Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #46
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How highly do you rank Roberto Duran as a welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Great. Based more on his h2h ability than anything else. He beat a great version of ray Leonard and looked brilliant doing it. The way he looked against palomino and Leonard tells me he's probably a top ten ww h2h speaking.

I love it when people pick Tommy Ryan to beat him, the evidence is wholly lacking.
lacking. that's silly...ring ranked him as the 39th best puncher ever! (i think) and the ring's lists are consistently FLAWLESS. that's a ringing endorsement right there.

39th best puncher of all time vs a former lightweight. pfff, who thinks duran has a chance??
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #47
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

At WW, Top 10 for sure, But at LW I put him #1...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #48
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
The thing about DeJesus was in that even a prime Duran could be caught and put down, his defense had enough flaws and his chin was solid, but not to the point where he could take it from the hardest hitters of welterweight division. To think that only two persons in history had the power and the skills to deliver it is silly.

You want info? Sorry, but I've been putting hundreds of hours just retyping things for my scrap-books on old-timers, not to mention the thousands of hours I've spent searching and saving the clippings. I'm only giving out a sample of what I have.

P.S. Many other historians do the same thing, collecting the clippings in scrap-books, I'm not trying to be special in this regard. The thing that saddens me, though, that when it comes to IBRO journal, for example, they mostly only want to share the NY Times articles, like that newspaper is the only one out there.
Hey, I understand. But whatever you can share, please do.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #49
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
The problem with Duran was that he used to beat himself up with the balooning in weight, so every match was his to lose really.

Nevertheless, at welter he beat HOF Palomino, Sugar Ray Leonard 1 which is a colossal win. This win did wonders to his greatness and confirmed that this beast who is beating many hall of famers and monstrous fighters at lightweight really can be devestating against the best of the best.

It was a short lived welterweight career that's the problem. He's a VERY great fighter at welter, but can we say he's an ATG when he's only really fought 2 fighters? We can't forget his bitching out in SRL 2 either.
Palamino is in Hall of Fame? I did not know that. I don't think he beloings. Plus he did not make effort against Duran, he held and ran, and already knew he was going to retire after their bout, for his acting career (Yeah, that went great ) Palomino vs Duran was bad. Duran in first Leanard fight was good, and if he stayed in shape and kpt it up he may have earned greatness at welter.

If 140 poiund division was as big then as now, he would have ben great there, but he had few fights there then went to welter. He was great at 140.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #50
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Napoles would have beaten welterweight Duran, or lightweight Duran, for that matter. Mantequilla was DeJesus squared.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

At lt weight he was the greatest in my lifetime. KO punch in either fist, super quick, fight non stop 15 rounds without issue, constantly feinting, great body puncher, tremendous will to win and killer instinct. Arcel his trainer said Duran was the closest thing he ever saw to Jack Dempsey. At welter his punches had less pop and he was a bit less a physical presence in the ring. I rate him top 2-3 at lt weight and top 10 at welter.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #52
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

An excellent light weight and a surprisingly good welter. In most era's prior to his, he would have been in the top 10 at any given time. I do not see him as a welterweight champ though. I will say this, he was very effective as a welter and as a junior middle. He was able to go up in weight pretty good for as guy that was about 5' 7" or so.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #53
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
At lt weight he was the greatest in my lifetime. KO punch in either fist, super quick, fight non stop 15 rounds without issue, constantly feinting, great body puncher, tremendous will to win and killer instinct. Arcel his trainer said Duran was the closest thing he ever saw to Jack Dempsey. At welter his punches had less pop and he was a bit less a physical presence in the ring. I rate him top 2-3 at lt weight and top 10 at welter.
Well, if you go by the standards of the ESB historical revisionists, that would make Duran pretty much an overrated shit fighter.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #54
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Well, if you go by the standards of the ESB historical revisionists, that would make Duran pretty much an overrated shit fighter.

and don't be silly, he was NOTHING like dempsey: sugar ray leonard was black
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #55
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
That's actually the attitude in the General Forum, much as you think he's overrated in this sub-section.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum