Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default The Berto/Guerrero referee last night

I'm watching the 9th round of Berto/Guerrero right now, and it made me think about the holding. Referees don't often get mentioned but I thought he did a good job allowing Guerrero to work on the inside when Berto was initiating clinches. Sometimes, referees jump in whenever a clinch is initiated and that allows an unfair advantage to the fighter who doesn't want to, or is incapable of, fighting on the inside. If one fighter is going to hold, the referee shouldn't immediately jump in to break them up.

Holding is cheating and should be punished by point deductions. At the very least though, referees should not openly favour one fighter by allowing them to clinch whenever they want, and then refuse to let their opponent work on the inside.
Jack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 218
Default Re: The Berto/Guerrero referee last night

Yea I'm with you. Berto was trying to bear hug anytime he was uncomfortable inside. So many fighters use this illegal tactic. What Guererro did was correct, if one hand is left free you are suppose to try and fight out. Which is what Guererro did.

Kellerman was terribly biased again last night as usual. Made me cringe when he was saying the first knockdown Guererro was holding and hitting. It was clear as day Berto initiated a clinch while hurt and Guererro was able to overpower and work free of the Berto bear hug.

I mean what is this shit?
renyo is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm watching the 9th round of Berto/Guerrero right now, and it made me think about the holding. Referees don't often get mentioned but I thought he did a good job allowing Guerrero to work on the inside when Berto was initiating clinches. Sometimes, referees jump in whenever a clinch is initiated and that allows an unfair advantage to the fighter who doesn't want to, or is incapable of, fighting on the inside. If one fighter is going to hold, the referee shouldn't immediately jump in to break them up.

Holding is cheating and should be punished by point deductions. At the very least though, referees should not openly favour one fighter by allowing them to clinch whenever they want, and then refuse to let their opponent work on the inside.
good job and that ref should never be put in the same sentence . . . he had zero control and turn what should have been a great fight into a farce
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Mares is probably eyeing the referee for his next fight.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
good job and that ref should never be put in the same sentence . . . he had zero control and turn what should have been a great fight into a farce
Wrong in so many ways. A referee is not their to control the fight. He is their to keep it fair. Berto initiated most cinches while Guererro correctly worked out.
renyo is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyo View Post
Yea I'm with you. Berto was trying to bear hug anytime he was uncomfortable inside. So many fighters use this illegal tactic. What Guererro did was correct, if one hand is left free you are suppose to try and fight out. Which is what Guererro did.

Kellerman was terribly biased again last night as usual. Made me cringe when he was saying the first knockdown Guererro was holding and hitting. It was clear as day Berto initiated a clinch while hurt and Guererro was able to overpower and work free of the Berto bear hug.

I mean what is this shit?

No, what he was referring to was when the Ghost was holding behind the head and let him like 5 times to knock him down the first time and similarly the second time. Then Berto started to use rough house tactics and he starts to warn Berto . . . the ref was a joke. i do not blame Guerrero for fight rough, is smart to take advantage of what the ref gives you.
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

The ref was terrible the problem was he was inconsistant from round to tround.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wrong in so many ways. A referee is not their to control the fight. He is their to keep it fair. Berto initiated most cinches while Guererro correctly worked out.
What? so the ref is not there to ensure the rules are followed? Man go back to MMA or something. SO in your world if a fighter tampers with his gloves the ref is only there to make sure that the other guy can as well?
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
illwill007
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

That was the worst ref barring Russell Mora.
illwill007 is online now  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No, what he was referring to was when the Ghost was holding behind the head and let him like 5 times to knock him down the first time and similarly the second time. Then Berto started to use rough house tactics and he starts to warn Berto . . . the ref was a joke. i do not blame Guerrero for fight rough, is smart to take advantage of what the ref gives you.
You need to rewatch right now. The camera shows Berti holding on that side then Camera switches angles to Guererro free hand where he cracked Berto repeatedly til her dropped. Berto is a natural grappler when anyone fights him inside. Guerrero was smart enough to know how to beat that tactic. It was very smart inside fighting by Guerrero.
renyo is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What? so the ref is not there to ensure the rules are followed? Man go back to MMA or something. SO in your world if a fighter tampers with his gloves the ref is only there to make sure that the other guy can as well?
Holding is illegal. The ref is legally not suppose to separate fighters unless both hands are tied up, the fighters are suppose to fight themselves free.

Guys like you dont know the rules, just spat bullshit they know nothing about. Learn the rules.
renyo is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

The ref was horrible. Guerrero took advantage of the situation perfectly though, at times he was abusing Berto on the inside.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
DocLouis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1431

Horrible reffing on both sides, and as someone already said, inconsistent from round to round.

Still a good fight, thanks to the real stars: the fighters.
DocLouis is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
You need to rewatch right now. The camera shows Berti holding on that side then Camera switches angles to Guererro free hand where he cracked Berto repeatedly til her dropped. Berto is a natural grappler when anyone fights him inside. Guerrero was smart enough to know how to beat that tactic. It was very smart inside fighting by Guerrero.
Oh shut up. The first knock down consisted of Guerrero holding one side of Berto's head with one hand while whacking it with the other. He was holding Berto's head to try and isolate it all fight. Robert even admitted to it when shown the vid of the first knockdown in the post-fight interview with Kellerman.

You come up with some wild stories. When will you ever learn?
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I did not say he wasn't holding. . . I said the ref sucked and you seem to agree with me. What I did say is that the Ghost grabbed him behind the head and hit him several times with the other. all infractions are not equal.
JASPER is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum