Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who takes it and WHY?
Jennings on points 13 46.43%
Jennings by stoppage 7 25.00%
Draw 3 10.71%
Hamer on points 4 14.29%
Hamer by stoppage 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000
Default Re: Bryant Jennings vs. Tor Hamer

They'll probably wind up trying to "feed" one or the other to Adamek, though. (cue robbery)
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Tale of the Tape

Tor Hamer
New York, NY
Height: 6' 2"
Reach: 80"
Weight: ~220-230
Stance: Orthodox

Bryant Jennings
Philadelphia, PA
Height: 6' 2"
Reach: 84"
Weight: ~220-230
Stance: Orthodox
I had no idea Jennings had an 84" reach. That's another huge plus for him.
I think he's still a little raw & sloppy, but he's been getting better & better with each fight, and he sure know how to bring the heat, when the time is right.

I don't know enough about Hammer to make a prediction, but I do expect Jennings to make it to the uppermost tier in the division, within 2 years. (Where he will get KO'd by Price, or Wilder, or whomever is in charge at the time.)
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
I had no idea Jennings had an 84" reach. That's another huge plus for him.
I think he's still a little raw & sloppy, but he's been getting better & better with each fight, and he sure know how to bring the heat, when the time is right.

I don't know enough about Hammer to make a prediction, but I do expect Jennings to make it to the uppermost tier in the division, within 2 years. (Where he will get KO'd by Price, or Wilder, or whomever is in charge at the time.)

Here is some of his recent work:
BORKED

...and the loss to Price:
BORKED

Kingpin has pretty long arms himself, at 82" (maybe even a bit more) - and he's customarily a better jabber than Jennings.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

I have watched his entire Prizefighter run and nearly nothing more. I have to say that I def do not rate him as highly as you do, IB, based on his accomplishments. I do think the skills are there though.

His top wins are in Prizefighter (albeit KJ is good) and against true journeyman Dominique Alexander, Galen Brown, and Demetrice King. A quick boxrec glance shows he's fought in only one scheduled 10 rounder. The longest he's gone is 8 rounds (UD over King), which is the only fight he's had scheduled for longer than 6.

Things I like about him are his head movement, feints, and intelligence (in that he seems to know where and when he wants to punch). And a seeming willingness to throw combinations when squared away with a slower opponent. His stamina is utterly unknown and a giant question mark.

I just honestly don't see how Hamer could be cited as a better fighter than Deontay Wilder, and I am far from a Wilder fan/believer. I would say that Johnathon Banks has proven to be a superior American HW than Hamer. He's no higher than 4th on my ranking of American HW's.

He will have had a monster HW year of 2012 if he wins decisively over upcoming solid opponent Glazkov, having gone 7-0 w/ the Prizefighter crown.

In terms of technically breaking down Jennings vs. Hamer, damn that's a tough one. Although I think Jennings has proven to be much better, I'd take Hamer stylistically. I think the head movement, speed, and willingness to throw straightaway hook-combinations would lead Hamer to a very close and debated decision result which he deserved to win.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Am I ban-worthy for being the first person to vote for Hamer?
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 254

ahh scratch that reach means something in terms of your jab and shit
Bobo is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

What you think of Malik Scott, IB?
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
What you think of Malik Scott, IB?
I think he's got some fancy moves but also a bad case of David Rodriguez syndrome.

Both of them seem like they're content to coast their way to 40-0 records and probably then retire and start in with "No blueprint! I never got my shot! I was avoided! I could've been a contend-ah! " without having ever actually put in the effort to become one by seeking top adversaries.

I mean, each is near that mark and their best conquests respectively are Tupou and a spent Beck. That's...not great.

Just slaves to the lash of the almighty goose egg.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I have watched his entire Prizefighter run and nearly nothing more. I have to say that I def do not rate him as highly as you do, IB, based on his accomplishments. I do think the skills are there though.

His top wins are in Prizefighter (albeit KJ is good) and against true journeyman Dominique Alexander, Galen Brown, and Demetrice King. A quick boxrec glance shows he's fought in only one scheduled 10 rounder. The longest he's gone is 8 rounds (UD over King), which is the only fight he's had scheduled for longer than 6.

Things I like about him are his head movement, feints, and intelligence (in that he seems to know where and when he wants to punch). And a seeming willingness to throw combinations when squared away with a slower opponent. His stamina is utterly unknown and a giant question mark.

I just honestly don't see how Hamer could be cited as a better fighter than Deontay Wilder, and I am far from a Wilder fan/believer. I would say that Johnathon Banks has proven to be a superior American HW than Hamer. He's no higher than 4th on my ranking of American HW's.

He will have had a monster HW year of 2012 if he wins decisively over upcoming solid opponent Glazkov, having gone 7-0 w/ the Prizefighter crown.

In terms of technically breaking down Jennings vs. Hamer, damn that's a tough one. Although I think Jennings has proven to be much better, I'd take Hamer stylistically. I think the head movement, speed, and willingness to throw straightaway hook-combinations would lead Hamer to a very close and debated decision result which he deserved to win.
Yeah, we're pretty much on the same page. Factoring in deeds on paper, it would be insane to rank him too highly. Bryant either, to a somewhat lesser extent, with only the two notable victories. In calling him and Jennings the best h2h, my intent was to highlight their skills (and how they'd fare against their peers based on those skills) as I perceive them from having watched the little they actually have accomplished.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
ahh scratch that reach means something in terms of your jab and shit
Even if he wasn't giving up 4", Tor Hamer wouldn't be defeating Bryant Jennings in a strict game of jabs.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Am I ban-worthy for being the first person to vote for Hamer?
Nah. Perfectly reasonable; in fact one of the draw votes is mine as it's kind of a pick'em when you look at their styles.

I think a lot of people are just automatically clicking Jennings' name because they've seen him on TV more.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #27
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Nah. Perfectly reasonable; in fact one of the draw votes is mine as it's kind of a pick'em when you look at their styles.

I think a lot of people are just automatically clicking Jennings' name because they've seen him on TV more.

...or so I must gather, since the # of votes far outweighs the critical analyses being put forth in here.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 254

Quote:
...or so I must gather, since the # of votes far outweighs the critical analyses being put forth in here.
bump this thread after both of their next fights and it'll be clearer
Bobo is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #29
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
bump this thread after both of their next fights and it'll be clearer
Yeah, that's true.

Jennings outdoing Scott with an earlier stoppage of Tupou and Hamer impressively dispatching Glazkov in any fashion will make this fantasy match even more lustrous.

It'll definitely be helpful to contrast and compare their performances and see what can be gleaned from them as far as pitting the two against each other.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Probably, but the simple fact is, Jennings is faster than Hammer. They are about equally skilled (or not skilled) and have roughly the same power, so I think speed wins the day.

- And actually, I think Jennings is the stronger puncher as well, though not by much.

It will be a very interesting fight.

Here's a thought: If Jennings KO's Hammer, he will certainly be seen as a top-10 contender. But, if Hammer somehow KO's Jennings, will he have reached any serious ranking at all?
Cableaddict is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum