Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #121
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Pryor turned down the fight.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Little known fact: Pryor accepted a second offer for $700,000 and signed a contract. He was going to fight Leonard after Stafford. They discovered the detached retina prior to the SRL-Stafford fight.

Pryor never did shit at Welterweight.

Pryor gets destroyed, and Leonard is criticized for fighting him today.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #122
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

An attack on Leonard is an indirect attack on Duran's win.

And I'll bury you for that shit.

147 Leonard is almost completely flawless.

He didnt duck Cuevas either, you ****eyed mother****ers.

After Leonard won his first world title by stopping Benitez for the WBC welterweight title in November 1979, there loomed an obvious candidate for a big money fight, and his name was not Roberto Duran. In early 1980, the mexican welterweight Jose "Pepino" Cuevas was boxing's longest reigning champion having won his WBA title in 1976 and defended it on ten occasions.

A showdown between the two 147-pound claimants seemed not only natural but inevitable, and the ground work for the fight was laid by Leonard's first WBC title defense, a fourth round one-punch knockout over England's Davey Boy Green in March of 1980.

A deal for the Leonard-Cuevas fight had actually been reached, with the approval of both sanctioning bodies, but the proposed match-up rapidly began to unravel amid charges of backroom politicking involving some unlikely bedfellows.

Although Leonard was the standard bearer of the World Boxing Council, the organization was headquartered in Mexico, and WBC President Jose Sulaiman implored his countryman to step aside and pave the way for a Duran challenge to Leonard (a cynic might have noted Sulaiman's cozy relationship with Don King at work in these machinations: Leonard-Cuevas would have been a big fight on which King would not have made a single peso).

The World Boxing Association, whose title Cuevas held, was based in Duran's home country, and the military government there turned the thumbscrews on a pair of Panamanian officials, WBA president Rodrigo Sanchez and Elias Cordova, the chairman of the organization's championship committee.

Col. Ruben Paredes, who headed up the National Guard of Panamanian dictator Gen. Omar Torrijos, paid a visit to the WBA offices and strongly intimated that it would be in Sanchez's best interests to pull the plug on Leonard-Cuevas. Paredes represented the muscle of Torrijos. Torrijos principal padrone was Carlos Eleta, Duran's influential backer.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #123
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Hearns wasn't weight drained either.

Exclusive RING interview with Hearns from Jan 1982.

R: You weighed 145 pounds for the fight, surprisingly light isn't it?

H: People think just because I'm tall and have a big upperbody that I should be heavier and that I have problems making 147 pounds. Let me set the record straight right now. I don't have any problems making 147 pounds. I think I proved that by coming in at 145.

R: Might you have overtrained or de-hydrated from making the weight?

H: I couldn't have been de-hydrated. I told you, I made the weight naturally. I didn't have to starve myself. I ate like I always eat before a fight. As for overtraining, that couldn't have been possible. When a fighter overtrains, he gets tired and is not strong during a bout. I never got tired and felt very strong. All I know is that I didn't sweat that much.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #124
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Floyd Mayweather Jr... Hands down the master at fighting shitty opponents and selling the fights. He has tricked the world into thinking he's elite.. Guess what? He's not. He has cherry picked his way to the top. The guy will get knocked out as soon as he fights a prime elite fighter... That's why he ducked a Prime Cotto, Prime Pac, Martinez..
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #125
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

To be fair, Mayweather only started cherry picking after the DLH fight when he became the star of boxing
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #126
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
He ducked Aaron Pryor

How many times must this stupid Legendary Nights myth be shut down?

Pryor rejected the fight, he wanted more than the $500k Leonard was offering. This is from Aaron's own mouth after the Blackmoore fight.

For comparisons, Pryor had just made about $50k earlier beating Pambele for the title.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #127
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Tezel is just prodding me, and it always works.

He thinks I'm an SRL fanboy. I just made my agenda pretty clear above.

And it's the TRUTH. All of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #128
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt
Team Floyd is what I call a good cherry picker, somewhere along the lines of SRL (the goat of cherry picking, too bad he revealed it).

Team Pac is what I call horrible cherry picking.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
November 06, 1986

With obvious pride, promoter Bob Arum stepped before microphones and cameras Monday in New York to announce that arrangements had been completed for the ``fight of the century.``

Arum, a lawyer and former Internal Revenue Service agent, is smarter than that.

What he has in hand is the boxing hoax of the ages: Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard, April 6 in Las Vegas.

It`s the best fighter in the world against a guy who was knocked down in his last fight three years ago and retired because he couldn`t, or wouldn`t, take it anymore.

Hagler will be paid $12 million for 12 rounds, or less, and Leonard will get $11 million. All of it is guaranteed money with promise of more.

No one, no event, in the long history of sports ever has produced such income. Hagler-Leonard, Arum says, could gross an unworldly $100 million.

Such is the appeal of a major fight. But it`s strange, because this doesn`t figure to be much of a fight at all.

We have yet to find a knowledgeable boxing man who gives Leonard, the former welterweight champion, any sort of chance against Hagler, the destructive middleweight champion.

Early odds in Las Vegas list Hagler as a 4-to-1 favorite, but this is merely an invitation to bettors. The odds will swing heavily upward in Hagler`s favor.

The problem with this fight is that it should have been scheduled five days earlier, on April Fools` Day.

For if ever there were an awful joke in championship sports, it`s Leonard vs. Hagler for the World Boxing Council middleweight title.

Two of the sport`s governing bodies have refused to sanction the fight. Normally more accommodating, the World Boxing Association insisted that the fight must be scheduled for 15 rounds, its standard. The International Boxing Federation nixed it because its rules bar fighters who have had eye retina damage (Leonard).
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #129
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Yep,right up there with the worst.Picking those two really shows what a cowardly bum Ray was.
Dude, he demanded 12 rounds and a 20 foot ring !

Those weren't the conditions for Hearns and Mugabi. Oh, wait.

Last edited by Hands of Iron; 11-30-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #130
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
How many times must this stupid Legendary Nights myth be shut down?

Pryor rejected the fight, he wanted more than the $500k Leonard was offering. This is from Aaron's own mouth after the Blackmoore fight.

For comparisons, Pryor had just made about $50k earlier beating Pambele for the title.

Probably never.You could start a thread saying "Where should SRL be on the all time P4P list?" and you're guaranteed you'll get some idiot within a page or two saying "He ducked Pryor"
Pryor had great wins at 140 but let's not forget his most famous win was over a great SFW and he got there with some dubious help.
And spare me the rematch shit.Arguello was done at the first bell of the first fight.

Quote:
Dude, he demanded 12 rounds and a 20 foot ring !

Those weren't the conditions for Hearns and Mugabi. Oh, wait.
You've excelled as usual in this thread mate.I think some people tend to forget that Tommy and Cholo were the ones who really wanted these fights.
I suspect Ray was well aware that from 160 upwards,any young and hungry lion with real quality would have too much for him by 1988.Is it really that much of a bad thing that he took big fights against old foes that the public wanted? Ray was far better off than Hearns and particularly Duran financially,so it became like a seniors tour,until hubris(not for the first time) had Ray by the balls and he went in against Norris,and we know how that went.
People who want to knock him for anything post-Hagler probably judge Barrera on the Khan fight,and Ali on the Berbick fight.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #131
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
I must admit I'm not too versed on the whole Roy-DM situation but I've been reading about it. However, I don't really have a definitive opinion on that rate now, maybe sometime in the future. As for the Hopkins rematch, Bhop didn't want to risk his MW reign even for big $$$ as Joe and Roy both found out . As for Roy going up to heavy I can do nothing but applaud him for that considering he won the belt, even if Ruiz wasn't the most spectacular HW champ ever.

As to a particular fight he cherry picked people like Dave Telesco, Clinton woods, Richard Frazier and Grant. The sort of fighters that were never on Roy's level. Maybe cherrypicked is a bit harsh but he didn't need to fight every mandatory. However, as you said once the LHW dried up and after he was caught on steroids he went up to HW which was great

I understand exactly where you're coming from mate, and like I say, I was frustrated too.

I wish those fights with DM and Hop had have materialised, and I wish he'd never made Tarver fight Harding in that eliminator. If he'd have beaten Tarver earlier, he probably would have stayed at heavy a little longer, or gone to Cruiser, and his career might have turned out a lot different.

It was an absolute joke that Frazier was a mandatory, but Roy didn't have a lot of choice but to fight him, because he wanted to unify the division against Reggie Johnson. It would have been silly to kick up a fuss, but I don't know how he got himself motivated for that fight. He went on to fight Reggie in his very next fight.

Roy was supposed to be fighting Rocchigianni early in 2000, but something happened where he couldn't commit to the fight. David Telesco was his replacement. HBO wanted the fight with Telesco, and he'd been baiting Roy for a while.

Regarding Woods, I've heard Roy say that he didn't want the fight, but the IBF threatened to strip him if he didn't take it.

There's a lot of politics in boxing, and things are never as straight forward as they seem.

I found this interesting article a few days ago.

This shows that it would have been impossible for Roy to try and unify the 168 division, what he gets a lot of criticism for.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is online now  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #132
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from mate, and like I say, I was frustrated too.

I wish those fights with DM and Hop had have materialised, and I wish he'd never made Tarver fight Harding in that eliminator. If he'd have beaten Tarver earlier, he probably would have stayed at heavy a little longer, or gone to Cruiser, and his career might have turned out a lot different.

It was an absolute joke that Frazier was a mandatory, but Roy didn't have a lot of choice but to fight him, because he wanted to unify the division against Reggie Johnson. It would have been silly to kick up a fuss, but I don't know how he got himself motivated for that fight. He went on to fight Reggie in his very next fight.

Roy was supposed to be fighting Rocchigianni early in 2000, but something happened where he couldn't commit to the fight. David Telesco was his replacement. HBO wanted the fight with Telesco, and he'd been baiting Roy for a while.

Regarding Woods, I've heard Roy say that he didn't want the fight, but the IBF threatened to strip him if he didn't take it.

There's a lot of politics in boxing, and things are never as straight forward as they seem.

I found this interesting article a few days ago.

This shows that it would have been impossible for Roy to try and unify the 168 division, what he gets a lot of criticism for.

Regards, Loudon.
I agree that the fights with BHop and DM would've been great stuff for boxing at the time and would certainly have settled a lot of arguments about lineage that are still taking place.

Yeah the Mandatory system is sometimes ridiculous but on the flip side it helps fighters get their desired title shot.

Fair enough with Telesco and Woods if Roy didn't really want the fight but his arm was twisted. However, as you know and said it's never that simple in the end.

As for Roy staying at Heavy, great as he was I would've worried for him going in with a hard hitter at HW could have hurt rather than helped his career.

Yeah it's an interesting article, but apart from a throwaway unconfirmed Don King quote, we only hear from Levin so it could contain an element of bias.

I must say I liked this quote

"Jones, who usually leads with lightning left hooks, unwrapped a jab that looked like one of those "smart" missiles from Desert Storm. He outjabbed Pazienza by an incredible 85-4 margin."

The part about smart missiles made me chuckle

nice talking to you
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #133
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Probably never.You could start a thread saying "Where should SRL be on the all time P4P list?" and you're guaranteed you'll get some idiot within a page or two saying "He ducked Pryor"
Pryor had great wins at 140 but let's not forget his most famous win was over a great SFW and he got there with some dubious help.
And spare me the rematch shit.Arguello was done at the first bell of the first fight.

You've excelled as usual in this thread mate.I think some people tend to forget that Tommy and Cholo were the ones who really wanted these fights.
I suspect Ray was well aware that from 160 upwards,any young and hungry lion with real quality would have too much for him by 1988.Is it really that much of a bad thing that he took big fights against old foes that the public wanted? Ray was far better off than Hearns and particularly Duran financially,so it became like a seniors tour,until hubris(not for the first time) had Ray by the balls and he went in against Norris,and we know how that went.
People who want to knock him for anything post-Hagler probably judge Barrera on the Khan fight,and Ali on the Berbick fight.
Chalk up another 'W' and put it in the bank. This shit is Over, and it wasn't even close. It's like the Plague Burial when we step up in here.

I told you some time ago that Ray was the next "target" on here. God damn kids.

Regards,

Loudo... Hands of Iron.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #134
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
I agree that the fights with BHop and DM would've been great stuff for boxing at the time and would certainly have settled a lot of arguments about lineage that are still taking place.

Yeah the Mandatory system is sometimes ridiculous but on the flip side it helps fighters get their desired title shot.

Fair enough with Telesco and Woods if Roy didn't really want the fight but his arm was twisted. However, as you know and said it's never that simple in the end.

As for Roy staying at Heavy, great as he was I would've worried for him going in with a hard hitter at HW could have hurt rather than helped his career.

Yeah it's an interesting article, but apart from a throwaway unconfirmed Don King quote, we only hear from Levin so it could contain an element of bias.

I must say I liked this quote

"Jones, who usually leads with lightning left hooks, unwrapped a jab that looked like one of those "smart" missiles from Desert Storm. He outjabbed Pazienza by an incredible 85-4 margin."

The part about smart missiles made me chuckle

nice talking to you
Yeah it was a great quote ha! Do you remember when Prince Naz used to talk about letting his two rocket launchers go, and his corkscrew uppercut? Ha! Those were the days.

Regarding the Levin quote, yes we only have his word on that, but General Zod posted a thread on here titled "Benn, Jones and King" and Don wanted Roy to tie into a three fight deal, but Roy wouldn't do it.

Nice debating with you, as always.

Regards, Loudon.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #135
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Chalk up another 'W' and put it in the bank. This shit is Over, and it wasn't even close. It's like the Plague Burial when we step up in here.

I told you some time ago that Ray was the next "target" on here. God damn kids.

Regards,

Loudo... Hands of Iron.
Ha! Hi mate, you certainly know your stuff.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

Regards, Loudon.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum