Tommy wins by TKO 20 37.74%
Tommy wins by KO 19 35.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #31
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Oscar De la Hoya vs Thomas Hearns, 147, somebody gets KO'd, or decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
No, you don't, jackass. Here we go, again! I disagree with myself very rarely, if ever.
...You did kinda disagree with yourself there champ!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #32
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Oscar De la Hoya vs Thomas Hearns, 147, somebody gets KO'd, or decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
No, you don't, jackass. Here we go, again! I disagree with myself very rarely, if ever.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #33
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #34
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thought id throw this one in too.This was a tough fight for DLH.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #35
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Unfortunately for Oscar (and almost every other boxer puncher not named SRL that has ever fought at 147), Hearns is taller and longer, so boxing him wouldn't work. The only way SRL was able to beat Hearns was by taking the fight to him, being aggressive, and trying to get close enough to Hearns to wear him down brawling inside in the hopes of eventually catching him with something.

Could DLH do the same? My guess is probably not. SRL had better handspeed and stamina than DLH, and a better workrate as well. They're pretty close power wise; I'd say DLH had the better left hook and left uppercut, and SRL had an exponentially better right hand. DLH had excellent timing and counterpunching ability later in his career, especially at 154, but at 147, these skills hadn't developed as much.

Basically, since DLH can't outbox Hearns to a decision, and it wasn't his natural style or gameplan to try and wear someone down in close quarters brawling, the only way he'd be able to beat Hearns is to do what Barkley did, which was to press forward and eventually try and time Hearns with a huge bomb at mid-range and then go for the kill. Unfortunately for DLH, the one punch Hearns was most vulnerable to was the overhand right, because of how low he held his left hand. DLH later developed a solid straight right as a counter or lead, but it was never a KO punch for him, and he never had a strong overhand right either. He'd have a lot more difficult trying to catch Hearns with a left hook or uppercut.

DLH would have his best chance to win the fight with an aggressive, come-forward plan of trying to look for a chance to time Hearns for a big counter and then go for the KO. He'd have about 5-6 rounds to do this. If he can't do that, he eventually gets TKO'd (in a 15 round fight) or loses a decision (in a 12 round fight.)

DLH was a great fighter, but Hearns was better and a terrible style matchup for Oscar (and honestly just about anyone ever at 147.)
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #36
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Tommy wins, can't predict how because there are so many different variables that could happen that could change the fight but i think overall Tommy is a little better than Oscar
Theron is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #37
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

hearns by ko before the end of the 4th
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

an aggressive DLH has a shot
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
None taken..But bobbin and weavin, great head work and constant movement is great defense, Look at how he was makin Ali miss big shots in theyre first fight..Foreman just had Joes number and was just to much for him, Name me a good fighter that Foreman fought where he never exposes a mans defense with pure brute force. So im sorry but Foreman was a bad example my man.
I am the biggest Frazier fan on here....and even I know this is a horrible ****ysis. Did Frazier have defense...Yes! was it great....not even close....certainly not even remotely comprable to the other names the you used.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Oscar, by his own admission, was nervous enough about Quartey's power that he got real tenative and didn't throw much.

Well, Hearns had a bigger right hand, faster hands, and was simply a better fighter than Quartey (who won at least 7 rounds against Oscar, who did nothing in the mid rounds).

Hearns by decision.

Oscar has a slim chance at landing a great left hook and stopping Hearns, but it isn't likely. Hell, look at how long it took for Leonard, one of the greatest finishers ever, to finish Hearns.
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #41
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
Unfortunately for Oscar (and almost every other boxer puncher not named SRL that has ever fought at 147), Hearns is taller and longer, so boxing him wouldn't work. The only way SRL was able to beat Hearns was by taking the fight to him, being aggressive, and trying to get close enough to Hearns to wear him down brawling inside in the hopes of eventually catching him with something.

Could DLH do the same? My guess is probably not. SRL had better handspeed and stamina than DLH, and a better workrate as well. They're pretty close power wise; I'd say DLH had the better left hook and left uppercut, and SRL had an exponentially better right hand. DLH had excellent timing and counterpunching ability later in his career, especially at 154, but at 147, these skills hadn't developed as much.

Basically, since DLH can't outbox Hearns to a decision, and it wasn't his natural style or gameplan to try and wear someone down in close quarters brawling, the only way he'd be able to beat Hearns is to do what Barkley did, which was to press forward and eventually try and time Hearns with a huge bomb at mid-range and then go for the kill. Unfortunately for DLH, the one punch Hearns was most vulnerable to was the overhand right, because of how low he held his left hand. DLH later developed a solid straight right as a counter or lead, but it was never a KO punch for him, and he never had a strong overhand right either. He'd have a lot more difficult trying to catch Hearns with a left hook or uppercut.

DLH would have his best chance to win the fight with an aggressive, come-forward plan of trying to look for a chance to time Hearns for a big counter and then go for the KO. He'd have about 5-6 rounds to do this. If he can't do that, he eventually gets TKO'd (in a 15 round fight) or loses a decision (in a 12 round fight.)

DLH was a great fighter, but Hearns was better and a terrible style matchup for Oscar (and honestly just about anyone ever at 147.)

I agree the styles would clash in Hearns favor..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I am the biggest Frazier fan on here....and even I know this is a horrible ****ysis. Did Frazier have defense...Yes! was it great....not even close....certainly not even remotely comprable to the other names the you used.
His defense was ok when he was on, thats as far as I will take it Philly.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Does everyone feel the same way about Joes defense??
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #44
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Hearns wide UD. Oscar would have his moments.

Even in a 15 rounder?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I see the stoppage happening between the 7th or 12th round,...if not sooner

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum