Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #31
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,286
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
You can tear my list down, but Im hoping other will post their own list and reasons. Remember, keep the discussion civil.

The top 12 heavyweight h2h all time

1. Muhammad Ali - Showed his ability to overcome adversity many times and his skills would carry him over nearly every fighter ever.

2. Lennox Lewis - I will inevitably hear about his chin, but no fighter had his skills, size, power and agression when he was at his very best.

3. Larry Holmes - One of the gutsiest and most determined fighters with a skillset and chin to match.

4. Joe Louis - The greatest heavyweight if all time in my opinion. That doesn't mean his style wouldn't allow him to lose at times. It wouldn't be often, but it keeps him from being the best h2h in my opinion.

5. George Foreman - The man could be beat, but lets face it he could destroy any fighter on any given night.

6. Joe Frazier - I have a feeling Frazier being so high will bring a lot of controversy. But with his skill, stamina and tenacity it think few beat him at their respective bests.

7. Sonny Liston - At his best Liston was a tyrant capeable of beating nearly any man in history....and he was mean. A skilled, hard punching fighter who wasn't just in the ring for sport...he wanted to hurt you.

8. Wladimir Klitschko - Any man who can stay focused after 7 years and keep reigning on top has to be great and a threat to most fighters in history. He still doesn't crack my all time top 10 list, but with his skills, size and logevity he deserves a spot on this one.

9. Evander Holyfield - He wan't called the warrior for nothing. Had the chin, skills and stamina to fight with the best in history.

10. Vitaly Klitschko - As much as I hate to give anything to a guy I consider hugely overrated, Vittles is a tough guy and would be at any time in history. His size and awkwardness would provide problems for mant fighters.

11. Mike Tyson - No fighter in history was better in the first 4 rounds. If you were lucky to you still weren't out of danger, but you gave yourself a chance.

12. Jack Johnson - Any man who could fight under the duress Johnson was under would persevere and be great in any era. Oh, and the guy could fight.

All of the above guys are in my top 20, though Johnson, Holyfield, and Tyson are not top ten for me. I get the sense the Klitschko's brothers are starting to gain respect from the neutal minded hard core fans. Sort of like Lewis did at the end of his career.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,416
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

01 - Ali
02 - Louis
03 - Liston
04 - Lewis
05 - Holmes
06 - Frazier
07 - Holyfield
08 - Tyson
09 - Wlad
10 - Marciano
11 - Dempsey
12 - Vitali

But who knows, really?
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
You can tear my list down, but Im hoping other will post their own list and reasons. Remember, keep the discussion civil.

The top 12 heavyweight h2h all time

1. Muhammad Ali - Showed his ability to overcome adversity many times and his skills would carry him over nearly every fighter ever.

2. Lennox Lewis - I will inevitably hear about his chin, but no fighter had his skills, size, power and agression when he was at his very best.

3. Larry Holmes - One of the gutsiest and most determined fighters with a skillset and chin to match.

4. Joe Louis - The greatest heavyweight if all time in my opinion. That doesn't mean his style wouldn't allow him to lose at times. It wouldn't be often, but it keeps him from being the best h2h in my opinion.

5. George Foreman - The man could be beat, but lets face it he could destroy any fighter on any given night.

6. Joe Frazier - I have a feeling Frazier being so high will bring a lot of controversy. But with his skill, stamina and tenacity it think few beat him at their respective bests.

7. Sonny Liston - At his best Liston was a tyrant capeable of beating nearly any man in history....and he was mean. A skilled, hard punching fighter who wasn't just in the ring for sport...he wanted to hurt you.

8. Wladimir Klitschko - Any man who can stay focused after 7 years and keep reigning on top has to be great and a threat to most fighters in history. He still doesn't crack my all time top 10 list, but with his skills, size and logevity he deserves a spot on this one.

9. Evander Holyfield - He wan't called the warrior for nothing. Had the chin, skills and stamina to fight with the best in history.

10. Vitaly Klitschko - As much as I hate to give anything to a guy I consider hugely overrated, Vittles is a tough guy and would be at any time in history. His size and awkwardness would provide problems for mant fighters.

11. Mike Tyson - No fighter in history was better in the first 4 rounds. If you were lucky to you still weren't out of danger, but you gave yourself a chance.

12. Jack Johnson - Any man who could fight under the duress Johnson was under would persevere and be great in any era. Oh, and the guy could fight.
Lewis above Ali.
Lewis is nr1.

Larry might need to be a bit lower, Louis probably too high.
frazier should be a lot lower.
Sonny should be behind Wlad and Vitali...
Vitali might be 1 or 2 places too high.
Mike Tyson should go much higher.
Holyfield can be above Tyson or share the same spot with him.

Jack Johnson shouldn't be mentioned at all in h2h arguments, way too different era.

Not going to whine where people rank Ali if he's atleast behind Lewis.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
LMAO, anyone who puts Tyson on a top 10 or top 15 list is a child or a retard. Mike was not even top 20, he never beat a great prime fighter in his life.

As for the rest of that list 50% of is is a joke.
Neither did Holmes, neither did Liston.
And Patterson was way too small for a "true" talented heavyweight like Liston, so doesn't count.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #35
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

I don't like Lewis at NO.2, and it has little to do with his chin. I don't think he would be the most effective against the most styles.

for submitting your list though
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Lol, that's the same list as mine with the exception of Marciano, Tunney and Dempsey. Marciano and Dempsey are just smaller versions of Frazier who never beat anyone close to the caliber of Ali. Tunney has no wins over an elite type heavy except Dempsey who had taken years off. How about backing up you case?


no, just no........
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 587
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

if its only h2h then riddick bowe should be inthe top 10
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 540
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Lol, that's the same list as mine
Nope, several different fighters and the placings are changed up quite a bit also.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #39
clinikill
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

My opinion varies so often.

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Sonny Liston
5. Larry Holmes
6. Wladimir Klitschko
7. Vitali Klitschko
8. Evander Holyfield
9. Joe Louis
10. George Foreman
11. Rocky Marciano
12. Joe Frazier
13. Riddick Bowe

Last edited by clinikill; 01-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.
clinikill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,394
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Nope, several different fighters and the placings are changed up quite a bit also.
Again as usual, you still haven't explained yourself. What's the problem?
JAB5239 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,394
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
01 - Ali
02 - Louis
03 - Liston
04 - Lewis
05 - Holmes
06 - Frazier
07 - Holyfield
08 - Tyson
09 - Wlad
10 - Marciano
11 - Dempsey
12 - Vitali

But who knows, really?
Like all lists they're pretty subjective. I just thought a h2h list would be different than the same old all time list. I know for me it is since a fighter like Vitaly won't get close to my all time list, but being truthful I have a difficult time not being on my h2h list. On the opposite side of the coin Marciano makes my ATG but not my h2h list.
JAB5239 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #42
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

1) Lewis
2) Louis
3) Tyson
4) Ali
5) Holmes
6) Wlad
7) Foreman
Vitali
9) Holyfield
10) Liston
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #43
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,394
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post


no, just no........
I'm not talking stylywise, I'm talking tenacity.
JAB5239 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #44
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,880
vCash: 191
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

The best version of Mike Tyson is the best HW in history. He was faster and had better punching technique than them all.

That list self defeated itself by having Wlad K number 8 and Tyson at 11 and is obvious the guy understands boxing on a very basic level.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #45
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 13 h2h heavyweights in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
The best version of Mike Tyson is the best HW in history. He was faster and had better punching technique than them all.

That list self defeated itself by having Wlad K number 8 and Tyson at 11 and is obvious the guy understands boxing on a very basic level.
While I rank Tyson above WK in the H2H context, the Wlad of the past 5 years, much like the Tyson of the 3 years from 86-89, is very, very hard to defeat. He has barely lost a round over that time span, a time span that is longer than the reigns of Frazier, Tyson, Marciano, Liston, Patterson...
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013