Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #61
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Quigg is a level above Frampton

I like Quigg a lot, but 90% of this forum was writing him off after "struggling" with Munroe the first time round. Too many knee jerk reactions round here.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #62
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
A boxer doesn't need to hit hard to be a world champion but it's very hard to get to that level whilst being completely feather fisted, like Galahad is. If he ever fought for a world title, there isn't a single operator up there who would respect his shots in any way. They'd simply walk through him. Quigg and Frampton aren't knockout artists but if you put them two in with world class opponents, they hit hard enough for the opponent to not be reckless. Galahad doesn't. Very, very few fighters become world champions with such a lack of power, and they rely on boxing ability which Galahad doesn't really have. I don't see him getting beyond European level, if that. His power is very lacking and he's not a good enough boxer to make up for it.

Going back to Quigg/Frampton, I'm really surprised people rate Frampton that highly. I just don't see it personally. The Molitor fight was a good win but he has mental issues and clearly didn't want to fight. I thought Frampton looked limited against Hirales too. To be honest, I've never been impressed with him and I'm not sure why he's rated so highly. He's alright but I don't sense any real potential there. I think Quigg is a better boxer and hits a lot harder. If they fought, I'd pick Quigg by a mid-late stoppage in a scare free fight.
Hirales is better than anyone Quigg has beat IMO. Of the two he's the best fighter either has fought - on that particular night anyway. Munroe was a good name but we have to see what he's got left. He's been up and down his whole career but especially the last few outings, theres been no consistency to his game and reading his recent quotes he sounds like he's not in the game mentality, just as Molitor wasn't.

I was there for Frampton/Hirales and it wasn't exactly awe inspiring stuff but Hirales was pretty good. Basic, but good. The type of guy thats been in tough in sparring I suspect, had a very solid, hard demeanor about him so he was never going to fall over, it was a good learning fight.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I had a shit seat at the MEN but thought Quigg looked good throughout. It looked like Munroe was throwing these roundhouse, slowish looping right hand arm punches. The odd one got home, but it seemed like Quigg began to adjust and parry them easily.

The more retarded people around me seemed to think Munroe was building up a big lead but I had it level pegging and then Quigg beginining to take over with a solid, accurate jab. It was a very smart performance IMO, a welcome change from the reckless stuff we've seen since he joined Gallagher. He sussed him out, adjusted to him defensively, and began to pick him apart in good time. Thats what all good boxer punchers should be aiming to do.
TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #64
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I really don't get why when there's 2 good prospects in this country, you have to support 1 and call the other a bum/no hoper. What's wrong with hoping both do well? It happens with Price/Fury, Degale/Groves and these two and it's all pretty childish really.

Personally, I've always believed Frampton to have the edge although I was impressed by all aspects of Quigg's performance on Saturday. His movement, punch selection and defence were all better than they've been for a while. The two are well matched and as always I think whoever imposed their style best would win the fight. At the minute, I think Frampton has slightly more strings to his bow but it wouldn't surprise me if Quigg were to win should they fight. I think they're both more advanced than Galahad.
What country? Ireland??
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #65
REEVO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
I had a shit seat at the MEN but thought Quigg looked good throughout. It looked like Munroe was throwing these roundhouse, slowish looping right hand arm punches. The odd one got home, but it seemed like Quigg began to adjust and parry them easily.

The more retarded people around me seemed to think Munroe was building up a big lead but I had it level pegging and then Quigg beginining to take over with a solid, accurate jab. It was a very smart performance IMO, a welcome change from the reckless stuff we've seen since he joined Gallagher. He sussed him out, adjusted to him defensively, and began to pick him apart in good time. Thats what all good boxer punchers should be aiming to do.
Yeah iwas shocked by this i had Quigg up by the knockout... Boxed clever i thought Munroe was missing a hell of a lot would like to see the stats but Quigs punchs were landing flush munroes wasnt..
REEVO is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #66
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Hirales is better than anyone Quigg has beat IMO. Of the two he's the best fighter either has fought - on that particular night anyway.
I'm not sure about that, mate. I thought he looked alright but that was more down to Frampton being limited rather than Hirales offering much. The bout before he fought Frampton, he won a split decision against a guy with a losing record and the fight after, he lost a UD against a young Mexican. Of course, records don't define how good a fighter is, and maybe I am selling Hirales a bit short because of his poor record, but I don't see much of an argument to say he's better than Munroe, who was a worthy challenger for a world title not so long ago.

If Frampton beats Martinez, I think that'd be a good statement from him. I don't think it'll be easy though.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #67
sharpy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's funny because people are now saying munroe was on the slide when 4 months ago he was a big favorite on here going into the first fight. Also makes me laugh when they say Arthur had quigg hurt. Watch it back. After the knockdown quigg blocked every shot. He went down but was never "hurt" the way people make out. It can be argued he went down fairly easily but he was
Still in control from the second he got up.
sharpy is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #68
irishhitman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
It's funny because people are now saying munroe was on the slide when 4 months ago he was a big favorite on here going into the first fight. Also makes me laugh when they say Arthur had quigg hurt. Watch it back. After the knockdown quigg blocked every shot. He went down but was never "hurt" the way people make out. It can be argued he went down fairly easily but he was
Still in control from the second he got up.
hello joe hows things
irishhitman is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #69
sharpy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Typical comment from a man who's username begins with irish
sharpy is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #70
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm not sure about that, mate. I thought he looked alright but that was more down to Frampton being limited rather than Hirales offering much. The bout before he fought Frampton, he won a split decision against a guy with a losing record and the fight after, he lost a UD against a young Mexican. Of course, records don't define how good a fighter is, and maybe I am selling Hirales a bit short because of his poor record, but I don't see much of an argument to say he's better than Munroe, who was a worthy challenger for a world title not so long ago.

If Frampton beats Martinez, I think that'd be a good statement from him. I don't think it'll be easy though.
And Munroe was, of course, a much better win than Hirales? Is that your point?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #71
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
What country? Ireland??
Don't start that pish. It's been done a thousand times on here.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #72
sharpy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hirales was all straight lines and high guard he hardly threw a shot fair play that was partly down to frampton boxing well but he wasnt all that. Munroe was the same munroe he's always been very predictable it's hard to believe only the jap and quigg had the beating of him. Neither frampton nor quigg will be properly tested until they face a fighter with a winning record that can both give and take a shot and are also technically sound for me both would have the beating of Martinez and are ready for fringe world class operators
sharpy is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #73
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
Don't start that pish. It's been done a thousand times on here.

That's why I ignored him. If you've got a chip on your soldier and want to argue over all that, do it in the Lounge.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #74
sharpy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ha you mean shoulder
sharpy is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #75
JFT96
Belt holder