Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238
Lightbulb Your Assessment of Carlos Molina?

What do you think of him as a fighter?

Here's a full video of his last bout:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

From what I see, he's clearly a very well built fighter, seems to have relatively good hand speed, not a huge amount of power but he doesn't seem to be feather-fisted either. He's not really an all out brawling type of fighter but he seems to be able to apply pressure when he wants. With a lot of what he's said, I see him trying to maul Amir, especially as he works with Mares' trainer (hopefully he doesn't throw as many damn low blows as him).

I think he gives Amir a really solid fight over 12 rounds. Might even be close with his sort of style, unless he can't handle Amir's speed. What do you gentlemen think? Can he push Amir close?

Please don't give an opinion by what you see on his record or a quick viewing of him fighting, because if we're going by that, then most of you have been wrong in picking Khan in his last two fights.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default Re: Your Assessment of Carlos Molina?

I think he's well out of his depth. It's not an interesting fight at all.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

It's a hand picked opponent for a guaranteed win. Nothing more, nothing less. I've seen a bit of him and can't see what he can do to trouble Khan.

If Khan struggles badly or loses this, he really is finished. But he won't do
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
HARDCORE HEALEY
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Im putting money on Khan loosing, just like i have done for his last 2 fights. Khan to get stopped!
HARDCORE HEALEY is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

interesting, hes a stocky, rough looking ****er and looks like he hits a lot harder than his record suggests, and he did well boxing at range against the taller fighter here, not something he wants to do against Khan though.

Having said that, he did catch Jiminez with some sharp left hook counters when Jiminez came in to punch. I don't think Jiminez used his height to his advantage here, Molina has short sharp hooks and Jiminez was taking too many on the inside, if Khan stands with the earmuffs up, Molina will rough him up, no question.

He has pretty good handspeed and a nice sharp jab, but I think his work rate is an issue.

Khan, coming off a KO defeat, will NOT be able to coast past this guy, he better be at the top of his game.

I say this after watching him for the first time, the guy is no slouch, powerful, and he looks to be good in every department, if not spectacular, and he will be coming fancying his chances and knowing exactly what he has to do to win
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
interesting, hes a stocky, rough looking ****er and looks like he hits a lot harder than his record suggests, and he did well boxing at range against the taller fighter here, not something he wants to do against Khan though.

Having said that, he did catch Jiminez with some sharp left hook counters when Jiminez came in to punch. I don't think Jiminez used his height to his advantage here, Molina has short sharp hooks and Jiminez was taking too many on the inside, if Khan stands with the earmuffs up, Molina will rough him up, no question.

He has pretty good handspeed and a nice sharp jab, but I think his work rate is an issue.

Khan, coming off a KO defeat, will NOT be able to coast past this guy, he better be at the top of his game.

I say this after watching him for the first time, the guy is no slouch, powerful, and he looks to be good in every department, if not spectacular, and he will be coming fancying his chances and knowing exactly what he has to do to win
I agree with this assessment.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Khan will win this easily. Will be his easiest win since Salita
BretN is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretN View Post
Khan will win this easily. Will be his easiest win since Salita

I don't think this guy is quite as fragile as old Dmitriy, time will tell, he's no slouch and he has some of the tools that may trouble Khan (short left hook counter in exchanges, short hooks on the inside, rough and tough) and hes a good comeback opponent for a guy coming off a bad KO loss
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
IRONSENSE2002
muslim and proud
ESB Addict

it really depends on how depleted khan is mentally from the garcia defeat, he could be in a shell throughout the fight and refuse to engage, in which case this guy could just pounce on him and wail away.
IRONSENSE2002 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I think he's well out of his depth. It's not an interesting fight at all.
This. I see nothing in Molina that makes me think he'll trouble Khan in any way
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Pt84
Journeyman

I see what your saying about molina with the short hooks. But he does seem limited by his size against Khan. He can be an aggressive come forward fighter and fight on the inside. But khans reach and speed will be way too much. This guy doesnt have maidana or garcia power. It will be Kotelnik landslide or a quick stoppage.....................no more than 6
Pt84 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt84 View Post
I see what your saying about molina with the short hooks. But he does seem limited by his size against Khan. He can be an aggressive come forward fighter and fight on the inside. But khans reach and speed will be way too much. This guy doesnt have maidana or garcia power. It will be Kotelnik landslide or a quick stoppage.....................no more than 6
yes Khan on top of his game using his reach and speed would be too much, but it all depends how Khan fights the fight and how much that loss took out of him mentally and/or physically, my point is this isn't a guy that khan can cruise against/fight sloppy and still win easily, he is definately a potential banana skin
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

he is a decent fighter who is gonna get shitted on here cause khan is fighting him
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

He's tidy, You can see he's been schooled to a pretty decent standard. He changes rhythm. Will use short steps then start to bounce laterally and then move back in which is smart. His jab is seems to be a range finder, he throws the odd up jab but mostly i think he just wants to feel you then attack.

It seemed in that fight that it took him 4-5 mins to gauge his range then start landing. It seemed like his lack of height and the opponents movement seemed to make him cautious of over comitting.

Once Again tidy this time in the pocket, He slips and rolls back from shots and counters with a bit of snap. I think Khan would do well to put two and three punches together when working at range. I think Molina may struggle with the second punch due to his defence and slower feet.

He seems to take shots to body, Khan you'd like to think would go upstairs downstairs and really befuddle Carlos. Molina seems to burst into life but doesn't seem a dangerous threat in terms of power. It's all on Khan IMO. The fight's destiny is in his hands really. Molina seems content to do his work and take a break and will most probably wait on Khan to make mistakes.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

I was actually waiting for your opinion, Mand. As always, a very good one. (You also, Brenny!)

It's interesting, and like you say, it really is down to Khan. Virgil would be teaching him poise for the most part and staying calm but I think his energy bunny sorta style may just suit him versus Molina if he opts do that instead of a settled one where Molina may just be able to establish some sort of rhythm. I can't quite feel an upset seeing as how Amir has been in with guys his height and who are naturally stronger (Peterson, Garcia, Maidana) than Molina is. Amir has always done better with shorter guys, but they haven't quite been towards the level of which a very motivated Molina may be. Time will tell on that end.

Either way, I don't think this man is a Salita. If his trainer and conditioner are anything to go by, he's a very good fighter and it could be a tough-ish 12 rounds for Amir.
Lazarus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum