Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #46
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122
Default Re: Quigg is a level above Frampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
I have been very impressed with Kid Galahad and although he has more exposure being on terrestrial I hardly ever hear his name mentioned when the other two (and monroe) are spoken of.

Not sure why because I definitely think he is in the mix.

I would like to see him against Monroe perhaps that would give us a good idea.

His only real downside is power, but as Malignaggi has shown you don't necessarily need it to be a success in the modern game.
Galahad is starting to sit down on his shots a little more, especially when he switches downstairs. He's not completely featherfisted & punching power is a vastly overrated aspect of boxing imo.

He's been sparring with Burns recently which should be a good learning experience & is fighting TBA on 8th Dec, same bill as Degale. Its a shame he hasnt fought since May but will hopefully have a busy 2013.
DrMo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #47
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He is feather fisted and it will hold him back IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Galahad is starting to sit down on his shots a little more, especially when he switches downstairs. He's not completely featherfisted & punching power is a vastly overrated aspect of boxing imo.

He's been sparring with Burns recently which should be a good learning experience & is fighting TBA on 8th Dec, same bill as Degale. Its a shame he hasnt fought since May but will hopefully have a busy 2013.
I wondered where he's been lately, thought he may be on the Fury undercard but at least he is out before christmas and on terrestrial again.

Great sparring, can't be much better than Burns for a young upcoming fighter to learn against.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
L.J.KEYS.
C♯ Sharp or B♭ Flat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
He is feather fisted and it will hold him back IMO.
I agree mate, I don't really think hes got enough power to trouble Frampton or Quigg....decent fighter tho and will do well just don't think he'll cut it at the top.

Frampton beats Quigg aswell.
L.J.KEYS. is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

A boxer doesn't need to hit hard to be a world champion but it's very hard to get to that level whilst being completely feather fisted, like Galahad is. If he ever fought for a world title, there isn't a single operator up there who would respect his shots in any way. They'd simply walk through him. Quigg and Frampton aren't knockout artists but if you put them two in with world class opponents, they hit hard enough for the opponent to not be reckless. Galahad doesn't. Very, very few fighters become world champions with such a lack of power, and they rely on boxing ability which Galahad doesn't really have. I don't see him getting beyond European level, if that. His power is very lacking and he's not a good enough boxer to make up for it.

Going back to Quigg/Frampton, I'm really surprised people rate Frampton that highly. I just don't see it personally. The Molitor fight was a good win but he has mental issues and clearly didn't want to fight. I thought Frampton looked limited against Hirales too. To be honest, I've never been impressed with him and I'm not sure why he's rated so highly. He's alright but I don't sense any real potential there. I think Quigg is a better boxer and hits a lot harder. If they fought, I'd pick Quigg by a mid-late stoppage in a scare free fight.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I hate that line of thinking Rob.
Keeping guys apart?

In most cases yes. But I think these two guys could both get to world level and then you have a mega fight.

Look at Haze vs Enzo. When it was first talked about, it would have been a British title fight at the york hall, then a WBO title fight on a Calzaghe undercard.. Because it was held off, it ended up at with 18,000 at the 02 on Showtime for 3 belts.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #52
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
How is he 'light years ahead of him'?!? Less fights, even more woeful opposition.

He hits harder I'll give you that.
I am doing it based on what I see in the ring. Price actually has skill. Fury is a big guy who throws punches.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #53
REEVO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I've picked Quigg to win for a while now but I always thought it'd be close. I'm not so sure any more. I think Quigg would have a fairly easy night with Frampton.
You ok today Jack its not like you to be spouting ****... Has someone hacked Jacks account..
REEVO is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really don't get why when there's 2 good prospects in this country, you have to support 1 and call the other a bum/no hoper. What's wrong with hoping both do well? It happens with Price/Fury, Degale/Groves and these two and it's all pretty childish really.

Personally, I've always believed Frampton to have the edge although I was impressed by all aspects of Quigg's performance on Saturday. His movement, punch selection and defence were all better than they've been for a while. The two are well matched and as always I think whoever imposed their style best would win the fight. At the minute, I think Frampton has slightly more strings to his bow but it wouldn't surprise me if Quigg were to win should they fight. I think they're both more advanced than Galahad.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #55
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I am doing it based on what I see in the ring. Price actually has skill. Fury is a big guy who throws punches.
Shocking assessment and you know it.

As per your other post, I see where you're coming from mate
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #56
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Shocking assessment and you know it.

As per your other post, I see where you're coming from mate
Fury's technique is about as good as the milfs I see doing padwork while im on the treadmill at LA Fitness. He is shocking.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #57
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I really don't get why when there's 2 good prospects in this country, you have to support 1 and call the other a bum/no hoper. What's wrong with hoping both do well? It happens with Price/Fury, Degale/Groves and these two and it's all pretty childish really.

Personally, I've always believed Frampton to have the edge although I was impressed by all aspects of Quigg's performance on Saturday. His movement, punch selection and defence were all better than they've been for a while. The two are well matched and as always I think whoever imposed their style best would win the fight. At the minute, I think Frampton has slightly more strings to his bow but it wouldn't surprise me if Quigg were to win should they fight. I think they're both more advanced than Galahad.
Here here

Not every fight has a 'bad guy'.

I appreciate that we all have favourites, that is what being a fan is all about I suppose, but quite often fights involve two good boxers with individual merits.

To completely ignore one guys attributes just to big up the other is not necessary, I for one enjoy fights far more when I know both guys are really good and that it could go either way.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #58
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
To completely ignore one guys attributes just to big up the other is not necessary, I for one enjoy fights far more when I know both guys are really good and that it could go either way.
I agree. Competitive, quality matchups are surely why we watch boxing? What amuses me most is when fans of Boxer A slag Boxer B off beforehand unjustly and then the same people proclaim beating Boxer B is a great win postfight, all in the name of making their man look better. It's double standards.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #59
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I agree. Competitive, quality matchups are surely why we watch boxing? What amuses me most is when fans of Boxer A slag Boxer B off beforehand unjustly and then the same people proclaim beating Boxer B is a great win postfight, all in the name of making their man look better. It's double standards.
I just want good fights, usually I don't really care who wins as long its the one who deserves it most.

For me the sports best chance of surviving is for the best to meet the best.

In most other sports this is the way things work, the best ones compete against the best with no questions, there isn't even the chance to avoid each other.

We have to move away from this notion that it ruins careers.

As we know just about all the best have lost at some point and its about how people come back thats often more interesting.

The sport is on a little bit of a high a the moment but overall its still light years away from its peak.

IMO its crucial for the sports long term sucess that the best meet the best, and not when one of them already has another loss or when one is too old, when they are both young and undefeated
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #60
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I really don't think Quigg has a very good chin. If he's getting hurt by Arthur (I was impressed by the way he fought back)...and I dunno...he just looks like a guy that'd have a **** chin...to be blunt.

I think his skills are pretty remarkable for the lack of experience he had as an amateur, though. Whoever had him did a great job.

But I just see him getting put over against Frampton regardless of whether Carl is this super punch Barry makes him out to be. He's got enough in his locker to hurt you, certainly to hurt Quigg.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum