Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #46
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: An open letter to Ricky Hatton

he got knocked out again, deal with it please.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #47
Caballo67
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1230

There's some weapons grade bellendery on here, all the more amusing when you consider the next fight most of the haters have will be with their wives over the tv remote.
Caballo67 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #48
Peter__1987

vCash:

Well said mate.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #49
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Dear Ricky,
I'm sorry that I feel compelled to write to you at such a harrowing time for you,but there's a few things I would like to remind you of in the hope of achieving a measure of perspective at this point in your journey.

First,I think it's only fair to remove a proverbial elephant.I have been a fan for many years,but it's only correct that I point out that I was a fan who supported you because I loved the way you conquered the world with what seemed to me,somewhat limited ability in some departments.But you took your strengths and reached heights the vast majority of us will be lucky to dream of,and I genuinely wish to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the excitement and pleasure your wonderful journey to the pinnacle afforded me.

Another reason you have a special place in my heart is because any mention of you almost always reminds me of a friend who is no longer with us.Back in 2005,we were in an uneviable position having(deservedly at least in my case) of having lost out liberty.We only had access to some of your fights in the run up to Kostya but I managed to catch Tackie and Oliviera and it's still great to think of the days when you actually had a jab!
Anyway,as the big fight was PPV,we were told there was no way we'd see it,but my friend took it upon himself to campaign on everyone's behalf to get it,and although many concessions were conceded,he pulled it off.I fully understand why people would be disgusted at the thought of prisoners being able to access pay-per-view television,but it came out of an account known as the "Common Good Fund" which basically covers the funding of prisoner's basic needs that the state does not provide,and whilst the merits of this may be questionable,I'm sure you appreciate this is not the time or the place.But my point on this occasion is that I fondly link you to the memory of a good friend who dies tragically young.
I suspect as I write that dwelling on the big nights may not be beneficial to you at this point,so despite the fact that I had so much to say about these great and not-so-great(from your perspective) nights can be edited to a far more direct way of saying what I really want to say;
You gave us so much Ricky.You made boxing really matter for a nation again and united fans from every corner of the UK in a way we may never see again.I know it's not us that are missing the adulation and respect,but you have a place in our hearts that mean the fights you want to forget don't matter.We know that you're hurting terribly,but you're hurting for the loss of things you haven't lost.You have the respect of a generation of boxing fans,and it says a lot about how I always felt there were limits to your ability in certain areas,I always cheered for you,even against Kostya,who was a big favourite of mine!
I loved when you had a ringwalk with my alltime #2,Marco Antonio Barrera and even allowing for the fact that I think I had been drugged for a brief period when I inexplicably bet 200 on you to win,despite spending every second outwith that strange ten minutes believing it was too big an ask.But there have only been a very few rare occasions when I wanted Floyd to lose,but because of who you are,you were one of them.
Even though I have seen several very sad moments in boxing over the years,I'm not sure if any of them were more upsetting than tonight.I said to my boy at the end of the seventh,"Ricky will make a tearful announcement that it's not there,even if he somehow wins"
I may have semed prepared for what happened but although I'm not proud to admit it,I cried my way through most of that interview.I am haunted by your protestations that you're "not a failure"
Of course you're not Ricky! And you need to realise that because you're one of the main reasons our wonderful sport is still keeping it's head above water in the UK,and you will be loved,admired and best of all,respected by more than enough people to make you see what you've meant and what you've achieved.
Walk away with your head held high son! You reached the top of the mountain in the toughest game of all,and those fights you can't forget about are the ones that mean the least to your fans.There was so much more I wanted to say here,but at the risk of ridicule I just want to say again;Thank you Ricky.Only you can taint the memories for us,and if you put yourself and your family first,get the help you need and win the biggest fight of your life,you'll always have a special place in our hearts.
And we'll be with you all the way,so cut out all that "failure" nonsense.

Gratefully,
A fan.

Thanks for reading.
PPV in jail!!!! ****off you daft bastard
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #50
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by efc85 View Post
That bit puzzled me? speaking from personal experience the chance to watch a PPV fight in jail was completley zero, not a chance in hell that happened.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #51
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

See a lot of people worrying about Ricky Hatton because he lost that fight. Firstly I thought he did really well- he put some really good rounds in and started well.

After the fifth he seemed to gas a little and thus ran out of ideas but he took the punches well and up until the sensational bodyshot finish I thought the likely result was a hatton points win. Though perhaps a slightly unimpressive one.

Don't be confused though this wasn't a man coming back to overcome his demons - he was coming back because his promotional company is pretty knackered without a tv contract. He knew that he was still a top name and thought that with a couple of wins he would become a suitable opponent for khan and brook and could negotiate to get hatton promotions back on telly.

In hindsight it was a stupid opponent. Why come back after such a long layoff against a guy who was well schooled and better then anyone a prime hatton fought pre Tszyu. They should have matched him with someone much lower down the ratings or at least a brawler rather then someone whose entire game is sharp, long range punching.

For those worried about his health I'm certain he'll be fine. The comeback was almost entirely financially motivated. He's got plenty of doe. The people I'd be more concerned for are his young boxers - some of whom absolutely deserve some airtime on TV.

Half these people airing their concerns on Facebook and twitter are the glory supporters who legged it for the door while hatton was still prone on the canvas.

One positive- at least I'll never have to here that shite song.. 'Theres only one.....'
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #52
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
That bit puzzled me? speaking from personal experience the chance to watch a PPV fight in jail was completley zero, not a chance in hell that happened.
Same here mate not a chance
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #53
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Same here mate not a chance
I can assure you that it happened for the Hatton fight in Shotts in 2005.As I said,it came out of the common good fund,and he needed a certain amount of signatures before it would be considered.
You're wasting your time calling bullshit here because I am in possession of the FACTS
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #54
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You prove it didn't happen and I'll take a permaban
Remember,you have nothing.I have FACTS.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #55
Peter__1987

vCash:

For what it's worth a mate of mine was in jail a few years ago and I know he got to watch Mayweather-Hatton in jail, whether it was live or recorded I don't know but I know he watched it.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #56
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I can assure you that it happened for the Hatton fight in Shotts in 2005.As I said,it came out of the common good fund,and he needed a certain amount of signatures before it would be considered.
You're wasting your time calling bullshit here because I am in possession of the FACTS
What catagory prison was you in?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #57
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
For what it's worth a mate of mine was in jail a few years ago and I know he got to watch Mayweather-Hatton in jail, whether it was live or recorded I don't know but I know he watched it.
Mate,I suspect the people questioning the credibility of my post have probably spent a short time at their local jail where there's a "just enough to survive" mentality towards prisoners meaning that they will be unaware that in Long Term Prisons,the authorities realise that it's wise to throw the chaps a bone now and again.
I must have dreamt all those years up,especially that particular weekend.
Silly me.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #58
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
What catagory prison was you in?
In Scotland,there is only short and long term prisons.there are very few provisions for high risk prisoners.
Under the new grading you are a High cat when you start an LTP,and you aim to work down.
I was in a LTP
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #59
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
In Scotland,there is only short and long term prisons.there are very few provisions for high risk prisoners.
Under the new grading you are a High cat when you start an LTP,and you aim to work down.
I was in a LTP
Oh right, In England you have different classes A being the highest D being the lowest, in a cat C or D I could imagine its possible ppv was shown, In an A or B there would be no chance.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #60
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh right, In England you have different classes A being the highest D being the lowest, in a cat C or D I could imagine its possible ppv was shown, In an A or B there would be no chance.
It's kinda the other way around mate,up here anyway.At that time,I was around a B Cat.I know it came out the fund for my hall,but as far as I remember everyone got it so the cost would be divvied.
You find that LTP's here are not quite Frankland,but account for everyone doing more than four years,so it's the smart move to throw an occasional bone for morale.
Hatton's non PPV fights were popular,so this was like a perfect storm,so to speak.
Shotts was considered Scotland's toughest a few years back, but it's a monastery compared to years ago.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum