Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0
Default Re: Lionel rose overrated

Overrated...!?

Seriously!?

Rose was champion in one of the deeper bantamweight eras in the division's history. The fighter he defeated to win the bantamweight championship, Fighting Harada, was a long reigning bantamweight champ who had defeated the consensus number one bantam in history to win the crown. Harada typically ranks pretty high on all time lists, and Rose beat him. In Japan. That, alone, should be an indicator of how good he was.

He defended the title three times against top quality contenders before he ran into an all time great in Olivares. Two of those defenses were in his opponent's backyard. You weren't beating the likes of Harada, Sakarai, Rudkin, and Castillo in succession unless you were very, very good...especially if you weren't gifted with a devastating punch.

If anything, the guy is underrated when discussing great bantamweights.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Overrated...!?

Seriously!?

Rose was champion in one of the deeper bantamweight eras in the division's history. The fighter he defeated to win the bantamweight championship, Fighting Harada, was a long reigning bantamweight champ who had defeated the consensus number one bantam in history to win the crown. Harada typically ranks pretty high on all time lists, and Rose beat him. In Japan. That, alone, should be an indicator of how good he was.

He defended the title three times against top quality contenders before he ran into an all time great in Olivares. Two of those defenses were in his opponent's backyard. You weren't beating the likes of Harada, Sakarai, Rudkin, and Castillo in succession unless you were very, very good...especially if you weren't gifted with a devastating punch.

this.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
zoley
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Overrated...!?

Seriously!?

This.

End of discussion.
zoley is online now  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Really surprised to read this on the Aussie forum, but good to see it's started an interesting debate. His win over Harada was in my opinion, the greatest victory by an Australian boxer, ever. To understand how great a win it was, you have to understand just how great Masahiko Harada was.

He stopped Pone Kingpetch (25-3 at the time) for the Flyweight world title. Kingpetch got his revenge in the return. He finished his career as a 3 time world champion. Harada eventually beat the legendary Eder Jofre for the Bantamweight world title in 1965. Jofre was 47-0-3 at the time. He made defenses against Alan Rudkin (23-1), Jofre again, Joe Medel (who had previously beaten him - Rose beat him too in a non-title bout), and Bernardo Caraballo (51-1-2 at the time).

He was an absolute wrecking ball at the time Rose faced him. Make no mistake, Harada was one of the greatest Asian fighters of all time. I ranked him 94 on my list that I posted in here a few years ago.

Rose beat Harada and then made his first defence against the 1964 Olympic Gold Medalist Takao Sakuri, again in Japan! He then faced Medel at Super Bantam in a non-title bout before defending against Chucho Castillo (34-7) and Alan Rudkin (36-4). He ended up losing his title to a living legend in Ruben Olivares. By this point Lionel pretty much couldn't force his body down to Bantamweight.

That stretch of 1967-1969, beginning with Gattellari, ranks up there with any level of opposition ever faced by an Australian boxer. You also need to consider that this was arguably the strongest time in the history of the Bantamweight division.

Often overlooked when speaking of Rose's career was him losing a razor thin decision in Japan at Super Featherweight for the WBC title! Yoshiaki Numata himself was a 2 time world champion and he beat Rose by 2 points on all cards over 15 rounds.

I think you can actually make a much stronger argument for Rose being underrated, than overrated.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
Really surprised to read this on the Aussie forum, but good to see it's started an interesting debate. His win over Harada was in my opinion, the greatest victory by an Australian boxer, ever. To understand how great a win it was, you have to understand just how great Masahiko Harada was.

He stopped Pone Kingpetch (25-3 at the time) for the Flyweight world title. Kingpetch got his revenge in the return. He finished his career as a 3 time world champion. Harada eventually beat the legendary Eder Jofre for the Bantamweight world title in 1965. Jofre was 47-0-3 at the time. He made defenses against Alan Rudkin (23-1), Jofre again, Joe Medel (who had previously beaten him - Rose beat him too in a non-title bout), and Bernardo Caraballo (51-1-2 at the time).

He was an absolute wrecking ball at the time Rose faced him. Make no mistake, Harada was one of the greatest Asian fighters of all time. I ranked him 94 on my list that I posted in here a few years ago.

Rose beat Harada and then made his first defence against the 1964 Olympic Gold Medalist Takao Sakuri, again in Japan! He then faced Medel at Super Bantam in a non-title bout before defending against Chucho Castillo (34-7) and Alan Rudkin (36-4). He ended up losing his title to a living legend in Ruben Olivares. By this point Lionel pretty much couldn't force his body down to Bantamweight.

That stretch of 1967-1969, beginning with Gattellari, ranks up there with any level of opposition ever faced by an Australian boxer. You also need to consider that this was arguably the strongest time in the history of the Bantamweight division.

Often overlooked when speaking of Rose's career was him losing a razor thin decision in Japan at Super Featherweight for the WBC title! Yoshiaki Numata himself was a 2 time world champion and he beat Rose by 2 points on all cards over 15 rounds.
Good point. The fight against Numata was when Rose was starting to fade, and two divisions above his best weight, but it was a damned good performance against another guy who tends to be a little underrated in a historical sense.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Even though Olivares beat him Lionel still beat Castillo who beat Olivares.
Overrated ???
Underrated if anything.
old man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
The Spider

vCash:

Some excellent posts there. Thought I was on the Classic forum for a minute.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
fistsof steel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

One of the Great Bantamweights,end of story.!!!!
fistsof steel is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

aussie icon ! blokes like mundine, green and geale would of been inspired by his achievments and will never come close to his heroics
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie opinion View Post
aussie icon ! blokes like mundine, green and geale would of been inspired by his achievments and will never come close to his heroics
Agree 100%
old man is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Geale has the opportunity to. He's already been to Germany twice and has defended his crown a couple of times on home soil. If he can bag himself wins against the likes of Martinez etc, he'll be right up there.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #27
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Geale will, he's already done far more than most imagined.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #28
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post

I think you can actually make a much stronger argument for Rose being underrated, than overrated.
One of the best and most knowledgeable posts ever on the Aussie Forum

oztriker is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker View Post
One of the best and most knowledgeable posts ever on the Aussie Forum

Cheers, I'll slip you that $20 by PayPal
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #30
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think he is underrated by the majority of Australians

World wide he is probably underrated i'm guessing.
kel is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum