Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: why are we not producing any solid 140lb & 147lb fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan_87 View Post
in british boxing at the moment, we seem to be producing a lot low and high weight fighters, but not enough light welters and welters. we got the bantamweights, we got the flyweights, we got the super middles, middles, and heavyweights, but not enough welters and light welters. we need a few coming through who can provide a solid test for the likes of broner, rios, matthysse, bradley, etc. we have kell brook and (although not sure about him) amir khan, but we need more.

why do you think this is?
To be honest i think this is random garbage!

When as a nation have we produced "solid" fighters in every single weight class? it simply will not happen .....

Brook is the nations hope for the WW's, Ricky Burns may one day fight @140, i imagine he'd apply himself pretty well there, domestically the 147 lb weight class has produced some pretty good fights and fighters, not world beaters but solid guys, i imagine Gavin will be in a couple of good fights this year too
thewinfella is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Logan_87
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

but 140 and 147 are the main money divisions, where the 2 best fighters are. that's why we need a couple of prospects to start coming through in the next year or two. it would be great to have a world champion who is a real challenge at 140 or 147. lets be honest, khan is not the kind of fighter who will pose a threat to many fighters out there, unless they are featherfisted and won't hurt him. brook looks good, but is yet to establish himself. i hope he can do it against alexander, that would be awesome.
Logan_87 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan_87 View Post
but 140 and 147 are the main money divisions, where the 2 best fighters are. that's why we need a couple of prospects to start coming through in the next year or two. it would be great to have a world champion who is a real challenge at 140 or 147. lets be honest, khan is not the kind of fighter who will pose a threat to many fighters out there, unless they are featherfisted and won't hurt him. brook looks good, but is yet to establish himself. i hope he can do it against alexander, that would be awesome.
Brook is in a good position to be a player at 147, he's got his hands full against Alexander though, its a big test, for somebody who is virtually un tested at that level, because Carson Jones is shite, lets not pull any punches there!

The excuse for that performance was lack of top class prep! its viable, naive or not you have to listen to a man when he says, "my preparation was amateur like" but never the less Carson is B level, Alexander is an accomplished top class amateur who's had ups and downs as a top pro, but he's a world champion, and has fought much much tougher guys than Brook

Its a big ask for Brook and we'll get the answers on the night
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
AudleysBigRight
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
It's emabarassing. Quigg Frampton is another. Price Fury is another.
Why do people always insist on throwing our prospects in with each other before they are anywhere near world level? Leave them until they are for world titles.

The middleweights, however, do need to fight each other. Seems like Murray and Barker want the fights to happen but Macklin, in a typically "I think I am a world beater" way, has decided that the fights are below him.
AudleysBigRight is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudleysBigRight View Post
Why do people always insist on throwing our prospects in with each other before they are anywhere near world level? Leave them until they are for world titles.

The middleweights, however, do need to fight each other. Seems like Murray and Barker want the fights to happen but Macklin, in a typically "I think I am a world beater" way, has decided that the fights are below him.
Why leave it until world level when they might not even legitimately hit that level!

It's about levels and a present Quigg-Frampton, Price-Fury etc are on the same level.

The only reason you wouldn't match them up is because one might lose but boxing fans need to get over the dreaded L.

History shows that many of our fighters who have suffered tough early losses have grown from the loss i.e. Haye and Khan, even DeGale.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Khan and Brook could both be world champions this time next year. If those 2 weren't about, I'd agree with the OP point ....however, they are about
BretN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum