Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Arrow Department Of Consumer Affairs investigates Cotto's Showtime PPV in PR

Long story short, they received complaints from Puerto Ricans about why they had to pay for the fight while the rest of the world didn't. The Department Of Consumer Affairs filed a petition to Showtime to provide a reason as to why they were discriminating against Puerto Rico. Showtime replied today by telling them that it was Cotto's decision to charge for the fight in PR. He says that Puerto Rico will get a special extended broadcast of the event that will showcase other Miguel Cotto Promotions fighters. Showtime mentioned that in Miguel's own words, he said that the income will be used to keep bringing boxing events to PR (whatever that means).

I just translated the whole fiasco for your reading enjoyment. It has been hot news locally for the past 2 days.

My opinion as a Puerto Rican customer:

I paid for the fight as soon as it became available. It does bother me a bit that Cotto was the one responsible for this. Also, I don't mind it being a PPV but the fact that nobody else has to pay for it but us, his biggest supporters, bothers me a bit as well. Still excited though and getting an extended experience is good news for me, I love that Saturday night PPV big event format. Hypes me up even more.

SOURCE: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1440
Default Re: Department Of Consumer Affairs investigates Cotto's Showtime PPV in PR

thats it ? Yeah it sucks but i was expecting something way worse.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Department Of Consumer Affairs investigates Cotto's Showtime PPV in PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbot View Post
thats it ? Yeah it sucks but i was expecting something way worse.
Like what?
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Blow Combos View Post
Like what?
Like, I don't know, Cotto taking their money and not showing the fight at all or something.

But this is normal. Hatton's recent fight here in the UK was PPV, whilst the rest -- in the US -- it was shown for free. Happens all the time.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

Same shit happens in canada with Lucie
Xerant is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Da Boxer
Cotto Soldier
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I Puertorican and I only have one thing to say about this:

WAR COTTO!!!!!
Da Boxer is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1440

that was a lot of scrolling
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerant View Post
Same shit happens in canada with Lucie
True,but the only ones who buy it are Quebecers.You can probably count the number of out of province buyers on one hand.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Ianian58
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 300

At least we can see more fights. Would be nice to see some possible future champions. Now if there was no extended broadcast Cotto would've probably been branded traitor and sent to Mexico.

I know my people.
Ianian58 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Fighters have their own best interest in mind, not that of their countrymen.
It was Cotto's decision to make his fight PPV in Puerto Rico, because thats the only place his fight will sell.

Cotto-Trout in the US likely gets less than 10,000 buys. Not nearly enough to merit the costs of the sattelites and cable companies from putting it on.
The promotion likely loses money if they stage it PPV in the US.

In the meantime Puerto Ricans can either pay up and be happy , or not pay up and know that Miguel Cotto asks of them of their money to see him perform.

I certainly cant fault Cotto for maximizing his profit, afterall its his life and health he puts at stake everytime he climbs that ring.
divac is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Fighters have their own best interest in mind, not that of their countrymen.
It was Cotto's decision to make his fight PPV in Puerto Rico, because thats the only place his fight will sell.

Cotto-Trout in the US likely gets less than 10,000 buys. Not nearly enough to merit the costs of the sattelites and cable companies from putting it on.
The promotion likely loses money if they stage it PPV in the US.

In the meantime Puerto Ricans can either pay up and be happy , or not pay up and know that Miguel Cotto asks of them of their money to see him perform.

I certainly cant fault Cotto for maximizing his profit, afterall its his life and health he puts at stake everytime he climbs that ring.
He could of just fought Pacquaio and he wouldn't have to worry about ppv, why take the hard earned money of your fellow people
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

i would not blame cotto that much since he is a prize fighter but if boricuas are used to seeing his fights on free tv, then i understand also the issue. in the phillipines, it's a bit different. we see pac's fights in free tv. you just have to contend with long commercials and possible spoilers since the fight is obviously delayed due to advertisements between rounds. same case with other fighters.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
He could of just fought Pacquaio and he wouldn't have to worry about ppv, why take the hard earned money of your fellow people
My understanding is that Cotto wanted the Pacquiao fight but this time at his weight of 154 lbs. He was'n willing to sacrifice and be possibly weakened trying to make weight, as possibly could have had some effect on him last time.

I certainly cannot blame Cotto for that.

I'd say being in Cotto's position is tough. I dont think he has that much time as a champion. He's lost to the elites, and there' is'nt much time for him to make real money.
I just cant knock a fighter who risks his health everytime they climb a ring.
More so than any other sport out there, I think fighters deserve as much money as they can get.

Having said that, it would have been nice of Cotto had he let Puerto Rico watch for free.
divac is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3583

Puertoriccane was saying something about this in the "Cotto thread".
Danm! This does seem like a bad situation for Miguel.
(Public relations)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Zombieguy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cotto is an independent contractor. Showtime is a private company. Neither owes Puerto Rico anything. He may charge/not charge anybody he wants for his services to fight. If they do not want to pay, they do not have to receive the service. But Cotto is not their slave and he does not have to fight for them.

Everybody these days thinks they are entitled to things they are not. Puerto Rico thinks Cotto and Showtime cannot charge them for this fight because they're not charging anyone else. They think they have a right to see this fight. If I want to charge admission to a party for Person A but not for Person B that is my business. Dick move for sure but it's my party so it's my concern. It is not discrimination or criminal. It is business. Why does nobody understand this?
Zombieguy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum