Froch's 98 80.99%
Both very similar 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton's Career v Froch's Career who wins?

Froch's resume is miles better.
Nipple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruthead View Post
It's close but I'd go with Ricky. Froch has never been #1 in his division. Ricky put up a good fight against Floyd who was P4P #1.
I have Ward at number 1 on my P4P list and most people have him in the top 3 and Froch went 12 rounds with him and actually had his two best rounds at the end of the fight. Hatton had a few decent moments early on against Mayweather but ultimately he got knocked out. I would put Ward and Mayweather on the same level as fighters.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richel Hersisia View Post
hatton ruled 140 just as much as cotto did at that time.
Hatton was the LINEAL champion.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Collazo was totally shot, I dont really think it rates as a decent win, it was an exhibition against a shot fighter with a bit of name value
you mean castillo? Ricky pretty much lost to Collazo
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think Hatton is pretty underrated generally but I'd have Froch ahead.

Hatton's tenure as 140lb champion wasn't that great, I'd reckon that Carl's stint as a titlist over a similar period edges Ricky.

Any of Froch's wins over the four year period, with the possible exception of Mack, are better than Maussa or Lazcano, though Hatton has the best individual win of the two.

As for defeats, Carl lost a fight that really he should have won, and another in which he was pretty much shut out from the first bell to the last, something that never really happened to Hatton. But equally Froch hasn't ever been executed in brutal fashion, and made to look like a complete turd in the process.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I think you can argue that Hatton was already half a notch past his physical best by the time of the Tszyu fight. Definitely so afterwards imo. He over achieved in a way but I think if maybe he'd had a better trainer - no disrespect to Billy - from very early on and hadn't allowed himself to be held back by He Who Must Not Be Named, we might have seen something better from him. Swarmers have a short shelf life and Ricky dicked about for too long fighting no marks and not improving in key areas.

His speed and dexterity of foot were both excellent, plus he had good hand speed, stamina, strength and a left to the body. In other words, some very good physical tools for a trainer to work with apart from the relative lack of reach, but he was badly underdeveloped in other areas for a fighter of his style - the telegraphed, sloppy punching with zero head/knee/upper body movement and the lack of refinement on the inside spring to mind. Add it to his lifestyle and the fact that he could be hurt, and there you have the glass ceiling.

Still, the win over Tszyu was a genuinely excellent one, if not quite in the uppermost tier of ATG British wins, and I've always found him more likeable than Froch even if he was slightly manipulative with it at times.

Froch is more of an over achiever than Hatton imo and deserves more respect in general for his overall career so far though. No way did I think in his early days that he could be matched this toughly and still go on to do what he has with essentially only a good chin, awkwardness, a heavyish but not top level punch and an iron will. The level of his opposition is typically blown out of proportion but still pretty bloody good all things considered and there's very little filler on his record from the time he started stepping up. He also still has the chance to maybe register another couple of solid wins that will elevate his standing a bit more.

Btw, what do people here rate as the better losing effort all things considered: Hatton against Mayweather or Froch against Ward?
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

As always Ribs.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Llanlad
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Damn you Ribs ..

That post has made me re-think the fact i feel Froch's praise lately has gone a little OTT.
Llanlad is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Froch does get a bit overpraised when all is said and done mate, I wouldn't disagree with that. I don't think any of his best wins - Bute, faded Abraham etc - are truly great ones or that any of his opponents as he faced them other than maybe Ward will go on to be remembered as great fighters. It's debateable as to whether Tszyu was a truly great fighter even in his prime or just a very good one, but even the faded version that lost to Hatton was probably better than anyone Froch has beaten.

But Carl has consistently taken on the best that today's game has to offer with no hesitation, cherry picking or ducking and he's come back from defeats brilliantly. Limited fighter, quite arrogant, but his constitution is absolute steel by this era's standards.

Edit: I might be being harsh on the Bute win, I don't know.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
ButeTheBeast
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hatton wobbled Mayweather.
Did Froch wobble Andre Ward?

Hatton's miles better.
Let's see if Froch goes up a weight like Ricky did to fight Cleverly?

Never seen Mayweather wobble like Ricky did to him in Round 1, Floyd was shocked.

While SOG spanked Froch live on national television.
ButeTheBeast is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Nah, I think Bute is rated about right.

He looked brilliant smacking around B/C level fighters and faded guys like Johnson, but relied on his personal referee to escape without a TKO12 loss to a very limited Andrade - Froch destroyed him in style.

Ward avoiding Bute won't do him any favours long term, though on the contrary you could argue that the ease at which Froch hammered Bute renders that pretty much meaningless.

Froch does get a little overrated by many, people think he's undentable and a murderous puncher, when he's neither, and that he's a bit of a caveman, when in fact he's pretty skilled in all honesty. Just quite slow.

As well as fighting almost anyone, he's got a very good record in those fights.

He fought 8 world class guys in a row, and has fought Magee and Mack, both slightly below world class.... and he's 8-2 in those fights.

Hatton didn't fight ten world class opponents in his entire career, full stop.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Magee is/was a step below world class at best imo and Mack is absolutely nowhere near even by today's shite standards. Magee was a solid enough opponent at the time considering where Froch was in his career, but I don't think it goes down as a particularly notable win.

Carl has rare gumption and deserves a lot of credit for fighting the string of fighters that he fought, and yes Hatton spent too much time pissing about fighting nobodies for the WBU bauble and skirting around Witter, but I think if you take a balanced view of the likes of faded Abraham, Johnson, Dirrell (who I thought Froch lost to) and compare them to ageing Tszyu, Malignaggi, Collazo (who Hatton struggled with), Urango etc, there isn't too much difference. It's not like Froch fought a string of great fighters other than maybe Ward, though that doesn't demean him in any way.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
ButeTheBeast
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hatton gave Mayweather a fight.

Froch didn't give Ward a fight.
ButeTheBeast is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
bruthead
REAL TALK
ESB Senior Member

People underrate Ricky's challenge of Floyd. At the end of the day Ricky was a 140lb fighter fighting a 147lb fighter.

When Haye was losing to Wlad he was happy to go the distance and lose. When Ricky was losing to Floyd he went all-out for the KO and got knocked-out. Ricky could have gone the distance if he'd taken a step back but he doesn't do that. That's why the fans love him.

I would have to say that Froch has 0% chance of beating Ward. In his prime Ricky had perhaps a 10% chance of beating Floyd.

That's why I have Ricky over Froch.
bruthead is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
Toontoon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruthead View Post
People underrate Ricky's challenge of Floyd. At the end of the day Ricky was a 140lb fighter fighting a 147lb fighter.

When Haye was losing to Wlad he was happy to go the distance and lose. When Ricky was losing to Floyd he went all-out for the KO and got knocked-out. Ricky could have gone the distance if he'd taken a step back but he doesn't do that. That's why the fans love him.

I would have to say that Froch has 0% chance of beating Ward. In his prime Ricky had perhaps a 10% chance of beating Floyd.

That's why I have Ricky over Froch.
Mayweather was a 140lb fighter fighting at 147lb too to be fair so it wasn't as if Hatton was stepping up and fighting the much bigger man, if anything he was fighting a smaller one.

I'd both give them the same chance of beating Ward and Mayweather, a punchers one as neither are skilled enough to systematically break them down or walk away with a points decision.

I vote Froch btw, not only does he have a better resume since hitting World level but he was the first man to hand legitimate defeats to Bute, Abraham, Pascal and Dirrell.

Hatton ruled a poor division mainly because the stand out opponents in there in Mayweather and Cotto moved up to 147, however the Tszyu win is better than anything Forch has.
Toontoon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum