Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis vs Charles (prime for prime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
In the real match, a prime Charles busted up an old Joe Louis. However Louis in his prime has a lot of zip on his punches. In a prime vs prime match, I think Louis would land one of his Sunday's best and end it.

I agree with you. Charles was a stand and trade type of fighter who used hand speed and countering ability to win. I respect Charles. He was a pound for pound tough son of gun. Charles fought the same stand and trade style vs Marciano.
Charles didn't have the same legs or reflexes against Rocky that he had in his prime. Watch his fight with Lloyd Marshall from his prime and you'll see his amazing boxing ability coming in and out of range while carrying out a great body attack and his jab and hand speed were better as well. Even his fight with Johnson when he is past his best you can see his boxing ability and sure Charles liked to mix it up but he wasn't a stand and trade fighter well as least I wouldn't classify him as one and I've seen a lot of his footage.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
Charles didn't have the same legs or reflexes against Rocky that he had in his prime. Watch his fight with Lloyd Marshall from his prime and you'll see his amazing boxing ability coming in and out of range while carrying out a great body attack and his jab and hand speed were better as well. Even his fight with Johnson when he is past his best you can see his boxing ability and sure Charles liked to mix it up but he wasn't a stand and trade fighter well as least I wouldn't classify him as one and I've seen a lot of his footage.
Would you classify Charles as a fighter who liked to mix it up, or as a smart boxer type who picked his shots, and waited for the right moment to attack? I pick the former. Charles was aggressive. He liked to slug, go toe to toe, and use his speed and skills to counter.

I did not say Charles could not use his legs, I just feel tactically he perfereed to mix it up.

One could say Charles was the 2nd best fighter Louis ever fought. Marciano was the best.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix
Joe said in his autobiography that there were so many openings available when he fought Charles, but he simply wasn't fast enough to catch him.

Prime versus prime, I'd give it to Louis.
Me too. Hey Hydraulix is that you in the picture? Your butt looks bitching!
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Would you classify Charles as a fighter who liked to mix it up, or as a smart boxer type who picked his shots, and waited for the right moment to attack? I pick the former. Charles was aggressive. He liked to slug, go toe to toe, and use his speed and skills to counter.

I did not say Charles could not use his legs, I just feel tactically he perfereed to mix it up.

One could say Charles was the 2nd best fighter Louis ever fought. Marciano was the best.

Charles did like to mix it up, he could fight from the outside and inside he had such a great arsenal but he also had good heavyweight power in either hand, speed, good legs and ring smarts. I dont know if Charles, Walcott or Schmeling was the 2nd best opponent Louis fought but Marciano was the best and Louis was at the tail end of his career if the fight was prime to prime the result MAY have been different and it MAY have not but here would have been a load of early fireworks
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

He could be both more so the latter just also a great finisher which may have contibuted to a slightly more aggressive style at his best. Charles is a smart fighter I doubt he would trade with Louis especially after he feel Joe's power I think he would chose to box and use his speed whether he'd be able to pull the win is another matter. The reason why I brought up his legs is because you mentioned the Rocky fight where he could not move like he did in his prime.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I agree with you. Charles was a stand and trade type of fighter who used hand speed and countering ability to win. I respect Charles. He was a pound for pound tough son of gun. Charles fought the same stand and trade style vs Marciano.
WRONG! Charles in his prime was a slick defensive counterpuncher who boxed on his toes....i dont know what your talking about. Watch film of charles vs Lloyd Marshall or Walcott I and get back to me
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Charles could give Louis fits, even be leading going into the later rounds, but Joe would catch up to him, and kayo him in the 11th round.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

I think Louis would have won but at the same time i mean Charles could have won it as well just depends on how they fight on the night all the circumstances
Theron is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #24
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Louis would have knocked him out, probably second half of a 15-rounder.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
frosty36
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Ezzard Charles was an amazing fighter, but prime for prime, I just cannot see him beating Joe Louis.

I'd pick Louis by late KO
frosty36 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Louis wins a come from behind stoppage.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #27
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
We all know has this played out in real life, but could Charles have beaten a prime Louis?

Charles would have been a tough opponent for the Louis of 1938 vintage. Nonetheless,Joe would have won. Charles would have been cute enough to avoid a knockout,in my opinion.

Louis by around 10 - 5 or 9 -6 in rounds.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Hang on to your hats, but i'd pick Louis to firmly out-box Charles...
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #29
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Hang on to your hats, but i'd pick Louis to firmly out-box Charles...
With or without a KO ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

You'd have to imagine a KO in that situation I think.
McGrain is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum