer was his problem. While he had the talent to be great. In my opinion I'd take him over anyone on his best night. He might not have the mental makeup to be a long time champion. If his career was hurt by anyone it was Rock Newman. Who kept Bow from fighting Lewis when he was ripe for the taking, and set him up with lose cannon Andrew Golota. I suspect that under better management, a service Steward provided his career might have extended a bit longer. I do think he would be out of the picture by 2000 though.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Bowe already had Eddie Futch you ****ing melons.

Difference between Bowe and both Lennox and Wlad? Intelligence.
I disagree, i say motivation.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #23
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
When bowe was focused and serious like in bowe golota 2 he was one tough customer... and man could he take a punch. That version of bowe might have been too much for lewis, regardless of trainer.
bowe was serious for one fight and that was the 1st holyfield fight.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post

You dont think Bowe had a good right hand? Come out with it, spit it out, dont hold back!

Bowe had power in both fists and unlike Lewis and Klitchko, could throw either hand with power from various distances, long, medium or short distance.
Its what gave Holyfield so many problems. You figure a fighter smaller than Bowe has to get inside his reach and work him inside.
Bowe had the ability to fight on the inside and throw short uppecuts with either hand and with power.
He worked the jab and kept distance. If you got inside that distance, he could do damage on the inside as well. A fighter with a size disadvantage could never find comfort zone with Bowe he could work at different distances.

When Holyfield did beat him in the rematch he beat him with speed and lateral movement. There is'nt a big man ever to handle speed and lateral movenment well. Bowe's loss to Holyfield had lots to do with Holyfields greatness as well as his own physical preparation.
riddick bowe that fought holyfield the 1st time probably beats any heavy of all time except maybe cassius clay.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
Doubt it.

Bowe did not have the mentality of a champion that Lewis/Wlad have.
exactly.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
C.J.
Boxings Own Living Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
He had Eddie Futch in his cornor. I don't think his trainer was his problem. While he had the talent to be great. In my opinion I'd take him over anyone on his best night. He might not have the mental makeup to be a long time champion. If his career was hurt by anyone it was Rock Newman. Who kept Bow from fighting Lewis when he was ripe for the taking, and set him up with lose cannon Andrew Golota. I suspect that under better management, a service Steward provided his career might have extended a bit longer. I do think he would be out of the picture by 2000 though.
Totally wrong.... Both Bowe & Rock Newman were scared shitless of Lennox Lewis. Both knew to fight Lennox as they'd signed to do would mean the golden goose would lay no more golden eggs. So they renaged on the contract. I asked Newman myself why they ducked Lewis & his reply was " why risk losing it all against Lewis when folk with buy Dokes, Ferguson etc with no risk"
I think Newman did a good job getting Bowe as far as he did. He knew Bowe did not have a champions heart or workrate so he milked him & made as many $$$$$$$ as he could.
Bowe had the best trainer he ever could have had In Eddie Pappa Smurf Futch. Eddie did his best with him but realised he did not have what it takes & severed all ties. If Bowe wouldnt do it for Eddie he wasnt gonna do it for anyone
C.J. is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #27
Bathory
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
bowe was serious for one fight and that was the 1st holyfield fight.
Of course he was serious in Holyfield I but he was absolutely the most serious ever in his whole life against Golota II, especailly after the beating he took from Golota I. He was out to prove that he could beat Golota. This is all documented. Nevertheless, he got ouclassed again and that is why he retired.
Bathory is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #28
theboss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
riddick bowe that fought holyfield the 1st time probably beats any heavy of all time except maybe cassius clay.
Wow .
theboss is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #29
theboss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post

This is an amusing place .
theboss is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #30
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
Of course he was serious in Holyfield I but he was absolutely the most serious ever in his whole life against Golota II, especailly after the beating he took from Golota I. He was out to prove that he could beat Golota. This is all documented. Nevertheless, he got ouclassed again and that is why he retired.
Bowe recieved brain damage in the 1st golata fight. He was never the same.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum