Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #61
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: alex leapai. the southern hemespheres first heavyweight world champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIONHEART' View Post
Hey guys been a very long time since posting....but I can see everyone is well lol....Alex's next fight will be in China on the 21/12/12 not only his return but to get that confidence on his hand since his operation,he's in full flight learning new things with a new style of fighting & conditioning like their's no tomorrow.....the pass is the pass lessons were taken & learned from & we're back track.

I take my hat off to all fighters in all contact sports for stepping in the ring having a taste of it & I sure how take my hat off to my brother to be where he is today who did time @ Maximum prison & fought his biggest battle drugs & alcohol....to be where he is today 100% clean & sober & chasing a shot at the World Heavyweight title.

Next year will be a big year for team LIONHEART & will post up info when time comes but for now next months fight is priority no.1

My last post for a while,this is what you get when you have 3 kids & 1 on the way with the missus working nights .....so wishing you guys a early Merry X-Mas & a Happy New Year....stay safe during the holidays everyone & God Bless
Awesome to hear Alex is straight back and out into the international scene. Wish him the best for the Dec fight and for 2013.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #62
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400
Default Re: alex leapai. the southern hemespheres first heavyweight world champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster007 View Post
should be more optimism in the forum.

he has a punchers chance vs any heavy who doesn't possess superb boxing skills.

there r not too many who do fwiw. johnson was the worst possible choice for alex. everbody except alex's team could see that.

he goes into the ring to knock his opponents block off. prefer to watch him than a boring 12 rounds of jabbing and hugging tbh.
More like "Should be more realism in the forum".

Leapai looks like a nice guy with some decent power an all but I can't see him going further than 3 rounds still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
alex has mugged every world class fighter he has fought. he had no problems getting close to any of them. his last fight was 2 seconds from a win, so effectively did he get close to ol mate.

alex throws unusual punches. from under and over. he also hooks. he doesnt throw a lot of straight punches which puts most boxers rythum off. if youve boxed, you understand that you react to what is thrown or how your opponent is moving. you both understand what is coming and you dont even think of how to react or defend.

when you get a guy like alex, throwing bombs from under and over the top bowlo punches, its unusual, and confuses fighters enough to cover up and let alex get close. alex will get close to the klits where most fighters wouldnt. its his point of difference that makes him so dangerous and special. he also has the power to back his unusual assult style.

the klits will have seen nothing like him before. they would have seen hookers, and big right hands, and the occaisional uppercut. but they have never seen anything like the unusual combinations alex throws. if they duck it could be into an uppercut bomb. if they retreat it could be into an overhead bowlo punch.

alex only needs to land one to unleash a barrage of dangerous bombs. as ive said, his unusual style guarantees he will get in close. who yet has kept him at bay? they have all eaten his leather because of his unusual, effective style and power.

john ruiz was never looking like becoming a world champ. he kept getting beat when he stepped up. he had his knockers. but what happened. he learned by his losses and eventually won the title. alex is like john ruiz. he's learning and improving with each fight. he is stepping up in class at each outing. he takes his losses with his wins. but keeps stepping up.

he has confused all his opponents. the klits will be no different. alex will get to them. they cant run forever. remember, if you want to hit your opponent, you have to be close enough to do so. so the klits will have to stop and trade at some point. thats when the fun begins.

one bomb. one exchange. he's a punchers chance every day of the week. to say the klits could go through a fight with alex without getting hit at least once is bullshit. every fighter gets hit. its just that when alex hits you, its from unusual angles, and there is going to be more than one punch coming from an unusual angle.

the two most underused and explosive punches that can be thrown are uppercuts and bowlos, as there is little muscle holding the head down, as gravity provides that. so when a big shot comes from underneath, its devestating.

the overhead 'bowlo' punch is a skull punch. it puts massive preasure on the joint of the skull, and on the spine. it sloshes the brain like a washing maching. alex throws both punches constantly. no fighter ive ever seen does that. he also does it with massive power. its been quoted he "is the biggest puncher in boxing since tyson'.

a few more fights. a bit more fitness, then put him in with vlad. while it lasts it will be awesome. either way, you KNOW the fans are going to get their moneys worth...
Oh dear... this is just sad.
I'd also like to know who was quoted aside from yourself as saying "Alex has the biggest punch in boxing since Tyson"?

Last edited by Leftsmash; 11-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #63
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIONHEART' View Post
Hey guys been a very long time since posting....but I can see everyone is well lol....Alex's next fight will be in China on the 21/12/12 not only his return but to get that confidence on his hand since his operation,he's in full flight learning new things with a new style of fighting & conditioning like their's no tomorrow.....the pass is the pass lessons were taken & learned from & we're back track.

I take my hat off to all fighters in all contact sports for stepping in the ring having a taste of it & I sure how take my hat off to my brother to be where he is today who did time @ Maximum prison & fought his biggest battle drugs & alcohol....to be where he is today 100% clean & sober & chasing a shot at the World Heavyweight title.

Next year will be a big year for team LIONHEART & will post up info when time comes but for now next months fight is priority no.1

My last post for a while,this is what you get when you have 3 kids & 1 on the way with the missus working nights .....so wishing you guys a early Merry X-Mas & a Happy New Year....stay safe during the holidays everyone & God Bless
Right back at ya...GBless and All the Best in China
one in a million is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #64
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
The purist in me only recognizes lineal champions. The less titles the better.

Yes Lennox Lewis had all the best belts at the time and was the lineal champion. But Wlad was the reigning WBO titlist when Sanders KOed him, and Sanders subsequently became the WBO champion.
Actually Lewis didn't have all the belts at that point. The WBA had stripped him by then for not facing John Ruiz... Which takes me back to my original comment that its hard to recognise the WBO's lineage. Nobody and I mean nobody thinks Damiani, Morrison or Bentt were the world Heavyweight champion. Nobody thought Wladimir was at that time either.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #65
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
What about the duke isn't that who Micheal Bentt beat?
It is and IMO you can file him alongside Damiani and Bentt etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #66
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
It is and IMO you can file him alongside Damiani and Bentt etc.
I agree 100 percent.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #67
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Actually Lewis didn't have all the belts at that point. The WBA had stripped him by then for not facing John Ruiz... Which takes me back to my original comment that its hard to recognise the WBO's lineage. Nobody and I mean nobody thinks Damiani, Morrison or Bentt were the world Heavyweight champion. Nobody thought Wladimir was at that time either.
Whether we like it or not Corrie Sanders won a world title when he defeated Wlad, and that's what the OP was asking about. No mention was made by the OP of linear-only-champions.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #68
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Ok so where do we draw the line? Do we include IBO? WBF? IBC? IBA? WBB? Corrie Sanders IMO will go down as a solid contender but won't be recognised by most as a former Heavyweight champion. Gerrie Coetzee wasn't a linear champion, but he was a world champ. I don't recognise Sanders as that. Just my 2c. Just like I don't recognise Povetkin right now.

If the question was how many world champions has Great Britain had, I'd laugh if anyone included Herbie Hide, put it that way.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #69
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Ok so where do we draw the line? Do we include IBO? WBF? IBC? IBA? WBB? Corrie Sanders IMO will go down as a solid contender but won't be recognised by most as a former Heavyweight champion. Gerrie Coetzee wasn't a linear champion, but he was a world champ. I don't recognise Sanders as that. Just my 2c.

If the question was how many world champions has Great Britain had, I'd laugh if anyone suggested Herbie Hide, put it that way.
Nobody hates more than I do that there are so many orgs and each has so many belts within each weight division. The fact it comes down to individual opinion as to who are world champions and who aren't shows just how ****ed the sport is.

Funny you mention Herbie Hide. Your mate Totalpac was trying to talk up Damon Reed as world title challenger when he was a prospective de Mori opponent, by raising the Hide fight. The same one Reed didn't last a round in
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #70
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

He appears to be your mate more than mine, judging by your extensive conversations together.

It's fairly easy for knowledgable fans to work out who's the champion in each division, whether it be by lineage or another process. HBO and Showtime wouldnt even call the likes of Sanders as a world champion these days. They'd refer to him as a belt holder. They referred to Berto and Guerrero as "basically an eliminator" rather than an interim WBC title fight.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #71
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
He appears to be your mate more than mine, judging by your extensive conversations together.

It's fairly easy for knowledgable fans to work out who's the champion in each division, whether it be by lineage or another process. HBO and Showtime wouldnt even call the likes of Sanders as a world champion these days. They'd refer to him as a belt holder. They referred to Berto and Guerrero as "basically an eliminator" rather than an interim WBC title fight.
Totalpac speaks glowingly of you, and far less of me. Clearly your mate. Not mine

Nobody supports the 'we need less champions - preferably only one', argument more than I do.

But recognizing only one titleholder in each division is not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

Just one recent example >>>
Did you consider Manny Pacquiao's recent fights against Mosley, JMM and Bradley being for world titles? Most of the rest of the world did, and it was only a WBO title at stake.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #72
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't have a problem if they want to bill those bouts as a World title fight because you can make a strong case for Pacquiao being the best Welter in and around that time as for most of it Floyd was either inactive or at 154 with Cotto.

Did I see it as he was without a shadow of a doubt the best Welter on the planet? No. He'd have to fight Mayweather for that one. Obviously there are times you might not be able to work it out until two top fighters face each other. That's been the case throughout the history of boxing. Good to see the WBO have billed the next Pacquiao v Marquez belt as being for the "Champion of the Decade" belt. Guess they didn't want to miss out on a fee.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #73
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
I don't have a problem if they want to bill those bouts as a World title fight because you can make a strong case for Pacquiao being the best Welter in and around that time as for most of it Floyd was either inactive or at 154 with Cotto.

Did I see it as he was without a shadow of a doubt the best Welter on the planet? No. He'd have to fight Mayweather for that one. Obviously there are times you might not be able to work it out until two top fighters face each other. That's been the case throughout the history of boxing. Good to see the WBO have billed the next Pacquiao v Marquez belt as being for the "Champion of the Decade" belt. Guess they didn't want to miss out on a fee.
I agree with most of your thoughts regarding world titles

But unfortunately it's not the way most of the rest of the world sees things.

Whether you and I like it or not, many bouts are billed as, and believed by the vast majority to be for world titles. When in reality they are often not lineal, not for an in-demand title, nor even contested between anywhere near the best fighters at that weight.

The original question raised by Sally referred to 'world champion'. Not 'lineal' champion.

Did Corrie Sanders become a world titlist/champion when he KOed Wlad and won the WBO title? Ask 10 people and prepare to get 10 different answers
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #74
The Spider

vCash:

Just continuing >>>

Whom do you consider to be the current world heavyweight champion?

Wlad holds the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titles.

Vitali holds the WBC title.

Many, including I believe Ring magazine, have recognized Vitali as the lineal champion since he beat Corrie Sanders (there's that name again ).

So who is the current world heavyweight champion Ipswich Express??
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #75
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I agree with most of your thoughts regarding world titles

But unfortunately it's not the way most of the rest of the world sees things.

Whether you and I like it or not, many bouts are billed as, and believed by the vast majority to be for world titles. When in reality they are often not lineal, not for an in-demand title, nor even contested between anywhere near the best fighters at that weight.

The original question raised by Sally referred to 'world champion'. Not 'lineal' champion.

Did Corrie Sanders become a world titlist/champion when he KOed Wlad and won the WBO title? Ask 10 people and prepare to get 10 different answers
Like I said, where do you draw a line in the sand? I certainly don't recognise the WBO Heavyweight title lineage. You can make a much stronger case for it at Middleweight. If most of the world recognise it, that's fine. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If Corrie Sanders was calling himself world champion, I wouldn't be upset. I just don't recognise it.

Not even Corrie's immediate family would've considered him "the man" at Heavyweight while Lewis was there. I remember the fight well. the general reaction was a contender had been rolled by a fringe contender, not a passing of the torch. Incidentally he binned the title to fight Vitali.

As for asking 10 fans, I reckon you'd get 3 answers. Yes from the newer age fans who generally recognise the lot. Interim titles etc and probably don't follow the history of the sport as intently. A yeah he was a belt holder from those who kind of recognise the WBO and a no from the more die hard and older fans. Just my opinion.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum