Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #106
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Interesting that he "cherry picked" more ranked contenders than any other great heavyweight outside of Louis, Ali and Holmes, for the fewest losses of these, too.
Ah Ha!
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #107
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Good points mate, and I agree with nearly all of that.

I was very frustrated when Roy was fighting his mando's, but it's not as straight forward as saying, bigger fights could have been made.

Bigger fights around that time were trying to be made. The DM fight was trying to get made, and the Hopkins rematch until Hop priced himself out. When those fights couldn't get made, that's when he made the decision to go up to heavy.

I just wondered if there was a particular fighter that you think Roy cherry picked?

Nice debating with you mate.

Regards, Loudon.
I must admit I'm not too versed on the whole Roy-DM situation but I've been reading about it. However, I don't really have a definitive opinion on that rate now, maybe sometime in the future. As for the Hopkins rematch, Bhop didn't want to risk his MW reign even for big $$$ as Joe and Roy both found out . As for Roy going up to heavy I can do nothing but applaud him for that considering he won the belt, even if Ruiz wasn't the most spectacular HW champ ever.

As to a particular fight he cherry picked people like Dave Telesco, Clinton woods, Richard Frazier and Grant. The sort of fighters that were never on Roy's level. Maybe cherrypicked is a bit harsh but he didn't need to fight every mandatory. However, as you said once the LHW dried up and after he was caught on steroids he went up to HW which was great
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #108
D_Andrade
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Any british fighter! Except Froch tbh
D_Andrade is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #109
brando18b4h
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Carmen Basilio never cherry picked,Charles Burley, i am going to reach out and say Roberto Duran as well.
brando18b4h is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #110
Toker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando18b4h View Post
Carmen Basilio never cherry picked,Charles Burley, i am going to reach out and say Roberto Duran as well.
I'd add Harry Greb to that list as well.
Toker is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #111
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzel View Post
So, because someone else shares your opinion, and that opinion is printed in a newspaper it becomes a fact does it?
And if somthing is in a newspaper it must be true huh? Sucker,wake up
Newspapers containing factual accounts of what happened. Not opinion pieces.
Sucker wake up.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #112
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzel View Post
This is an opinion see, not a fact. Do you understand?
You watch that fight between Bruno and Lewis and tell me it's not true.

At the time of Lewis career,the media didnt praise him including the newspaper from his own country.

And that quote was taken from one of the trainers,I think he would know about boxing. So not really an opinion.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #113
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt View Post
Gotta be joking.... he admits to cherrypicking Hagler and Duran II
yeah but that was the quality of Hagler and Duran, and also Hearns when he picked him in the rematch mean those were legit things, and the handpicking of Duran was not a handpicking really. He beat Duran the same as Duran got Ray made when he called Juanita a name and Ray got mad. And he thought Tommy was washed up after Kinchen in late 1988 and signed to fight him in 1989.And then he fought Duran again in 1989 when instead of Hearns and Duran he maybe should have proved he could beat Michael Nunn. but those 3 guys are top fighters who were still legends. so it was fair there. And the fact was Lalonde and the weight issues were ridiculous. 2 titles and not fighting a guy rated at 168 or fighting Lalonde for his title at 175.. I still think it was ridiculous, but I have so much respect for Ray in beating Duran,Hearns,Hagler and Benitez that I just think it was his ego trying to get easy belts.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #114
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando18b4h View Post
That wouldn't be a reach at all.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #115
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
yeah but that was the quality of Hagler and Duran, and also Hearns when he picked him in the rematch mean those were legit things, and the handpicking of Duran was not a handpicking really. He beat Duran the same as Duran got Ray made when he called Juanita a name and Ray got mad. And he thought Tommy was washed up after Kinchen in late 1988 and signed to fight him in 1989.And then he fought Duran again in 1989 when instead of Hearns and Duran he maybe should have proved he could beat Michael Nunn. but those 3 guys are top fighters who were still legends. so it was fair there. And the fact was Lalonde and the weight issues were ridiculous. 2 titles and not fighting a guy rated at 168 or fighting Lalonde for his title at 175.. I still think it was ridiculous, but I have so much respect for Ray in beating Duran,Hearns,Hagler and Benitez that I just think it was his ego trying to get easy belts.

Leonard definitely cherry-picked late in his career in the late 80s.

His opposition earlier was amazing with Benitez, Duran 2x, Hearns, and even Kalule in a two year period. And although he admittedly waited until Hagler slowed down, Leonard himself hadn't had an official fight in 3 years and was the smaller man.

So although he did some cherry-picking and picked his spots later on, he also has more than enough real quality wins to show his ATGness.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #116
Beatle
Sheer Analysis
ESB Addict

vCash: 1395

1. Jack Dempsey
2. Gene Tunney
3. Sven Ottke
4. Vitali Klitchko
5. Lennox Lewis
6. Joe Calzaghe
7. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
8. Sergio Martinez
Beatle is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #117
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

You can't criticize a ****ing thing Leonard did prior to 1982. It's neither feasible nor realistic. All he did was completely mop the 147 scene up and beat high quality fighters. Took out five contenders including Benitez in a single year, amongst the dozen or so he took out in less than 30 months time. Duran is my favorite fighter of all-time but sorry, he was the champion and coming off the greatest performance of his and almost anybody else's lives. There never would've been a good time for a rematch. If they had it in March instead of November, he's still gonna be a fat ass from the same amount of weeks when he starts training to the day of the fight. Maybe even worse.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #118
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
You can't criticize a ****ing thing Leonard did prior to 1982. It's neither feasible nor realistic. All he did was completely mop the 147 scene up and beat high quality fighters. Took out five contenders including Benitez in a single year, amongst the dozen or so he took out in less than 30 months time. Duran is my favorite fighter of all-time but sorry, he was the champion and coming off the greatest performance of his and almost anybody else's lives. There never would've been a good time for a rematch. If they had it in March instead of November, he's still gonna be a fat ass from the same amount of weeks to the day of the fight. Maybe even worse.
He ducked Aaron Pryor

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkueYMWWxuc[/ame]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #119
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Interesting that he "cherry picked" more ranked contenders than any other great heavyweight outside of Louis, Ali and Holmes, for the fewest losses of these, too.
Lewis best wins are Tua and Ruddock.
Beating Tyson 10 years past his prime is nothing,beating an older Holyfield means nothing. Who else did Lewis beat? The names on his record are BS.
He fought good names,not good fighters. Holyfield had trouble with Vaugh Bean and John Ruiz and Lewis even called him a "has been"
then Lewis fights him sometime after.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #120
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Pryor turned down the fight.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4zwWwNhls&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4zwWwNhls&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Little known fact: Pryor accepted a second offer for $700,000 and signed a contract. He was going to fight Leonard after Stafford. They discovered the detached retina prior to the SRL-Stafford fight.

Pryor never did shit at Welterweight.

Pryor gets destroyed, and Leonard is criticized for fighting him today.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum