Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Name some effective yet unorthodox ways to punch? From effective fighters of the past

For example Hamed was effective and he used to throw a jab like a back fist, ive tried this myself and it produces a tonne of snap, but it has no structure behind it.

Can you name some other examples?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Name some effective yet unorthodox ways to punch? From effective fighters of the

harry greb apparently used to batter fighters with the side of his hand. not sure the effect but from what i've read, he was more concerned with angles and volume then putting beef into every punch so it may have been effective in those areas
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Name some effective yet unorthodox ways to punch? From effective fighters of the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
harry greb apparently used to batter fighters with the side of his hand. not sure the effect but from what i've read, he was more concerned with angles and volume then putting beef into every punch so it may have been effective in those areas
Interesting thanks mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
Interesting thanks mate!
welcome to the forum
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
welcome to the forum
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

triple shift...thought proven by pirog recently crshed jacobs with that walking over 1-2-2
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

i always loved that right hook that gavilan sometimes throws. where he does a full crossover to southpaw from orthodox while throwing a right hook. which he could then spin away over your left shoulder or throw a left and start jabbing away.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Razor Ruddocks ''smash'' half left hook/uppercut, it gave alot of fighters coming in trouble because of the angle, and because he came in open before he threw it they went to punch and then got hit. I think most effective against Tyson overall, but you can see the power in the Bonecrusher Smith fight.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
triple shift...thought proven by pirog recently crshed jacobs with that walking over 1-2-2
Nice thanks mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Razor Ruddocks ''smash'' half left hook/uppercut, it gave alot of fighters coming in trouble because of the angle, and because he came in open before he threw it they went to punch and then got hit. I think most effective against Tyson overall, but you can see the power in the Bonecrusher Smith fight.
Great Liver shot cheers mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
i always loved that right hook that gavilan sometimes throws. where he does a full crossover to southpaw from orthodox while throwing a right hook. which he could then spin away over your left shoulder or throw a left and start jabbing away.
Nice! I will check that out thanks again mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Frazier's left hook
De la Hoya's shovel hook
Fosters Brutal 1-2
James Toney hook and uppercut combo
Duran's figure 8 body shot head shot combination.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

I love how Greg Page often throws a lead straight right hand followed by a jab, but that second punch isn't really a jab anymore because of the sequence and position of his body after throwing the lead right. It's like a lead straight right followed by a straight left.

It is very unorthodox, powerful and it takes the opponent by surprise everytime.

He sometimes feinted the lead right to just throw a straight left too, varying his stuff a little bit.

Another one I like which James Toney is an adept at : he squares himself up a bit out of his right handed stance, leans to his own left side just to come back with an unexpected sweeping left hook.

He knocked out Nunn and Jason Robinson using that unorthodox move. They never saw it coming.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

pattersons gazel punch....which any boxing coach will say "dont do"
Johnstown is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum