Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887
Default Re: Roach "Strength trainers are bulls**t"

To be honest, I think there is too much emphasis on physical strength in our sport.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

It's true. Dempsey didnt have a strength trainer. Why are injuries up in every sport?
Bullshit trainers like strength trainers. If you stick to old school training,you wont get hurt as often.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post
It's true. Dempsey didnt have a strength trainer. Why are injuries up in every sport?
Bullshit trainers like strength trainers. If you stick to old school training,you wont get hurt as often.
I dont agree. I understand you reference to the past but as science has advanced so have athletes. Its non refutable evidence. You think athletes of the past could compete with athletes of today, I dont. Yeah there are exceptions (SRR, Marciano, SRL) could have competed in any era, but I doubt the best young fighters of today are just doing push ups, sit ups and roadwork..

Last edited by Don't Sleep; 11-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Didn't Roach say that Pac looked better than ever for the third Marquez fight??

And we know what happened then ... Marquez gonna finish Pac's career this time
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
sandwedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellamomarcos View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Some really good stuff from Freddie in this interivew. First off he says Pacquiao has knocked down sparring partners 4 times in camp so far. He also says that he is not doing any of Ariza's strength & conditioning program and that Ariza just stretches him. He then goes off and says that all strength trainers are bullcrap and that boxing would not have a drug problem if they all left the sport.
I agree with him.
Their importance is overstated by themselves.
Ariza is a self-important clown.
sandwedge is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
RBCa
Future G.O.A.T.

Lol, ignorance at it's finest. Roach is like a religious fundamentalist. Holding on to the past, while choosing to ignore blatant fact. Also, proven that not ejaculating for more than 6 weeks at a time lowers your testosterone significantly, yet how many boxers believe this wives tale, to this day? Strength trainers are not the problem, it's bad strength trainers and ignorant people like Roach that are the problem. Stick to teaching boxing, and not sport fitness.
RBCa is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
CHEF
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
So basically they are not using Ariza for S&C. Seems like Ariza almost wants Pac to fail to prove it was his S&C that made the difference, because if he performs well in this fight with the absence of S&C, Ariza is out of the job.

I believe in sports science, yea Roach knows his boxing but Ariza knows how to get the body ready for that. Hopefully I'm wrong and Pac shows up with stamina and explosiveness, he will need it or he will get embarrassed.

I got the same feeling..... to me, Ariza has always seemed to be on his own agenda
CHEF is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I might be heavily biased on the matter, but why have a S&C expert in your camp if your not going to use him?

Manny is a fighter who's success has been strongly based on his physical gifts and his conditioning. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to not maximise his S&C. It's not as if you can't do both S&C and boxing in camp. The boxing part of training, practising little moves here and there, certain combinations, tactics, feints, foot position etc doesn't have to take up too much energy, so there's no excuse for it.

I didn't know that Manny had stopped S&C, but it'd certainly explain why he's gone from throwing ridiculous amounts of punches non stop per round to a fighter who fights in bursts only. Very strange decision. I knew there was beef between Roach and Ariza so maybe Manny and Freddie have compromised on him - Ariza gets to stick around as a 'friend' for Manny, but Manny doesn't work on S&C with him. Big mistake imo.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
CHEF
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post
I agree. its not ONLY about strength... its about muscle stamina. IMO there needs to be some strength work, but muscle conditioning should be throughout camp right up to fight week where you slow things down and just maintain for the week

that is what wlad and I do
CHEF is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 928

I will go on record and say that pac 's cramping are due to his heavy shoes. Their super heavy and not light compared to other boxing soes
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
CHEF
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
I might be heavily biased on the matter, but why have a S&C expert in your camp if your not going to use him?

Manny is a fighter who's success has been strongly based on his physical gifts and his conditioning. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to not maximise his S&C. It's not as if you can't do both S&C and boxing in camp. The boxing part of training, practising little moves here and there, certain combinations, tactics, feints, foot position etc doesn't have to take up too much energy, so there's no excuse for it.

I didn't know that Manny had stopped S&C, but it'd certainly explain why he's gone from throwing ridiculous amounts of punches non stop per round to a fighter who fights in bursts only. Very strange decision. I knew there was beef between Roach and Ariza so maybe Manny and Freddie have compromised on him - Ariza gets to stick around as a 'friend' for Manny, but Manny doesn't work on S&C with him. Big mistake imo.
In my 8 years with the Klitschko brothers I have found much of it has to do with the boxer feeling comfortable. Obviously Manny is comfortable and wants Ariza to be around so things feel the same....I guess the extra work with Ariza is secondary....

boxers like familiarity ...and thats what Ariza brings
CHEF is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobyZhee View Post
I will go on record and say that pac 's cramping are due to his heavy shoes. Their super heavy and not light compared to other boxing soes
Pretty sure the nike Machomai are known as light shoes. Criticism received by them is that they sacrificed traction and ankle protection for lightness. Makes no sense for a guy who hops around like a kangaroo in the ring to wear heavy shoes.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF View Post
In my 8 years with the Klitschko brothers I have found much of it has to do with the boxer feeling comfortable. Obviously Manny is comfortable and wants Ariza to be around so things feel the same....I guess the extra work with Ariza is secondary....

boxers like familiarity ...and thats what Ariza brings
Are you the chef or S&C coach for Klitschko's?

In your opinion, would Klitschko's be as successful without the modern training tools incorporated into their training, ie weights, nutrition science? So if they had just stuck to good old fashion training, sit ups, pushups, running etc.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Alex thinks the cramps are due to the lack of his program...hope that's not an excuse come fight night. Although he said he brought in that trainer for the basketball players to focus on his legs, so in theory there should be no problem. Not sure if Alex is the common denominator here but in general, you shouldn't need an insane level of specification to be able to box well IMO.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Sleep View Post
I dont agree. I understand you reference to the past but as science has advanced so have athletes. Its non refutable evidence. You think athletes of the past could compete with athletes of today, I dont. Yeah there are exceptions (SRR, Marciano, SRL) could have competed in any era, but I doubt the best young fighters of today are just doing push ups, sit ups and roadwork..
You don't think guys that could go 15 rounds and could knock dudes out who outweighed them by 60 lbs could compete today?
ROACH is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum