Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Prime Joe Calzagge VS Prime Roy Jones Jr. Who wins and how?

So remember folks Calzagge has an extremely hard punch, he almost took out Christ Eubank with it, and Eubank has one of the best p4p chins out there able to hang with cruiser weights as a natural middleweight.

Most people think of Calzagge as a high volume slappy punch and he is he had to adopt this style because his power was too much for his hands and he kept breaking his hands, but for this match up his hand are not yet broken to pieces and he can fire his heaviest shots.

Also remember he is a southpaw with a hard straight like like Antonio Tarver.

We know a faded Jones couldnt get his right cross lead off on calzagge and his lead hooks and jab were in effective also.

Calzagge has a good chin, and comes back hard when ever rocked, always has good cardio so this means he dosnt get rocked for long and is hard to riock in the 1st place.

He would be the fastest guy Roy has ever faced.

He has a huge volume of punches, and huge cardio, more so than roy. He dosnt fade in the later rounds like roy does.

He is an awkward southpaw.

He beat a past prime Roy easily although he was a simalr age himself abiet in better condition.

Also Joe has never taken sterods and Roy has, a prime roy is not allowed to use steroids!!! So hes not as invincible as usual.

So yea I dont necessarily think Joe would win, I just wanted to stress his good points because its usually a blow out overwhelming vote in Roy Jones Jrs favor.

Hf

Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-29-2012 at 04:47 AM.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Prime Joe Calzagge VS Prime Roy Jones Jr. Who wins and how?

Roy´s faster, as big, more powerful. Calzaghe would push him, his high-volume output together with speed would trouble Jones. Calzaghe would be able to get Jones on the ropes and then unload regularly. But this won´t be enough. Prime Jones had the reflexes, and defence to avoid most punches and getting caught on the ropes too often. Prime Jones also was a far better ring general than Calzaghe with quite a bit faster feet. He would avoid him more often than not. A badly faded, shot Jones was able to time Calzaghe coming in and put him down. A prime Jones would land that shot more often than once.
Calzaghe was very good, the greatest 168 pounder IMO. but Jones was the better 168 pounder and it would show in this fight. Calzaghe would push him harder than anyone else during Roy´s prime but he would solve him and win a clear decision, maybe even a stoppage towards the end.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Roy has to be favored pretty big. Still, Calzaghe's quick feet combined with his knack for adapting might see him come in and land on Roy when he's off-balance. Roy might not have the greatest chin or work-rate at this light weight, but I think he can take it.

Calzaghe has a shot if he can back Roy to the ropes consistently. He has the rythm, quickness, versatility and offense to do this, but...in the Hopkins fight, he took a lot of lead right hands before he learned to deal with them. That might prove fatal against Jones.

Roy by comfortable UD.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

How confident would Joe have been?

Joe Calzaghe 2002 "I think I could give Roy Jones a tough fight, maybe the toughest fight he's had, but I KNOW WHAT MY CAPABILITIES ARE, and I'd want the crown jewels."

Joe was a great fighter, but he was always relatively easy to hit, and could be drawn into a macho tear up in the middle of the ring.

Roy would find his chin easily.

Realistically, how does a guy that struggled with Reid and Kessler, beat A 25/26 year old version of Roy Jones?

In my honest opinion, it would be a mid to late TKO win for Roy.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Several rounds of right crosses to the jaw, and Calzaghe is out. Not even competitive.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Jones by mid rounds stoppage but semi competitive. If Calzaghe keeps pressing forward with little head movement he's getting tagged clean time and again, he probably hits Jones more than most himself but ultimately pays the price for it
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
How confident would Joe have been?

Joe Calzaghe 2002 "I think I could give Roy Jones a tough fight, maybe the toughest fight he's had, but I KNOW WHAT MY CAPABILITIES ARE, and I'd want the crown jewels."

How's it going mate? I've lost track of the amount of times you've posted that quote now!

As for Jones-Calzaghe

I think Jones starts fast and sweeps the early rounds. As Joe keeps pressing, he will land shots and drive Jones back into the ropes. I think Calzaghe finishes stronger due to his stamina, but ultimately he takes a lot of punishment in the process. Gruelling fight for both, I pick Jones by 8-4 type decision
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post

How's it going mate? I've lost track of the amount of times you've posted that quote now!

As for Jones-Calzaghe

I think Jones starts fast and sweeps the early rounds. As Joe keeps pressing, he will land shots and drive Jones back into the ropes. I think Calzaghe finishes stronger due to his stamina, but ultimately he takes a lot of punishment in the process. Gruelling fight for both, I pick Jones by 8-4 type decision
Hi pal,

Haha! I'm going to keep posting it! Ha!

That tells me what state of mind he'd have been in had they fought.

It would have played a huge part in my opinion.

I can't see how it would be gruelling.

A fight in 2002, would have been close.

But if you had a time machine, and you had the Toney/Paz version of Roy at 25/26, I think it would have been an easy win for him.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Hi pal,

Haha! I'm going to keep posting it! Ha!

That tells me what state of mind he'd have been in had they fought.

It would have played a huge part in my opinion.

I can't see how it would be gruelling.

A fight in 2002, would have been close.

But if you had a time machine, and you had the Toney/Paz version of Roy at 25/26, I think it would have been an easy win for him.

Regards, Loudon.

Fair play

I think you're underestimating Joe somewhat, he was extremely tough and durable - certainly as tough as Hopkins who Roy landed good shots on but couldn't stop in 93, I struggle to see Joe getting stopped. He also had an excellent ring IQ, and Roy didn't fight 3 minutes of every round - I think around the 6th onwards he'll be feeling the pace Joe has set, and I think Joe will win rounds in the second half of the fight. But Jones will start fast and build a lead, while Joe will finish stronger, Roy will take the decision.

Also I doubt that quote would have affected his performance, he had cold feet against Lacy yet went in and put on a career best performance
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I think Roy wins a decision. Joe is underrated. He was a great fighter and had great handspeed. The thing which would be the deciding factor is Roy had even greater handspeed.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Fair play

I think you're underestimating Joe somewhat, he was extremely tough and durable - certainly as tough as Hopkins who Roy landed good shots on but couldn't stop in 93, I struggle to see Joe getting stopped. He also had an excellent ring IQ, and Roy didn't fight 3 minutes of every round - I think around the 6th onwards he'll be feeling the pace Joe has set, and I think Joe will win rounds in the second half of the fight. But Jones will start fast and build a lead, while Joe will finish stronger, Roy will take the decision.

Also I doubt that quote would have affected his performance, he had cold feet against Lacy yet went in and put on a career best performance
I respect your opinion mate, but as the old saying goes, styles make fights.

Roy wasn't peak against Hop, and he had a badly injured hand.

I don't think Roy would ever have stopped Hop, but I don't think he'd have ever tried to either.

Joe, despite being great, was always easy to hit.

I don't think Joe's defense would have been good enough to stop Roy.

If he had cold feet against Lacy, what would of happened when he was facing Roy at 25?

You can't say, he went out and put in a great performance against Lacy. Roy at his peak was on a different planet to Jeff Lacy.

I think Joe's mental approach would have made a huge impact on the outcome.

You're opinion is, that Joe would press him hard and take over the second half of the fight. I respect that.

But my opinion is, he'd have been that cautious about Roy's offence, it would have made him sit back and it would have negated his own.

I don't think Roy would have knocked him out. But I think he'd have dropped him more than once, and eventually the fight would have been stopped.

Regards, Loudon.

Last edited by Loudon; 11-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I also think at light-heavyweight it goes even more in Jones' favor. His stamina and ability to absorb punishment should be better.
Shake is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum