Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,431
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

I don't have anything on paper, but there was small talk going around here and there during the late 80's and early 90's, that Tim Witherspoon was the one fighter that the Tyson camp wanted nothing to do with. That of course, does not mean jack in the grand scheme of things however. I myself think that Mike Tyson - being the superior fighter and fairing much better against many of the same foes as Witherspoon, would win. A well trained and motivated Tim Witherspoon would be a challenge worth taking seriously though. He had balls, chin, heart, size, power and an awkward style that a lot of camps didn't like, and Tyson's was no exception. I don't see this as an easy match for Mike by any means, but I am confident that he'd win in one way or another.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Spoon was stopped by Smith when Tyson was hunting for the belts

If he beat boneclutcher Tyson would've fought him and he would've been KTFO
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
well he did

in 1985, Terrible Tim dominated Bonecrusher through 12

it was a terrible mismatch, I don't know what held Smith up

your argument is void
what argument is that?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Well bonecrusher flattened spoon before the unification fight with Tyson. Had spoon beaten crusher it'd have been a 50/50 affair.

Knowing what I know though I'm gonna say mike knocks him out early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
what argument is that?
your comment just doesn't make any sense to me, the logic is flawed

when you say ''had Spoon beaten Smith, it would have been a 50/50 affair. Knowing what I know though I'm gonna say mike knocks him out early'', you totally disregard the fact that Spoon dominated Smith once in 1985 and that without the upset loss in the second half of 1986 (let's say Spoon fights Tyson after Bruno), Spoon would have been coming into the Tyson fight with 7 consecutive wins, one of which being over Smith, your own criteria to call Tyson-Spoon a 50/50 affair
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
your comment just doesn't make any sense to me, the logic is flawed

when you say ''had Spoon beaten Smith, it would have been a 50/50 affair. Knowing what I know though I'm gonna say mike knocks him out early'', you totally disregard the fact that Spoon dominated Smith once in 1985 and that without the upset loss in the second half of 1986 (let's say Spoon fights Tyson after Bruno), Spoon would have been coming into the Tyson fight with 7 consecutive wins, one of which being over Smith, your own criteria to call Tyson-Spoon a 50/50 affair
I think you're missing my point so I'll try to reword it.

Had spoon not been knocked out by smith I think a unification fight with Tyson would have been seen as 50/50.

however that didn't happen. He did get knocked out by smith and consequently I think Tyson knocks spoon out.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I think you're missing my point so I'll try to reword it.

Had spoon not been knocked out by smith I think a unification fight with Tyson would have been seen as 50/50.

however that didn't happen. He did get knocked out by smith and consequently I think Tyson knocks spoon out.
it sounds like you went from your own opinion on the fight to the general public perception, and back to your own opinion again



as for the KO loss, it is the result of the dumb WBA 3 KD rule, Spoon never looked like he could not possibly survive, who knows what would have happened without the rule (keeping in mind Spoon had already dominated Smith and how you can turn back the tide like Marquez did after a disastrous 1st round)
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,831
vCash: 0
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangria View Post
Yeah I think Spoon keeps it tough for a few rounds like Pinklon Thomas did.
The under/over for Thomas/Tyson was I believe the fourth; an unproven rumour is Tyson could of had him out of there in the second, but carried him to the sixth...
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
it sounds like you went from your own opinion on the fight to the general public perception, and back to your own opinion again



as for the KO loss, it is the result of the dumb WBA 3 KD rule, Spoon never looked like he could not possibly survive, who knows what would have happened without the rule (keeping in mind Spoon had already dominated Smith and how you can turn back the tide like Marquez did after a disastrous 1st round)
Yes thats exactly what I've done.

I think it would have been seen as 50/50 but with hindsight I pick Tyson by ko.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
The under/over for Thomas/Tyson was I believe the fourth; an unproven rumour is Tyson could of had him out of there in the second, but carried him to the sixth...
There's also at least one internet postor who reckons that Thomas let Tyson win in the sixth for similar reasons.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
First half of '86, Tim wins.
Second half of '86, Mike wins.
Witherspoon who fought Tubbs VERSUS Tyson who fought Tillis
= Witherspoon WINS


Witherspoon who fought Smith VERSUS Tyson who fought Berbick
= Tyson WINS
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,431
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
Spoon was stopped by Smith when Tyson was hunting for the belts

If he beat boneclutcher Tyson would've fought him and he would've been KTFO

I can't use witherspoon's loss to Smith a gauge for much of anything. That fight reeked of a dive and the more I read or hear about it, the more I'm inclined to believing such. Furthermore, I don't buy into the concept that if fighter A beats fighter B and B goes onto beating C, then A most definitely beat C as well. Boxing doesn't work that way. In either case, I agree that Tyson should be favored over Witherspoon, but not for the same reasons you're going by.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #27
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Yeah, Witherspoon was seriously distracted going in to the Smith fight. He didn't want to win that fight at all.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
The under/over for Thomas/Tyson was I believe the fourth; an unproven rumour is Tyson could of had him out of there in the second, but carried him to the sixth...
I've heard this too. I also heard that someone supposedly shouted from ringside, "Wait for the 6th round, Mike!"
Sangria is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #29
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

Tyson
The Long Count is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
heizenberg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson vs Tim Witherspoon 1986

I think a motivated Witherspoon could potentially give Tyson a very good fight. But it also wouldn't surprise me to see Tyson being able to get to him and take him out likely in the middle rounds. I think the most likely outcomes would be either Tyson by UD or Tyson by a TKO/KO 4-8.
heizenberg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013