Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #46
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644
Default Re: Adrien Broners win over Demarco is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I agree with the OP, and this isn't revisionist. I've been consistently saying (since before Valero fought DeMarco) that Tony isn't and won't ever be ready for prime time.

He was getting schooled by Linares until the latter's flaws (and his own dogged perseverance, one of the tools that brings him close to being able to hang with the world class) gave him a perfect in.

Similarly, he dodged a bullet due to Adjaho's stupidity/cowardice in a match that could have easily wound up an L on his record otherwise. (to a B- level guy, no less)

Kid Diamond was shot.

His next best victories after those are nothing to suggest he's what many prop him up to be. He's an overachiever, and a product of lucky circumstances several times over. Easy to root for, spirit of a warrior and all - but no, he isn't and never was elite or even close.

Molina is rubbish.

Broner was always going to bat DeMarco around like a cat toy, and I said this from the moment it was signed.

This isn't about discrediting Broner (whom I admittedly do disdain) - it's quite the opposite. It's about recognizing that he's leaps and bounds above the ESPN level that DeMarco truly is.
I remember all the hype Demarco was getting before he fought Valero. I never understood it. Its more then obvious when you watch him that he isn't some elite fighter. Plus he doesn't even have a style. He started as a brawler then turned into a boxer but he was never good at either. Not he's stuck in the middle and seems lost in the ring.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #47
Genaro G
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

I love Demarco and am a big fan but he is not a special fighter. I just loved his heart and personality. He had absolutely no clue how to adjust vs Broner and fought a terrible fight. However i give credit to Broner with the way he destroyed Tony. He shrugged off some good shots and walked his man down. Thats wht he was supposed to do and he did it well. He'll carry his speed and power to 140 and i think he is capable of beating anyone at that weight. He is not overrated, hes 23 and rising fast. Does he have the chin and heart to be elite? I dont know but my gut is leaning towards yes.
Genaro G is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #48
Hitta_Squadup
Beast ***e
ESB Addict

vCash: 5304

i am sick of all this De Leon Bullshit, that shit is ancient history and irrelevant at this point Broner was 22yo and to top it off he won in what was a stern test, Ponce gave him trouble early but Broner slowly adapted and pot shot his way to victory, Ponce landed no eye catching shots but Adrien did, it was just a lot of body work that ultimately kept the fight competitive...

If you dont think fighters improve you all are idiots and DKSAB, in a rematch theres no doubt in my mind that Broner would practically shut Ponce out and very likely stop him...Theres no top fighter in the history of this sport that didnt struggle with an opponent...none...Broner won the fight period, so why continue to discredit him against other fighters based on that performance, its ridiculous...if you have disdain for him because of his personality dont watch him fight and when you do watch him fight holding your nuts hoping he loses but actually wins then be a ****ing man and say the kid is an elite fighter don't go on rants about who you wish he lost to or who you think would beat him thats at a higher weight...

Also Gamboa is one of my favorite fighters to watch, but where the hell is he, i think his height and reach disadvantage would result in a loss for him against Adrien, don't expect to ever see that fight, they're not letting Gamboa near Broner, we may see the Broner vs Burns match before we see him move up to 140 to face Rios....
Hitta_Squadup is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
Isnt Gamboa going through court against his promoter?
Yes. He has had problems for a while now. I think he bought out his contract only to fall into another bad management situation.

So much talent going to waste...
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #50
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Gamboa didn't exactly look too good against PDL either. PDL is still world class his blowout vs Juanma actually made him better no where near being a cab driver.

PDL only lost to the best and with the exception of the Lopez fight he gavem fits and was in those fights. I wouldn't be surprised if the more experienced PDL stopped the faster taller DeMarco in a fan friendly fight. I think DeMarco alil overrated and PDL alil underrated. PDL not the one dimensional lefty he was vs Lopez I think he proved that against Broner and Gamboa.

Just like Bautista isn't some tomato can, but DPDL made him look like one with a destruction as instantaneous as Lopez's of him a bit later.

When someone is caught cold and KO'ed in 1 once or twice in their career, it doesn't automatically define them as being a pushover. Khan, Linares, lots of guys have been blown out in the first three minutes only to come back and continue to make noise.

Sometimes one guy is a bad stylistic match-up for another, and is far more prepared on the night, and catches them cold with the right shot, and it's a perfect storm.

DPDL is a much better fighter than Rogers Mtagwa (and no less tough, in fact I'd say tougher), for instance, with whom JML went life and death - but you wouldn't necessarily know that by looking just at their common results on paper against JML.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #51
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

What i find it funny that people here think just cause broner struggle with de leon that gamboa would beat broner lolol. Is this the same de leon that lopez easily beat by tko in the first round? <<<You know the same lopez that many people say gamboa would beat lopez? lol talk about double standard at its best.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #52
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It can be said that Demarco is over rated but the fight wasn't. The fight wasn't about Demarco but instead about Broner and he showed what to do with an over rated opponet. The fight was excellent in that respect.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #53
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

i used to pick gamboa all day but Broner has grown and is now quite a bit bigger and hits ****ing hard. i think gamboas better but the size/strength/chin difference might prove too much to overcome.
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #54
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 650

I agree. Def overrated.

DeMarco may have been the #1 LW in the world. Still doesn't mean it's a "great" win in the larger scheme of Broner's resume/legacy. At the moment though, it is a mighty impressive performance against the top LW.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #55
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718 View Post
I remember all the hype Demarco was getting before he fought Valero. I never understood it. Its more then obvious when you watch him that he isn't some elite fighter. Plus he doesn't even have a style. He started as a brawler then turned into a boxer but he was never good at either. Not he's stuck in the middle and seems lost in the ring.
I agree.

I, and it seems he too, have no idea what he would do best in terms of a general style. I tend to think he should be a primary jabber who should keep guys from getting in reach.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #56
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

so as you being allowed to post your own threads
Stinky gloves is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #57
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
People are just regarding the win as a solid statement. That's all. Not a career-defining scalp or anything.
Yup. Haters will obsessively detract and nut-huggers will over-hype, much like Mayweather Jr. and every other competent fighter talked about on this forum.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #58
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

I thought DeMarco would give a better account of himself. It was an impressive performance, and Broner did look very sharp, quick-handed, and powerful, especially on the inside. Broner put in an entertaining performance and his earned some respect from me.

However, he didn't look invincible or unbeatable. He still fights pretty flat-footed and doesn't demonstrate tremendous lateral movement, and isn't nearly as good off the ropes as Floyd is or as good as Broner himself thinks he is.

One other problem I noticed (should be fixable though) is how he leaves his mouth open and kind of leans forward into some of his harder punches. That might catch up with him eventually if he isn't careful.

Also, he's rapidly turning into Devon Alexander, adding sound effects with every punch. Made me dislike him even though I was entertained by his actual fighting style.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #59
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal-T-Bag View Post
i used to pick gamboa all day but Broner has grown and is now quite a bit bigger and hits ****ing hard. i think gamboas better but the size/strength/chin difference might prove too much to overcome.
you are starting to see the light
PrinceN is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #60
box4life11
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceN View Post
you think Ponce de Leon beats Demarco?
Yes because ponce has got skill demarco is just tough not really skilled