Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #46
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Foreman struggling with Peralta leaves me unsatisfied

[quote=Bummy Davis;14291145]well we know he was known for staying the distance with Marciano, Jimmy Bivins and Archie Moore but he did have some decent wins He beat Billy Fox and drew, He slit 3 with a prime Bernie Reynolds W,L & D. and Reynalds beat Nathan Mann, Eddie Blunt and Cesar Brion about that time. He drew with the tough Eddie Blunt, Lee Oma and Lee Savold and he Beat 2x a UD and a KO over 6"3 Willie James who had KO'd Ingemar Johansons Olympic conqueror Undefeated Big Ed Sanders and James also beat Burt Whitehurst and Rex Layne and Willie Wilson and Tiger Ted KO'd the 6"3 James in 7

Ted claimed a lot of the decisions he lost were bogus and we know how that goes but I believe a lot of the fights could have been close because they brought him into lose...Peralta on the other hand was a big name in Argentina, and a big star and most of his fights were fought there and he was a star and a favorite in Argentina[/quote]

This is funny because the shoe was most firmly on the other foot.

Lowry had 10 draws,5 were in his adopted home state 1 was in his birth place. Lowry won 5 split decisions 4 of them were in his home state.
Lowry drew with a Savold who had lost 3 of his last 4 fights. he drew with Oma who had been booed out of the UK for tanking with the headlines
"Oma Coma Aroma".nb Oma later beat him.

Lowry fought 88 of his 148 fights in his adopted home state, in which he died 2 years ago ,he fought a further 8 in his birth place, thats 96 of 148 fights where he had home advantage. He fought outside the US just twice.
Contrast this with Peralta who fought outside his native land 44 times out of his 116 fights.
ALL Peralta's major fights,
except the return with Mina and the fights with fellow Argentinian's Perez and Bonavena[1]were outside his home land.
Peralta fought Foreman 2 - 0 in the US
Pastrano 2-0 in the US
Thornton 2-0 in the US
Lyle 1 in the US, 1 in Germany
Urtain in Spain
Zech in Germany.
Peralta was the" have gloves will travel" fighter.
Who Reynolds beat is irrelevant , its who Lowry beat that is germane to the argument.

The Fox he beat was conceding 7lbs to him,and was inside the LHVY limit in their draw.

Last edited by mcvey; 11-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Monday Night - February 16, 1970

George Foreman, the 213 lb. undefeated heavyweight, improved his
record to 16-0-0, but was unable to register his 15th Knockout.

Foreman was 'befuddled' by 34 year-old Argentinain veteran -
Gregrio Peralta. Though Foreman threw 3-times as many punches
as his opponent, he was unable to hurt Gregorio.

Peralta, at 197 lbs. was able to slip punches by bobbing and weaving,
and was able to avoid Foreman's big punches by sliding and moving
constantly.

Peralta cut Foreman over the right eye in Round 5, and the blood dripped
throughout the bout. Foreman was only able to rock the tough Argentinan
late in Round 5, and in many exchanges looked 'puzzled'.

Gregorio Peralta, had been unbeaten in his last 32-bouts dating back to
September 1965. The Argentinan, who usually enters the ring at 182 lbs.,
appeared to be slighty out-of-shape.

Scorecards;
* Mark Conn...........9-1-0
* Jack Gibbons........7-3-0
* Tony Castellano....5-4-1

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 11-28-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #48
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=mcvey;14291683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
well we know he was known for staying the distance with Marciano, Jimmy Bivins and Archie Moore but he did have some decent wins He beat Billy Fox and drew, He slit 3 with a prime Bernie Reynolds W,L & D. and Reynalds beat Nathan Mann, Eddie Blunt and Cesar Brion about that time. He drew with the tough Eddie Blunt, Lee Oma and Lee Savold and he Beat 2x a UD and a KO over 6"3 Willie James who had KO'd Ingemar Johansons Olympic conqueror Undefeated Big Ed Sanders and James also beat Burt Whitehurst and Rex Layne and Willie Wilson and Tiger Ted KO'd the 6"3 James in 7

Ted claimed a lot of the decisions he lost were bogus and we know how that goes but I believe a lot of the fights could have been close because they brought him into lose...Peralta on the other hand was a big name in Argentina, and a big star and most of his fights were fought there and he was a star and a favorite in Argentina[/quote]

This is funny because the shoe was most firmly on the other foot.

Lowry had 10 draws,5 were in his adopted home state 1 was in his birth place. Lowry won 5 split decisions 4 of them were in his home state.
Lowry drew with a Savold who had lost 3 of his last 4 fights. he drew with Oma who had been booed out of the UK for tanking with the headlines

Lowry fought 88 of his 148 fights in his adopted home state, in which he died 2 years ago ,he fought a further 8 in his birth place, thats 96 of 148 fights where he had home advantage. He fought outside the US just twice.
Contrast this with Peralta who fought outside his native land 44 times out of his 116 fights.
ALL Peralta's major fights,
except the return with Mina and the fights with fellow Argentinian's Perez and Bonavena[1]were outside his home land.
Peralta fought Foreman 2 - 0 in the US
Pastrano 2-0 in the US
Thornton 2-0 in the US
Lyle 1 in the US, 1 in Germany
Urtain in Spain
Zech in Germany.
Peralta was the" have gloves will travel" fighter.
Who Reynolds beat is irrelevant , its who Lowry beat that is germane to the argument.

The Fox he beat was conceding 7lbs to him,and was inside the LHVY limit in their draw.
Well, some fighters are brought in to lose and my point is Peralta was a big name in Argentina and he came in as a contender, while Ted Lowry was the opponent..I know people that saw both Marciano fights and said Rocky won both clearly but others say the first fight was close and so were many of Teds other losses...Peralta had a name in the US as a light heavyweight contender and had some good heavyweight wins...Ted beat and drew with some good fighters that were in the primes of there careers and was always unheralded even in his home town
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #49
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Foreman was a god, he fought in the best era of heavyweight history and beat all the greats except the greatest of all time Ali. Foreman never had a prime, he fought Ali when he was still a child, then retired a few years later.

Foreman is top 5 atg or better.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #50
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=Bummy Davis;14291850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

Well, some fighters are brought in to lose and my point is Peralta was a big name in Argentina and he came in as a contender, while Ted Lowry was the opponent..I know people that saw both Marciano fights and said Rocky won both clearly but others say the first fight was close and so were many of Teds other losses...Peralta had a name in the US as a light heavyweight contender and had some good heavyweight wins...Ted beat and drew with some good fighters that were in the primes of there careers and was always unheralded even in his home town
Many of his wins were close too.
As for being unheralded in his home town, that's strange because he fought 96 of his 148 fights in his home state.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #51
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=Bummy Davis;14291850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

Blunt had won 1 of his last 6 fights when he drew with Lowry, in Lowry's home town.
Blunt won only 36 of his 63 fights, but he has better names on his win ledger than Lowry.
Ted Lowry = Scrap Iron Johnson.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Not to be forgotten,

Gregorio 'Goyo' Peralta had exactly '1-bout' in 14-months prior to his bout
with George Foreman.

What was on the line.

If Gregorio Peralta defeated George Foreman, he would get the winner of the
Joe Frazier vs. Jimmy Ellis bout - in June 1970 at Madison Square Garden.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #53
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

Foreman wasnt prime when he fought Peralta! He was young. Foreman fought Peralta in 1970,didnt win the title for a few years when he hit his stride.
And Foreman fought Peralta twice. The second time,Foreman KO'd Peralta in 10.
Peralta was experienced veteran and he gave Foreman rounds. Giving someone rounds and a tough fight = Foreman struggled? No.

The first fight was a learning curve and Foreman was not yet prime. The second fight which was a year later,Foreman KO'd Peralta in 10 rounds. And the second fight was still years before Foreman would beat Frazier.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #54
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Quote mcvey

Savold won 4 of his next 5 after drawing with Tiger Ted and KO'd Gino Buonvino and Bruce Wood**** avenging a DQ loss

I am not saying Ted was a top contender ever but he was always competitive for the most part and fought the some great fighters and some very good fighters and pulled out a few good wins for an opponent type fighter
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum